Vangineer

Treehugger
HSC
Feng,

think before writing nonsense

DS is out at EB and u can test drive it,
but PSP that thing hasnt even been released in america/europe. U FOOOOOOOOOOOL

And to the rest,
I respect and envy that the PSP has such insane graphics and has equal power to a pentium 800, whereas the DS has 133 mhz power, but:

PSP runs high on fuel, --> only 3 hrs battery life, cant do anything with it. Also, it runs UMDs which means that it has a CD player type operation. its gonna be noisy and unreliable. And u cant knock it around. Just imagine the UMD disk gettin knocked around. Load times are slow because the PSP needs to mechanically with a laser reader read the UMDs whereas the DS is all solid state stuff

Ds furthermore has an amazing 10 hr battery life.
I dont really care about graphics so much (battery life more important),
for those ppl who want powerful graphics, --> go buy an XBOX or maxxit out on a computer.

DS is revolution. 2 screens , 1 is a touch screen. mario DS looks mad, metroid hunter looks effing mad.

^_^

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
Vangineer said:
I dont really care about graphics so much (battery life more important),
for those ppl who want powerful graphics, --> go buy an XBOX or maxxit out on a computer.
For those people, get a laptop with P4 EE and Geforce 6800.

Grobus

Laughing Boy
HSC
Cyan_phoeniX said:
oh hell. i have that game, what exactly happens?
The Australian consoles are fine. It stops some consoles from reading discs though. How a piece of console software does that to the hardware is beyond me, but its been really commonly reported.

alien

HSC
you still play N46? time to upgrade i think
EDIT: N64

Last edited:

Grobus

Laughing Boy
HSC
Komaticom said:
No shit. Reliability of different products (generalisation?) from different manufacturers varies.

Quickly as in 3+ years? As long as you don't abuse your joystick (that sounds wrong) the internal springs should last a while. I've got 3 controllers, and I alternate between them, so they're still in mint condition.
They fell apart pretty quickly depending on the games you played. Some of my fav N64 games were F-Zero X and Smash Brothers, which worked the shit out of them. I just play my N64 games now as ROMs and use a more durable game pad.

Bone577

HSC
N/A
Saying that ALL Nintendo consoles aren't ALWAYS as reliable as ANY Playstation is pretty pointless even if it is true. Let us just say Playstations just happen to break down several times more often than a Nintendo system. Ontop of that the Nintendo consoles have lifetime warranties (I don't want anyone to bother pointing out that the NES was a lemon, stop being pedantic people).

Furthermore, saying the DS is better than the PSP based simply on history in the market is foolish. In fact it is counterproductive, because, based on the history of the market, Sony is able to enter new areas and completely dominate over componies with a strong history.

I'm not going to say the Porsche 996 GT3 is going to be fantastic because the 1974 Carerra RS was, that would be stupid even though they have similar design principles. Instead it would be more appropriate to point out that the 996 GT3 dominates over almost every catagory of racing it enters, most notably it always wins the GT class of LeMans.

leathaface

I have a DS... I haven't played much games, the two games I have are 2D... and utilise the touch pen that comes with the handheld...

The pen allows for more innovative gameplay... and I enjoy that.

I could have tried PSP at a Asia Game Show in Hong kong last year, but damn! The line was too long.

Bone577

HSC
N/A
Komaticom said:
Nintendo has, what, a decade (give or take a few years) experience in the handheld industry. Heck, remember that first Game Boy which was twice the size of a brick? Nintendo knows what works and what doesn't in the handheld industry. Every new handheld release from Nintendo only has improvements.

For example, GBA --> GBA-SP:
- more compact, protective design
- built-in backlight
- rechargeable lithium ion battery
- audio output is no longer blocked by your thumb 90% of the time

As I mentioned before, Nintendo know their shit. Sony are stepping onto Nintendo's turf. We can only speculate who will dominate whom once both the DS and PSP have been in circulation for a few weeks or so.
I suppose I didn't say something 1 post prior which makes everything you just posted completely useless.

But I really like the part where you show the improvements from GBA to GBA:SP, who would have known technology would progress as time passes?

Bone577

HSC
N/A
Komaticom said:
Yeah technology is improving, apparently. Maybe in the future CRTs would replace whatever thing we have today.

I don't quite get you with that "1 post prior...completely useless" message.

Sitting around on internet forums makes me excessively sarcastic and snappy.

equiski

HSC
I must be one of those rare people who buy consoles and handhelds based on the games availible on each platform.

Vangineer

Treehugger
HSC
Damn,

DS has good battery and innovative designs,
but fark nothing beats the PSP graphics (altho shit battery life)

Damn, Id get a PSP if it werent like 300 or 400 dollars.
THe DS is only 200 dollars which is very affordable.

300/400 dollars is like the same price as a playstation 2. DArn it.

Altho, I really need one of the two for enjoying uni life of lectures, its so hard to make a decision...

SHIT!!!!!!!!!!

azn_spirit

...messed up...
HSC
Hey! I Got a PSP, hehe got it as a getting into Uni prezzie =D. I bought it online and had it shipped here, price was alright around $600 dollars seeing how I got it from Japan, only have one game on it though, Ridge Racer. Graphics are awesome and I still can't believe the quality of the screen, widescreen pure bliss + the games are region free so I can play PAL games on it also, graphics look mad. They're actually more powerful than a PS2 for those of you that don't know. The PSP handles pretty well, its more light than it looks battery last around 3 hours depending on what kind of backlight I use, I reckon it can last around 4-5 hours if I tone down the backlight.

As for movies, I only had the demo disc but movies look awesome slick on the PSP, movies plays pretty nice and clear for a screen that more, I wouldn't want to imagine why anybody would pick the DS over the PSP. As for the controls, it felt alright, the analog stick was bad though, doesn't feel like the analog stick on the dual shock, too small plus not enough space to move it around but still it plays pretty well, the buttons are alright too. Only problem is that the PSP is one hell of a big handheld console, I can't fit it in my pockets so whenever I bring it around I always have to find a place to put it, still it looks sick.

Only reason I got it is becoz I so want to watch Final Fantasy VII Advent Children, like this is the movie I have been waiting for 2-3 years to come out. Also theres a place in city that sells the PSP but I wouldn't recommend it..really heavily overpriced. I'll try to get some photos posted to show you guys how awesome it looks. =D

Last edited:

Abide

Wie gehts?
HSC
N/A
Gamers report PSP malfunction

Nearly 5,000 units are returned to Sony for buggy button; Kutaragi unapologetic about the handheld's design.

Posted Monday, January 24th 2005

TOKYO--About 4,800 Japanese PSPs have been returned to Sony due to problems with the handheld's square button, according to a recent interview with Sony Computer Entertainment president Ken Kutaragi in Nikkei Business magazine.

Kutaragi acknowledged that the button is less responsive than the others, in part because it's so close to the PSP's 480x272 screen. Because there isn't enough room to put the square button's detection switch directly underneath, it's off to the right, making it less responsive--and sometimes causing it to stick.

Nikkei Business reported that, to date, .6 percent of the 800,000 shipped units have been returned to Sony for repair. Kutaragi was unapologetic about the issue: "This is the design that we came up with. There may be people that complain about its usability, but that's something which users and game software developers will have to adapt to. I didn't want the PSP's LCD screen to become any smaller than this, nor did I want its machine body to become any larger.

"The button's location is [architectured] on purpose," Kutaragi added. "It's according to specifications. This is something that we've created, and this is our specification. There was a clear purpose to it, and it wasn't a mistake."

Offering additional testimony praising the handheld, Kutaragi said, "I believe we made the most beautiful thing in the world. Nobody would criticize a renowned architect's blueprint that the position of a gate is wrong. It's the same as that."

Abide

Wie gehts?
HSC
N/A
And I'm also concerned about that other issue my friend was telling me about, where you twist or turn the PSP slightly and the UMD comes "spinning out like a frisbee". Makes me worried. I might cancel my PSP pre-order and just wait it out a bit.

Last edited:

Grobus

Laughing Boy
HSC
Specs is a pretty bad reason to choose one console over another since its the games that matter.

Abide

Wie gehts?
HSC
N/A
bad reason, but also valid.

I would choose the console with a bigger screen, so it doesn't hurt my eyes, and it's also lighter to boot. I also prefer non-cartoonish like graphics. The DS's 260,000 colours doesn't cut it for me.

Besides, there's no real physical basis of comparision so far in terms of games because both are new consoles on the market. I haven't played any PSP games, nor have I seen any in action, and the ones on the DS I find are so-so so far :D.

Also, black >>> silver. :D

equiski

HSC
Abide said:
And I'm also concerned about that other issue my friend was telling me about, where you twist or turn the PSP slightly and the UMD comes "spinning out like a frisbee". Makes me worried. I might cancel my PSP pre-order and just wait it out a bit.
Abide said:
Gamers report PSP malfunction

Nearly 5,000 units are returned to Sony for buggy button; Kutaragi unapologetic about the handheld's design.

Posted Monday, January 24th 2005

TOKYO--About 4,800 Japanese PSPs have been returned to Sony due to problems with the handheld's square button, according to a recent interview with Sony Computer Entertainment president Ken Kutaragi in Nikkei Business magazine.

Kutaragi acknowledged that the button is less responsive than the others, in part because it's so close to the PSP's 480x272 screen. Because there isn't enough room to put the square button's detection switch directly underneath, it's off to the right, making it less responsive--and sometimes causing it to stick.

Nikkei Business reported that, to date, .6 percent of the 800,000 shipped units have been returned to Sony for repair. Kutaragi was unapologetic about the issue: "This is the design that we came up with. There may be people that complain about its usability, but that's something which users and game software developers will have to adapt to. I didn't want the PSP's LCD screen to become any smaller than this, nor did I want its machine body to become any larger.

"The button's location is [architectured] on purpose," Kutaragi added. "It's according to specifications. This is something that we've created, and this is our specification. There was a clear purpose to it, and it wasn't a mistake."

Offering additional testimony praising the handheld, Kutaragi said, "I believe we made the most beautiful thing in the world. Nobody would criticize a renowned architect's blueprint that the position of a gate is wrong. It's the same as that."
Welcome to 2 weeks ago, buddy.

Grobus said:
Specs is a pretty bad reason to choose one console over another since its the games that matter.
Thankyou.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)