Nihongo Dake (dispute resolved, thread re-opened) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

j-belle

suki :D
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Lexicographer
No, they are very different actually. See if you can find them and you'll see what I mean. :)
I learnt them a long time ago but I thought they were something along these lines:
Spanish: Como estas
Tagalog: Comostaca (something like that).

Well, Spanish is the most widely spoken Romance Language in the world (instant key to Europe, All the Americas (except Canada). Tagalog is quite good for SE Asia (since it is so close to Indonesian) and English is excellent anywhere.
Hold up a sec, Tagalog being similar to Indonesian? In what respect? I can't imagine in terms of either vocabular load or construction these would be similar.

I must say that's an interesting theory...I had heard much about the trade links between China and the Philippines before Spanish Conquest, though Japan has never been mentioned to me before 1941. I do know that many Japanese had the approval of the Filipinos (since more often than not they believed the "saviour of our asian brothers" propaganda) though many old wounds still throb. Despite these, a number of "aiko" are to be found with not American but a Filipino parent, which I think is an excellent thing.

At the moment my position is that although the war wounds should be left to heal, they probably won't until my grandparents' generation have been gone a decade or two. This won't be for another thirty years or so. In fact, it may take even longer (since their children will have been almost equally affected by the war they witnessed through their parents' testimony).

Sorry about the tangent. No, I haven't read or heard much about Japan and the Philippines historically at all. :)
Tangent is fine :)

So, from those historical trade links, did you believe that Filipinos were some sort of Chinese-Spanish hybrid? Because they didn't come out of nowhere, and look very distinct to most other asian races..

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Originally posted by j-belle
I learnt them a long time ago but I thought they were something along these lines:
Spanish: Como estas
Tagalog: Comostaca (something like that).
Spanish: Como esta[s/n]?
Tagalog: Kumusta 'ka? (the "ka" is a contraction of "ikaw")

Granted the "kumusta" is probably a corruption of "como esta", but that's where the similarity stops. Actually, it's a good example because the relationship between the languages is very well demonstrated by these two phrases. :) Tagalog is Indonesian with Spanish thrown in.
Hold up a sec, Tagalog being similar to Indonesian? In what respect? I can't imagine in terms of either vocabular load or construction these would be similar.

Tangent is fine :)

So, from those historical trade links, did you believe that Filipinos were some sort of Chinese-Spanish hybrid? Because they didn't come out of nowhere, and look very distinct to most other asian races..
Embarrasingly, I can't remember the linguistic family's name, but they are both very close grammatically. Also, the Tagalog vocabulary that isn't derived from Spanish is very clearly from the same ancestor language as Indonesian. I haven't looked deeply into it (since Tagalog doesn't really interest me) but I am certain the link between Tagalog and Indonesian (as well as other SE Asian Languages) is far better established than with, say Chinese.
The Philippine people are not very related to Chinese, Korean or Japanese ancestors. It's far more likely that they migrated from Indonesia, Malaysia and other archipelago races. If Malaysia isn't close to the Philippines forgive me, I don't have a map on hand (since I'm WiFi-ing at uni :p).

j-belle

suki :D
HSC
N/A
Spanish: Como esta[s/n]?
Tagalog: Kumusta 'ka? (the "ka" is a contraction of "ikaw")

Granted the "kumusta" is probably a corruption of "como esta", but that's where the similarity stops. Actually, it's a good example because the relationship between the languages is very well demonstrated by these two phrases. :) Tagalog is Indonesian with Spanish thrown in.
Ok I was close :p

Embarrasingly, I can't remember the linguistic family's name, but they are both very close grammatically. Also, the Tagalog vocabulary that isn't derived from Spanish is very clearly from the same ancestor language as Indonesian. I haven't looked deeply into it (since Tagalog doesn't really interest me) but I am certain the link between Tagalog and Indonesian (as well as other SE Asian Languages) is far better established than with, say Chinese.
Oh of course, but then again you could argue that there's a stronger link between Italian and Tagalog than Chinese and Tagalog ;)

The Philippine people are not very related to Chinese, Korean or Japanese ancestors. It's far more likely that they migrated from Indonesia, Malaysia and other archipelago races. If Malaysia isn't close to the Philippines forgive me, I don't have a map on hand (since I'm WiFi-ing at uni :p).
I never suggested that Filipinos were related to Korean ancestors (but I was hoping to somehow steer this conversation onto the topic of Korea/Japan relations/history).
I just can't figure out how native Indonesians/Malaysians (ie not Chinese Malaysians/Indonesians) look so "islander"-ish, yet so many native Filipinos at uni could pass for something such as Chinese or Japanese (particularly the fairer-skinned "Filos").

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Yes (we can see the 49/50 in your custom ;)), but you're jumbling everything together! Did you study Japanese in high school?

Based on your posts, I'd say that your original non-English language was a Latin-derived language (eg Italian, Spanish etc). I'm assuming that you're asian, so I'll deduce that you spoke Tagalog.

From Tagalog (which is similar to Spanish) to English isn't that tricky is it (especially at a younger age)? I mean, don't several Filipinos speak English (with the American accent hehe) already?

I'd better get a prize if I got that ^ correct!

lol

loving the discussion between you two.

Sorry to clarify, Yes i am filipino, and yes i did speak tagalog and learnt english and spanish. Thus being trilingual, as well as learning french up to year ten, before i had too many units for HSC, and dabbled 2-3 years in German, Italian, Latin, and a year of Greek.

Only started nihongo this year at uni, although it was basically the first language i wanted to learn in high school, but i found out our school didnt offer it.

Yes j-belle, here is your prize. *hands jbelle a prize*

^^

There are a few dialects within tagalog, and those are very tribal and almost dont sound like tagalog, to others which are basically a fast way of speaking tagalog, probably occured through the fact that there was only a spoken communication rather than written, so discrepancies and mutations could have occured

Last edited:

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Originally posted by AsyLum
There are a few dialects within tagalog, and those are very tribal and almost dont sound like tagalog, to others which are basically a fast way of speaking tagalog, probably occured through the fact that there was only a spoken communication rather than written, so discrepancies and mutations could have occured
Actually, to be more correct, there are many Filipino Dialects, of which Tagalog is the most widely used. Standard Pilipino is mostly taken from Tagalog, with much borrowing from English (assimilated in the same way Japanese does it). Filipino doesn't really have standardised grammar (let alone spelling) making it a challenge to learn. In my opinion it's quite an ugly (though convenient) language. Still, the mostly phonetic spelling (once you figure the set of rules you're going to employ) is excellent, and the appropriations and corruptions of English are hilarious. Just think "Klasmeyts" (classmates). ;)
I never suggested that Filipinos were related to Korean ancestors (but I was hoping to somehow steer this conversation onto the topic of Korea/Japan relations/history).
I just can't figure out how native Indonesians/Malaysians (ie not Chinese Malaysians/Indonesians) look so "islander"-ish, yet so many native Filipinos at uni could pass for something such as Chinese or Japanese (particularly the fairer-skinned "Filos").
Yes, it is interesting to ponder. To be honest I haven't given it much thought, though to balance the scale there are many "islander-ish" looking Filipinos, as well as more "Generic-East-Asian" looking Malaysian/Indonesians. I have a feeling that much mixing had occured throughout the region over the ages...but I'm no expert. :)

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
much mixing ??
hahah thats an understatement

we are the asian bastards

everyones had a go at ruling and mixing with us ^^

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
I don't know I agree with you there. Before the Spanish rocked up nobody bothered trying to conquer the Philippines except other Filipinos. Sure the indonesians had a go at it, but we kicked them. :p

But yeah, the Spanish, then the Americans, then the Japanese, then the Americans again (and arguably still the Americans)...

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
haha yeap, more than most other asian countries though

and probably why theres more of a "western" look to a lot of filos now

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
shh!!

i wasnt sure, i thought he was originally, then yeah haha

dont mind me :|

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
It would be interesting to test the elasticity of a brain. Spheroids are almost inflexible, and you simply can't "bend" a ball. Of course, the brain is nowhere near a perfect sphere, but it's round nonetheless.

I meant figuratively. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)