No late round offer despite 99.95 ATAR (EAS) because I applied "too late"? (1 Viewer)

MiseryParade

HSC
My ATAR with EAS was 99.95 (this was verified by the UNSW med office). After main round, I put down UNSW combined law as my second preference after medicine, fully expecting to get a late round offer, but didn't receive one. When I called the UNSW admissions office, they confirmed that 1) late round law offers WERE made, and that 2) my ATAR was indeed 99.95 with EAS, and that 3) EAS students weren't treated any differently when offers were made.

Admissions then told me that the late round offers were "already issued to students who had put down law in their preferences before I had" - I have never heard of this being a thing. I changed my preferences from main round (med > optom > adv sci) to include law (med > law > med sci) in the late round a couple of days before late round preference changes were closed.

I am very, very confused. The reasoning given to me by the admission is bizarre and something that I didn't think was fair (issuing offers before preferences had even closed?) and I have never heard of this happening.

Has anyone gone through a similar situation? I'm planning to call the UNSW admissions again tomorrow to ask again exactly what happened, but I am a little bummed that this happened.

Edit: Does anyone know if law is offered in the final round? Long long long shot, but one can hope :(

Last edited:

Praer

HSC
Uni Grad
My ATAR with EAS was 99.95 (this was verified by the UNSW med office). After main round, I put down UNSW combined law as my second preference after medicine, fully expecting to get a late round offer, but didn't receive one. When I called the UNSW admissions office, they confirmed that 1) late round law offers WERE made, and that 2) my ATAR was indeed 99.95 with EAS, and that 3) EAS students weren't treated any differently when offers were made.

Admissions then told me that the late round offers were "already issued to students who had put down law in their preferences before I had" - I have never heard of this being a thing. I changed my preferences from main round (med > optom > adv sci) to include law (med > law > med sci) in the late round a couple of days before late round preference changes were closed.

I am very, very confused. The reasoning given to me by the admission is bizarre and something that I didn't think was fair (issuing offers before preferences had even closed?) and I have never heard of this happening.

Has anyone gone through a similar situation? I'm planning to call the UNSW admissions again tomorrow to ask again exactly what happened, but I am a little bummed that this happened.
Sorry to hear that. But I believe that is how it's done. In fact when a person from BoS came to our school, she told us about the need to put in the preference asap.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Was the cut off 99.95?

To me it sounds like the offers were given to people who had law down as their first option in the main round and did not get it, sounds pretty fair to me - it was their first preference and your back up plan. But that only makes sense if that was the only criteria they could seperate people on.

MiseryParade

HSC
Was the cut off 99.95?

To me it sounds like the offers were given to people who had law down as their first option in the main round and did not get it, sounds pretty fair to me - it was their first preference and your back up plan. But that only makes sense if that was the only criteria they could seperate people on.
The cut off published by the UAC for the Round 3 offers was an asterisk. That being said, I'm pretty sure it would have been 99.95 - it sure as hell wouldn't be <99.7, which means people who didn't receive a main round offer wouldn't have gotten a late round offer.

Edit: Just read your post again. You might be right, that people who put down law asap might've gotten the offers first, if the cut off WAS 99.95.

Edit 2: Does anyone know if law is offered in the final round? Long long long shot, but one can hope :(

Last edited:

Praer

HSC
Uni Grad
The cut off published by the UAC for the Round 3 offers was an asterisk. That being said, I'm pretty sure it would have been 99.95 - it sure as hell wouldn't be <99.7, which means people who didn't receive a main round offer wouldn't have gotten a late round offer.

Edit: Just read your post again. You might be right, that people who put down law asap might've gotten the offers first, if the cut off WAS 99.95.

Edit 2: Does anyone know if law is offered in the final round? Long long long shot, but one can hope :(
unsw law has * as the atar requirement, i think that means there's very limited amount of spots available.

Selador

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Sounds pretty fair.

How else are they meant to do it?

If say there was 2 vacancies and 3 people with 99.95 had it as a preference, i'm not sure what you expect them to do? Draw names out of a hat?

sirable1

HSC
Uni Grad
All I can say is that looking upon in the Main Round offers, 279 people were given Law and only 4 people in the Late January Rounds.

MiseryParade

HSC
Alright, fair enough. Didn't realise how little offers were made. Thread's over, thanks guys.

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
From my friend's experience, EAS does not get considered in 2nd Round for Law. My friend who applied for law in 2nd round with EAS (ATAR was 99.00) didn't get in but my friend who got ATAR 99.75 did. This was in 2011 btw

MiseryParade

HSC
From my friend's experience, EAS does not get considered in 2nd Round for Law. My friend who applied for law in 2nd round with EAS (ATAR was 99.00) didn't get in but my friend who got ATAR 99.75 did. This was in 2011 btw
Looking through BoS alone, I've read of people with 97 ATAR + EAS get into law in late round. I suspect that your friend with 99 ATAR didn't get in because she applied too late, like I did.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Looking through BoS alone, I've read of people with 97 ATAR + EAS get into law in late round. I suspect that your friend with 99 ATAR didn't get in because she applied too late, like I did.
Maybe in 2011, the vacancies were tighter (e.g. like in 2013 it seems)?

There's always limited vacancies for post main-round offers for Law at UNSW or USYD.

How do they select students for the later rounds anyways?

Like e.g. if there's a 97.9 student who got 2 extra EAS points AGAINST a 98.8 student who got 1 extra EAS point - are they more inclined to choose the former or the later student?

Cause it seems like 99.75 student (with 0 EAS) got preference over the 99 student (with EAS) purely because he/she had a higher ATAR despite the 99 student hitting 99.95 (which implies he/she should be more preferred) with the help of EAS.

MiseryParade

HSC
Wait, so you can call unsw and they'll tell you your atar with eas?
No, but when I called the UNSW med office to ask my ranking, the guy on the phone said "okay, so your ATAR is 99.95 with EAS..." blah blah.

Maybe in 2011, the vacancies were tighter (e.g. like in 2013 it seems)?

There's always limited vacancies for post main-round offers for Law at UNSW or USYD.

How do they select students for the later rounds anyways?

Like e.g. if there's a 97.9 student who got 2 extra EAS points AGAINST a 98.8 student who got 1 extra EAS point - are they more inclined to choose the former or the later student?

Cause it seems like 99.75 student (with 0 EAS) got preference over the 99 student (with EAS) purely because he/she had a higher ATAR despite the 99 student hitting 99.95 (which implies he/she should be more preferred) with the help of EAS.
UNSW says that no preference is given to a non-EAS student over an EAS one.

ifrit112

HSC
Don't count on ATAR cutoffs for later round offers. Those who just made the cut in the main round are very unlikely to give their spot up. And also, in later stages people do apply for fun/bragging rights ("I got offered into law!") with no intention of actually accepting.

Unfortunately if you applied late, then all spaces would be filled. Otherwise you should have made law your no 1 pref, ahead of med to get an offer in it. Otherwise you may get another offer into med, or it simply won't happen since they know you already got/accepted the main one.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)