No Fee Increases at Macq in 2005 (1 Viewer)

golfstick

balbrady's balbarer
HSC
N/A
http://www.pr.mq.edu.au/events/index.asp?ItemID=1570

Macquarie University announces no HECS increases or undergraduate fee-paying programs for 2005

August 27, 2004

The Council of Macquarie University today agreed with the Vice-Chancellor’s recommendation not to increase HECS rates for 2005.

Council welcomed the recommendation. "I think it’s absolutely the right decision," said Macquarie University Chancellor, Maurice Newman. "We’re united with the rest of the Macquarie community on this."

“Macquarie University welcomes the flexibility in the Government’s new rules for HECS, and is pursuing strategic initiatives to promote national priorities as well as access,” said the Vice-Chancellor, Professor Di Yerbury.

“While the Federal Government’s new flexible HECS arrangements allow universities to increase HECS by up to 25 per cent, and to allocate up to 35 per cent of domestic places in an undergraduate program to fee-paying students, there will be no change to Macquarie University’s arrangements for 2005, except for selected reductions as mentioned below,” Yerbury said.

“Macquarie looks to Government to commit to a consistent flexible approach for the future and to reduce bureaucratic red tape. Uncertainty and burdensome reporting will limit opportunities,” she added.

Macquarie has already announced reduced HECS arrangements for advanced science and technology programs to encourage top students to take up these disciplines.

Under these arrangements, announced in January, the student contribution rate for special units in advanced science and technology will be zero for 2005 and 2006, and the student contribution for the honours year in science and technology programs will be the lowest band.
Interesting..

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
They better not or else im a gonna cap some ass

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
It's certainly a smart move, if it works. The trouble is, it has no effect on somewhere like me. I'm willing to pay more for what I think will be higher quality. Macquarie needs to prove it is as good, educationally, as the top guns.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
I think that MQ has proven itself to be able to match the big guns

christ_ine

simply because
HSC
University of Western Sydney AND Macquarie University .. interesting.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Slide Rule said:
It's certainly a smart move, if it works. The trouble is, it has no effect on somewhere like me. I'm willing to pay more for what I think will be higher quality. Macquarie needs to prove it is as good, educationally, as the top guns.
i, like asy, think they have proved they are as good as the top

prestige will always get in the way and they can't do anything to stop that

but can you give me examples of why their education is not matching the other unis, how the education could be better quality, i would like to have examples so i can have a more balanced (and less bias!!) view, since i am quite bias towards mac

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
I think it would be a smart move to cut SAF's a lil :p

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
I just found out today, when I was visiting friends at Macquarie.

I think this is an excellent move for the university. You will see student numbers shoot up, leading to more people realising how good your uni actually is (except when we feel like bagging you of course) and an increase in satisfaction and prestige.

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
this is cool...
i can transfer again and not fall under the new hecs scheme...
but thats if i don't like my course...

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
active thread.. i think i saw issaq today, he was wearing jeans and a white t-shite with like a square pattern in the middle with colours. he looked familiar so i thought i knew him from somewhere else in real life.. lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)