No clue how to go about answering this question. (1 Viewer)

OptimusRhyme

HSC
My extension class has this essay question tomorrow.
"Aspects of crime in particular contexts are the main concern of the elective Crime Writing. How are these aspects given significance in the texts studied for this elective? In your response refer to the Dupin trilogy and ONE text of your own choosing."

We have NO clue at all how to go about it... we're really, really stuck. :|
Any help would be REALLY appreciated.
Thanks.

i love to act

HSC
I'm guessing they want you to discuss the many aspects of crime demonstrated in texts and how they're affected by their particular context. By this, you could refer to the genre as a whole, then narrow it down to the distinct sub-genres of your texts (e.g. Hitchcock's Rear Window is a realist text, in comparison to James' A Skull Beneath the Skin, which is seen as an intuitional text, however, they both share many similarities, in terms of the actions of the crime). However, you must be specific in terms of context. For example, a specific year significantly affects the way a text is constructed, due to the events of the time. You could then go on to support the statement that, this is the main concern of the elective crime writing. And then, speak about the aspects already spoken about previously, in terms of significance (the significance of the genre as a whole too). Also, refer to the values and attitudes displayed in both texts, in relation to the question. Always refer back to the question.
Oh, and with your related text, it would be interesting to pick a text that was an entirely different sub-genre to the Dupin Trilogy - very impressive.

Anyway, I guess there are many different ways in interpreting that rather bizarre question. So, that was mine.
Good Luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)