nexttttt (1 Viewer)

danz90

HSC
WantToDoBetter said:
Communication right here!
Question: Define the term threshold and explain why not all stimuli generate an action potential.

Takuto said:
Q: Outline methods used by plants to assist in internal salt regulation
Accumulation - Grey Mangroves in NSW store excess salts in their leaves, which they then discard (fall off), hence assisting in internal salt regulation.

Secretion - River Mangroves in NSW have special glands on their leaves which actively secrete excess salts. When dried, these salts are blown away or washed away by rain, thus assisting in internal salt regulation of mangroves.

pbillabong

HSC
hey , in human story, does anyone know if gibbons fall into the hominin family? i think they're just in hominid but not hominin, but not sure lol

and does anyone know what releases chemokines?

Takuto

HSC
WantToDoBetter said:
Explain how one of the following strategies has controlled and/or prevented disease:

public health programs
Disease: Skin Cancer - Melanoma

Public health programs have been majorly successful in reducing the rate of skin cancers such as melanoma

The major cause of melanoma has been linked to exposure to UV rays from the sun, whilst the public has been educated about the cause, effects and prevention of melanoma. For example in Australia, the dangers and cause of melanoma are taught as part of the syllabus in primary education.

Brochures can be found in local GP offices advising the public of the dangers and prevention of melanoma

Another example is the slip, slop, slap and wrap television campaign which encourage the public to protect themselves from the sun's potentially harmful UV rays, by wearing sunglasses, a t-shirt, sunscreen and a hat.

This in turn has controlled and prevented the incidence of melanoma.

i probably didnt use a good example to get full marks. cholera or a disease which requires vaccinations (vaccination programs?) would be a better one, so if someone wants to do this also it would be helpful

Last edited:

obiman

HSC
lol wouldnt pesticides be easiest i mean come on fucking malaria lol

conundrum tea?

HSC
hey
was the threshold thing a question?

the reason some stimuli do not generate a response or action potential is due the stimuli not producing over -55mV which is the minimum amount before it can send an impulse. No action potential is produced is the depolarisation is below this level. the Threshold is the minimum stimuli required to generate a response in a nerve cell.

If that was the question you were asking hope this helps

hoochiscrazy

HSC
Analyses information on the historical development of the theories of evolution and assess the social and political influences of these developments.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
pbillabong said:
hey , in human story, does anyone know if gibbons fall into the hominin family? i think they're just in hominid but not hominin, but not sure lol

and does anyone know what releases chemokines?
Hominin is a name for sub-tribe under the Hominidae family, and only refers to modern day humans and their ancesotors. So Australopithecines, Paranthropus Boisei and the Homos fall under Hominin only.

Gibbons don't even fall under Hominids at all.

And chemokines, I don't think you need to know that but they're released from body cells to help attract and activate WBCs.

Last edited:

pbillabong

HSC
Kujah said:
Hominin is a name for sub-tribe under the Hominidae family, and only refers to modern day humans and their ancesotors. So Australopithecines, Paranthropus Boisei and the Homos fall under Hominin only.

Gibbons don't even fall under Hominids at all.
hey, yeh haha woops, dont know why i mixed them up, i meant are they in hominid lol, thanx

Kujah

HSC
N/A
No, they belong to their own family. Hominids I think only consist of humans, chimpanzees, gorillas and orangutans.

Gibbons belong to the Hylobatidae family.

pbillabong

HSC
Kujah said:
No, they belong to their own family. Hominids I think only consist of humans, chimpanzees, gorillas and orangutans.

Gibbons belong to the Hylobatidae family.
ok thanx lol, was just confused because they belong in the 'great apes' dont they, along with orangutans, gorillas and chimps? Also do you think we need to know gibbons are from the Hylobatidae family lol?

Kujah

HSC
N/A
pbillabong said:
ok thanx lol, was just confused because they belong in the 'great apes' dont they, along with orangutans, gorillas and chimps? Also do you think we need to know gibbons are from the Hylobatidae family lol?
Gibbons do not form part of the Great Apes family.

And I doubt it.

pbillabong

HSC
just general question in biology is it the same in english that every new question is in a new booklet? or is it only sections that you need to start a new booklet for?

o wait lol, dw

Last edited:

pbillabong

HSC
What would be a good, basic definition of a pathogen be for only one mark?

dolbinau

HSC
A pathogen is a disease causing organism

---

I'm sure that would be enough for 1 mark :p.

luucy

HSC
do we have to know the phases of meiosis like interphase, prophase, metaphase, anaphase, telephase?

homijoe

HSC
hoochiscrazy said:
Analyses information on the historical development of the theories of evolution and assess the social and political influences of these developments.
early 1700s- Linneaus classified humans with apes
1735-erasmus darwin said that all life came from a single source
1809- lamarack published his theory of evolution by the inheritance of aquired characteristics, which is based purely on the use and disuse of body parts.
1859-darwin publish the origin of species, where the theory of natural selection was introduced.

-in the case of the development of darwins theory of evolution, there was great uproar:
-the Church turned against Darwin
-Many people wrongly used the term survival of the fittest especially in the case of Karl Marx
-Darwin was blamed for the rise of atheism and the second world war
-When the famous Huxley vs Wilberforce debate took place, Huxley(a friend of darwin) was able to support as well as convey Darwin's idea to the wider public, his arguments were more concise then Wilberforce. as a result of this debate many people accepted his theory and since then has became widely accepted by many groups..

is this correct guys?? im abit shakey on this dot point thats why

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)