No idea for Lear - marxist feminist readings - WHAT THE! (1 Viewer)

*10#

What part of the rubric does different readings come under?
We havent learnt bout readings just different productions - could someone explain a feminst of marxist reading

Also how many productions should we know?

Cheers:rolleyes:

kieransgirl

ok well i had this problem too but ppl explained it to me. in elizabethan times, women were portryed as weak and unimportant within the theatre. their voices were marginalized (dont have as much to say)
a feminist production would show the females to be strong, and just as important than men if not more important. it would also justify goneril and reagans actions to some degree but making lear look like a bad father so that their betrayal of him isnt as bad.
ways this could be done: lighting focusing on the woman, women further forward than the men on stage (men are normally in the front...ect.)
marxist interpretation says that it is not an autocratic society (one leader being the best eg lear) and in fact all the characters are equal. similar to a feminist production in that way as u still have to show the women equal to the men but u have to show all the characters equal. set in the the time of karl marx- russian revolution, where a democatic/marxist society was trying to be reached.
i hope that helped. ask me again if u need more help

*10#

yeah your explanation was helpful.

so really we dont need to refer to actual feminist productions just how a feminist production could be staged.

in a paragraph on reception in a range of contexts would you say that a production with a marxist discourse would be excepted and received well in Russia say 1920s???

and today would u say the Richard Eyre production which portrays the women as strong would be excepted by an audience informed by the feminist movement - equal rights for women etc

am i on the right track?

SmokedSalmon

HSC
yes you are but when writing your essay don't go off on a tangent and go on and on about what a feminist reading is. Say the relation it has with ur text only.
Looking at past papers people only went on for a few sentences on what a specific reading was but didn't divulge too much of it and then went to talk about productions which relate to this reading. I.e A Family Drama reading is shown through Peter Brook's version. And then you start going on all about the scenes etc...

If you mainly focus your essay on readings (marxist, feminist) and hardly make any reference to productions then you are guaranteed a poor mark. Well that is what the HSC advice line told me. Can someone clarify this?

ballerinabarbie

bundy for me
HSC
if you're really having trouble with finding an example - MAKE IT UP!!! you can either say "if i were to direct this play..." or "a fellow student inf 2003 decided to..." or just make up a name "in the joe bloggs production in 2003..."

i'm not saying that you should make up all of your interpretations (have a few that are real + popular - eg. Peter Brook) but how is the examiner going to know? i mean i'm using a production done at Kinross Wollaroi School (in Orange) - as if the marker is going to know if "the mark galvin" production actually existed (even though it does!)

kieransgirl

in regards to your question, u only hav to hav a real or made up interpretation as long as u can show how the dramatic techniques are used to support the interpretation. it doesnt hurt though to have one or two other productions to link in. eg say peter brookes within his production played lear and his men to be more ruly. i too would do this in my production to emphasize a feminist interpretation and would achieve this by making lear drunk.....u get my drift. btw dont use that cause making lear drunk prolly isnt a good idea :D

kieransgirl

what we got taught at school is this.
1.u write a little bit about what a feminist interpretation is
2. then u say how it would be achieved thru the whole of kl
3.then u focus on several specific scenes and suggest hgow specific dramatic techniques would highlight the interpretation
4. during this link it to some other production that have a feminist production eg. u mite say i have decided to use flodded lighting over all the characters similar to peter brookes production.
then do the same with another interpretation.
ur likely to get a question about how "no text is static" (meaning they all have more than one interpretation) and discuss it in relation king lear and say why they cant be static

in relation to ur marxist question- ud state that u would set in it the period of the russian revolution as by changing the context of the text u are presenting the values of the marxist era. get what im saying? like u would set a feminist one in the time of the suffragettes to show the women characters values are to get the power they deserve

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
A Marxist interpretation/adaption may emphasise dialogue such as Through tattered clothes do great vices appear. Robes and furred gowns hide all. Plate sin with gold, and justice's hurtless lance doubtless breaks. Arm it in rags, and a pygmy's straw doth pierce it, relating part of Lear's 'redemption' as realising the necessity of compassion, and viewed through a Marxist lens, equality.

Fosweb

I could be your Doctor...
HSC
Originally posted by ballerinabarbie
i mean i'm using a production done at Kinross Wollaroi School (in Orange) - as if the marker is going to know if "the mark galvin" production actually existed (even though it does!)
You guys came from the North Shore all the way to Orange to see this school production?

Fosweb

HSC
Hmm... So you met Regan and Gonerill then... God damn study camps...

Fosweb

HSC
Katie... I assume that she would have been at the study camp with Ruth. (Its Ruth thanks. Not Ruthie.)

I also disagree with study camps...

:p

Fosweb

HSC
I just do more productive work at home, by myself.
I know Ruth hates being called Ruth. There's only two people who call her Ruth I think...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)