nexttttt (1 Viewer)

Kujah

HSC
N/A
WantToDoBetter said:
Osmosis: (Like you said) It is the movement of water along a concentration gradiant. It's only water moving.

Diffusion: Is too slow (^^^) BUT is also non selective of solutes. Meaning it will not deal directly with nitrogenous wastes and they need to be removed to maintain celluar functions.
And for diffusion, in the case where you require high pressure within the glomerulus and Bowman's capsule or the active transport of urea into the renal tubules through secretion (which is against a con/c gradient), diffusion is simply insufficient.

HSC
Anyway guys i probabley wont get on here again before tomorrow so best of luck to you all. I look forward to seeing some band 6's in this bunch, I'm praying for one myself lol...
Study hard, best of luck.

Cheers.

ALGALELE

Superman
HSC
boony3 said:
discuss problems relating to antibacterial resistance.

help please, the textbook i have is useless grrr
once upon a time there was a cute little bactria...the bacteria was really horny..so he had sex with lot of other bacterias...then thy multiplied...the bacteria he had sex withwas really sexy (it had favourable charactertics whic made her immuneto the bacteria) so the babies hat came out, the favourable characterstics got passed on to them coz of incest..and so THEY BECAME RESSISTENT TO BACTERIA!

moral of the story- incest reproduction = antibacterial ressistance =)

HSC
gcmk said:
so u mean the nitrogenous waste must be at a certain conc to be removed using diffusion? so would wastes diffuse out of cells if the conc is lower in the surrounding body fluids?
Just to clear this up, the dot point said show why the processes of osmosis and diffusion are inadequate in removing dissovled nitrougenous wastes. Therefore, yes some nitrogenous wastes could diffuse out but overall the reasons above are why it is 'just not good enough' at removing them.

gcmk

HSC
WantToDoBetter said:
Anyway guys i probabley wont get on here again before tomorrow so best of luck to you all. I look forward to seeing some band 6's in this bunch, I'm praying for one myself lol...
Study hard, best of luck.

Cheers.
yeh im going off the comp now, good luck to u too, sounds like u will def get a band 6, u guys know everything so well

dolbinau

HSC
boony3 said:
discuss problems relating to antibacterial resistance.

help please, the textbook i have is useless grrr
Within a population of bacteria there is genetic variation. There is a chance (by mutation for example) some of the bacteria (or even only one) could be resistant to an antibiotic. The misuse of antibiotics e.g not finishing complete course, or using antibacterial soaps can act as selecting agents - bacteria is 'selected' to survive through its resistance while the rest of the population die. These bacteria reproduce and pass the trait to their offspring {I guess asexual reproduction here}. An antibacterial resistant strain emerges.

This is a problem as existing antibiotics may become less effective, or not effective at all in treating certain bacterial related diseases. Some strains even become resistant to a range of antibiotics e.g Golden Staph. So, despite us able to treat diseases 10s of years ago easily, many are now becoming untreatable through resistant strains.

B

bekmay

morning guys,

can i change the subject? LOL..
um re. infectious diseases, what examples do you have for each microbe?
eg prions and creutzfeldt jacobs disease etc etc? oh and how do you remember them?

=]

ALGALELE

Superman
HSC
bekmay said:
morning guys,

can i change the subject? LOL..
um re. infectious diseases, what examples do you have for each microbe?
eg prions and creutzfeldt jacobs disease etc etc? oh and how do you remember them?

=]
virus-influeza, bacteria- tonsilitis, protozoan-malaria,prions-cjd,fungi-tinea..gl

dolbinau

HSC
I just use common names so it's easy to remember lol. Except for trush.

Prions - Mad cow

Virus - Influenza

Bacteria - Golden Staph

Protozoa - Malaria

Macro parasites - Head Lice

Fungus - Candidiasis (Trush)

gloworm14

HSC
N/A
is this enough info?

interaction between B and T lymphocytes
Helper T cells secrete interleukin that stimulates the differentiation of B and T cells into their different types. i.e. Plasma B making antibodies

mechanisms that allow interaction between B and T lymphocytes
cytokines are signalling compounds made of protein used for communication between cells
interleukin, secreted from helper t cells and macrophages stimulate b and t cells to differentiate

^^^ those two are pretty similar witht he whole interleukin thing. is there anything that can distinguish the mechanism and the interaction? or do i just have to state what a cytokine is and say interleukin is a form of that and relate it back to helper t cells?

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
Prions - transmissible spongiform encepalopathies
Bacteria - tuberculosis
Viruses - influenza
Protozoa - malaria
Fungi - tinea
Macroparasite - taenasis

I dunno how i remember them. Inflenza is common knowledge, malarias easy coz of the case study, I did my infectious disease report thingo on tuberculosis so thats easy for me to remember.

The other three, ive kinda just memorised

hoochiscrazy

HSC
WantToDoBetter said:
Just to clear this up, the dot point said show why the processes of osmosis and diffusion are inadequate in removing dissovled nitrougenous wastes. Therefore, yes some nitrogenous wastes could diffuse out but overall the reasons above are why it is 'just not good enough' at removing them.
Diffusion would never be sufficient as the concentration would always be extremely high in the tubules as they have just been filtered out in the bowmans capsule. So any diffusion that would take place would be the random movement of particules from the tubules to capillaries therefore active transport required to stop this and keep the waste excluded from the blood. Also diffusion is too slow and is not selective in what it transports.

pooja_107

HSC
Gloworm.............I just spoke to the HSC helpline ppl...and i asked her what do we mention for the mechanisms that allows the interaction of the b and t cells....so basically you need to mention:

1) Helper T cells secrete a soluable factor---which is interleukin...this stimulates the B cells (plasma cells and memory cells) and T cells (killer, suppresor and memory)...

2) The B cells and T cells and nearly all the cells in the body have these "self molecules" called MHC markers. So i mean that all the cells in the body have MHC markers which the body recognises as "self." The MHC markers on pathogens aor anything that does not belong to the body is considered "non-self" and hence the body will attack this.

She said if u include these 2 point, you are covering the dot point...and will surely get FULL marks...

Hope that helps...

gloworm14

HSC
N/A
pooja_107 said:
Gloworm.............I just spoke to the HSC helpline ppl...and i asked her what do we mention for the mechanisms that allows the interaction of the b and t cells....so basically you need to mention:

1) Helper T cells secrete a soluable factor---which is interleukin...this stimulates the B cells (plasma cells and memory cells) and T cells (killer, suppresor and memory)...

2) The B cells and T cells and nearly all the cells in the body have these "self molecules" called MHC markers. So i mean that all the cells in the body have MHC markers which the body recognises as "self." The MHC markers on pathogens aor anything that does not belong to the body is considered "non-self" and hence the body will attack this.

She said if u include these 2 point, you are covering the dot point...and will surely get FULL marks...

Hope that helps...
thanks heaps =)

danz90

HSC
pooja_107 said:

Hope that helps...
Isn't the HSC Advice Line closed atm? lol

Yess 2) is very important.. talking MHC molecules/markers is band 6 standard. ;) Major Histocompatibility Complex - a protein molecule that is present on the membrane surface of all cells.. and presents antigens.

Can anyone give a rundown on Renal Dialysis, in comparison with normal kidney function? I know the basics...but need more detail
Do we have to be as specific as knowing what the role of dialysate solution is etc?

pooja_107

HSC
for those of you who do communication.,....would you whether or not we need to know about....primary visual area, association area??? auditory area, auditory association area???????

pooja_107

HSC
hehehe, i meant i spoke to her yesterday...she was soooo nice...lilke spent 45 mins explaining...lol

dolbinau

HSC
pooja_107 said:
for those of you who do communication.,....would you whether or not we need to know about....primary visual area, association area??? auditory area, auditory association area???????
We would definitely need to know the regions of the brain related to visual/audio (I think speech is in there too). As to whether we need to know the specific parts of the audio/visual regions, I'm not sure. But they're basically next to each other so it won't be hard to :p.

gloworm14

HSC
N/A
danz90 said:

Yess 2) is very important.. talking MHC molecules/markers is band 6 standard. ;) Major Histocompatibility Complex - a protein molecule that is present on the membrane surface of all cells.. and presents antigens.

Can anyone give a rundown on Renal Dialysis, in comparison with normal kidney function? I know the basics...but need more detail
Do we have to be as specific as knowing what the role of dialysate solution is etc?
yeh ill make sure to mention MHC molecule/markers in the exam if we get a question on it ;) hehe
wth is dialysate solution??
renal dialysis is the process of artificially filtering wastes and products through a semi-permeable membrane. in other words it functions like a kidney,when the real kidney is too impaired to function itself.

ALGALELE

Superman
HSC
danz90 said:

dude, jst draw a table and shw the similarities and differences, something like this would suffice..

Normal Kidney -

contains nephronswill filter the blood

actively reabsrbs and flters the blood

uses a series of membranes which are selectively permeable

continuous and very efficient

removes urea from blood

Renal Dialysis (haemodialsysis)

occurs through dialysis machine> a filter is connected via a vein which takes out toxins in the blood

filters but dosent reabsorb

slow process, occurs few times week for patiets, takes 3 to4 hours...

also uses membranes but are artifical and are selectively permable

only passive transport used. (difference)

removes urea from blood (similarity)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)