• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Night fill and Uni (1 Viewer)

placebo101

HSC
has anyone had experience doing nightfill work and going to uni at the same time? im thinking about applying for a woolworths nightfill job since i hate the checkouts, but wouldnt working till 12, 1, 2, even 4 in the morning 2/3 days a week really screw up ur sleeping parterns and going to uni? i just need some advice b4 applying.

also, is nightfill only on certain days of the week? or 7 days a week?

^___^
HSC
placebo101 said:
has anyone had experience doing nightfill work and going to uni at the same time? im thinking about applying for a woolworths nightfill job since i hate the checkouts, but wouldnt working till 12, 1, 2, even 4 in the morning 2/3 days a week really screw up ur sleeping parterns and going to uni? i just need some advice b4 applying.

also, is nightfill only on certain days of the week? or 7 days a week?
i'm a nightfiller @ coles
been there since i started uni

i worked till 12, go home and study till 2, wake up at 7 for uni (i have morning class for maths)
lucky i live close to my uni, so it wasn;t a worry

but it does take a toll on you, if you have morning classes, and you work the night before...

and different stores have different fillers time..mine closes at 12 and latest i go is 12.30..other stores start then..so it varies

Scanorama

HSC
I only got my nightfill job since the holiday has started. I also work at Woolies and we start at 7 and finish at 5 at the latest. Some of us finish at 12. When uni starts, I will probably tell my manager not to put me on after 12.

Nightfill works 7 days a week, but you can always ask your manager to have certain days off. The minimum partime is 13 hours a week, and work 3-4 days a week.

HSC
Scanorama said:
The minimum partime is 13 hours a week
Woolworths minimum is 10 hours on part-time over two days.

My store is a 10pm close/7 days a week. So our nightfillers come in at 7 or 8 (some at 5, those that want earlier shifts) and usually stay til between 12 or 2 Monday to Saturday. For Sunday night though, they start at 12am and finish at like 5 so they dont get Sunday time and a half.

Tuna

HSC
N/A
... said:
i'm a nightfiller @ coles
been there since i started uni

i worked till 12, go home and study till 2, wake up at 7 for uni (i have morning class for maths)
lucky i live close to my uni, so it wasn;t a worry

but it does take a toll on you, if you have morning classes, and you work the night before...

and different stores have different fillers time..mine closes at 12 and latest i go is 12.30..other stores start then..so it varies
That's excellent. Which course did you do and what were your grades?

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
im a night filler but i do it when i have time off... and im a casual.. but i got friends and brothers working at the same place, coles, too

oh an im at uni too

placebo101

HSC
so would u ppl recommend night fill? i think i can manage it as im pretty nocturnal and am usually up till 2am except when i needed to go 2 school.

Tuna

HSC
N/A
+Po1ntDeXt3r+ said:
im a night filler but i do it when i have time off... and im a casual.. but i got friends and brothers working at the same place, coles, too

oh an im at uni too
You're doing Med aren't you? Why not full time tertiary?

Scanorama

HSC
I guess nightfill is good for uni in a way, you only need to work at night time. I'm still in my probation period until end of Feburary. Maybe in the next couple of weeks I will ask my manager if he would offer me permanet part time, I hate being casual, the hours are always a mystery until the roster comes out.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
Tuna said:
You're doing Med aren't you? Why not full time tertiary?
yeah in adelaide..

but i work in sydney.. cos the working in sydney easily covers my travel expenses..

ummm i am full time at uni.. and im on summer research projects at uni..

so atm i really dun have much me-time anymore... if i took more work here too ..id feel dead..

i work as a casual.. when the place i am at has peak-times.. like Xmas.. and it suits my life.. and the bosses..

cos im trained and i do times especially when the other parents are on vacation looking after kids for school holidays..

my mate at uni did coles part time nightfill and med full time.. he looked so dead.. i think he is on casual now.. only cos med is about 25-30 contact hrs for us.. so we feel buggered..

Tuna

HSC
N/A
Of course there's a lot of hard work by studying Med.
How can you look after kids for school holidays, how can you be trained by that, what are the steps?

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
cos lolz the parents work at the coles as nightfills..
so they take leave during school holidays.. so i cover their shifts

M-turkey

Zoom Zoom
HSC
Try and get a nightfill Job at a smaller company.

I work at Supabarn, which is about the size of a Coles/Woolworths store, but it closes at 10pm on weeknights. So I'm not up till midnight working...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)