• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Ngyuen's Execution (1 Viewer)

K

katie_tully

I think it's hilarious that you are trying to compare the actions of Nazi Germany and the persecution of the Jews with the death penalty. The persecution of the Jews was genocide...I can't even see the link, honestly.

K

katie_tully

0o0, obviously you failed to read my previous statement. I said that the death penalty is no longer a deterrent. Regardless of whether it is or not, it is Singapores law, he broke it, he is subject to their penalities. It shouldn't even be up for debate...or comparison with the Jews.

Smokey_22

the member
HSC
katie_tully said:
Drug smugglers have the frame of mind to cease what they are doing. The less smugglers, the less drugs are available. All drug users do, is burden the heath system, clog up the streets and then breed, thus repeating the cycle.
Drug users/smugglers give birth to drug users/smugglers?

K

katie_tully

Hypothetically, if there are less drug smugglers, there are less drugs available on the street. It's a theory on how to rid the streets of drugs. If you're a drug user and you cannot access drugs, are you going to keep trying to use them or are you going to give up the habit?

Like I said, it's a theory. But drug smugglers do catalyse the reaction, so they should be held accountable for their actions.

Smokey_22

the member
HSC
Sadly most sympathisers are being sucker-punched by a media campaign who've coated this story into an emotional sapping novel for the sake of headline ratings.
Although i feel for the man, he's a convicted drug criminal and i feel more for those who could potentially suffer from his trafficking.

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
I'd hope the world has moved on from the 16th century. Executing by hanging is outdated and barbaric. How can a modern state justify execution through suffocation or self garroting.

K

katie_tully

Maybe the force will snap his neck well before he suffocates to death?

walrusbear

HSC
katie_tully said:
0o0, obviously you failed to read my previous statement. I said that the death penalty is no longer a deterrent. Regardless of whether it is or not, it is Singapores law, he broke it, he is subject to their penalities. It shouldn't even be up for debate...or comparison with the Jews.
yeah you're right, law is infallible
we shouldn't even be considering moral failings behind them at all
case closed everyone

K

katie_tully

How can you put your moral standards in the same boat? Honestly, if we all let our morals and emotions stand in the way of our better judgement, everybody would run riot.

I don't support the death penalty. But I don't see the use in us, as Australians, complaining about what we see as barbaric, when in their country it is a normal practice. Let it be a warning to others thinking of doing it, if it does nothing else.

walrusbear

HSC
katie_tully said:
How can you put your moral standards in the same boat? Honestly, if we all let our morals and emotions stand in the way of our better judgement, everybody would run riot.

I don't support the death penalty. But I don't see the use in us, as Australians, complaining about what we see as barbaric, when in their country it is a normal practice. Let it be a warning to others thinking of doing it, if it does nothing else.
cultural sensitivity can only go so far
you seem to be using it in this case to conceal your actual indifference to the death penalty
is 'morals and emotions' were more involved in our judgement then a lot more reasonable policies would be in practice

K

katie_tully

Exactly Komaticon! Singapore has the highest execution rate per capita, and the Australian media hasn't made a fuss about the Singapore locals who get executed every year.

He broke their law. The sooner you all accept that, the better.

walrusbear

HSC
katie_tully said:
He broke their law. The sooner you all accept that, the better.
dead on tully!

the law is all that matters!!

0o0

o0o
HSC
N/A
katie_tully said:
like i said before but you dont get it, just because it is a law in a country, doesnt mean everybody has to agree with it or 'accept it' as you say. your argument FOR the death penalty should be based on other things besides the fact that it may be an official law of that country.

the link to the persecution of the jews is obvious.

singapore law = hangs drug traffickers. you say its OK because its the law therefore "it shouldn't even be up for debate".

nazi germany law = persecuting jews. can we follow the same logic as you? understand?

ill give you another example, in some middle eastern countries, it is 'standard practice' to stone women for doing certain things, should we just "accept it" as you put it because its their law and people from that part of the world consider it normal?

nothing anyone here has to say will change anything, no shit, but everything is always up for debate baby.

K

katie_tully

Look honestly, the stoning of women is appaling. Death by hanging is out dated. Etc, etc. We have no right to rally against these laws because in our country it's morally unacceptable. When people in this country, like terrorists, speak out against out way of life we're the first to jump up and down and have them in shackles.
Can't you see the double standards?

half the Muslims on BOS disregard the stoning of women anyway, as far as theyre concerned it doesn't happen.

walrusbear

HSC
some Camus on the matter:

For capital punishment to be really intimidating, human nature would have to be different; it would have to be as stable and serene as the law itself. But then human nature would be dead.

The age of enlightenment, as people say, wanted to suppress the death penalty on the pretext that man was naturally good. Of course he is not (he is worse or better). After twenty years of our magnificent history we are well aware of this. But precisely because he is not absolutely good, no one among us can pose as an absolute judge and pronounce the definitive elimination of the worst among the guilty, because no one of us can lay claim to absolute innocence.

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
katie_tully said:
Maybe the force will snap his neck well before he suffocates to death?
Well I think that would be the better outcome...if that is to be termed a better outcome. My point was that hanging is a barbaric way to carry out the death penality.

K

katie_tully

The death penality is not a deterrent. America wouldn't be executing 47 people a year if it was.

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
katie_tully said:
We have no right to rally against these laws because in our country it's morally unacceptable. When people in this country, like terrorists, speak out against out way of life we're the first to jump up and down and have them in shackles.
Still retarded, huh? *pats head*
People are allowed to rally against anything to which they may take moral offense. Nation states do not operate in and among themselves, perhaps they once did, but surely it is you with the outmoded way of thinking here.

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
Damage Inc. said:
The death penalty is an appropriate punishment. He broke Singaporean law, therfore he deserves the punishment.
The dealth penalty is an appropriate punishment because he broke the law? Youare going to have to do better than that. With that reasoning people who get speeding tickets can be executed.

The justification for the execution of someone needs to be better than that.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
I'm very happy that this idiot is finally getting killed tomorrow. I am so sick of the media coverage every day. No one gives a shit until there is an Australian involved and then all of a sudden people start to care.

You ask people why they care and they say 'because it is a human life'. If that is the case then why don't we hear about people getting the death penalty every time it happens? Maybe it is because it's not an Australian human life.

He knew what would happened to him if he got caught and he still did it and deserves to be punished for it.

I do think the deathy penalty for drug trafficking is a bit harsh but it is none of my business what they do in Singapore.

The truth is though the laws in Australia are way too soft. I am much happier this guy got caught over there and is now getting the death penalty than I would be if he got caught over here and got a couple years.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)