nexttttt (2 Viewers)

imqt

Premium Member
HSC
danz90 said:
Health is not merely the absence of disease; it incorporates social, psychological and physiological wellbeing. It is very difficult to determine at any one time whether an individual is 'healthy'.. since we are all affected by various factors in social, psychological and physiological wellbeing at any one time.

Disease refers to an impairment of the structure and functioning of the human body. In this way, it is difficult to categorise certain injuries or conditions as diseases. For example, if someone 'winded' you in a footy match, then is that really a disease? by definition it is, since the structure and function of the diaphragm is affected.

I don't think this is right btw, I studied this quite a while ago and isn't that clear in my head.

that sounds gr8 for studying it a while back :wave:

danz90

HSC
imqt said:
haha i got 160/200

im just glad i got over 150, i was jumping up and down is excitement
a little cottage?:confused: thats sounds eww... i want some advance, modern high tech building :bomb:
lol awesomee :) congrats on the score

hahaha here's your modern high tec building:

it looks small on the outside, but its massively long, and branches off extensively.

but don't despair... there are some nice modern rooms inside the building (including the tutorial room which has like an inbuilt pharmacy for roleplay pharmacy practice - its so cool) plus some new buildings around campus. the new sci-tec library is awesomeeeee and is obviously for courses associated with science and tchnology.
the buildings at USyd in general are pretty old anyway. there's some newer auditoriums, and they're building a brand new law building.

whats ur second pref as an alternative to BPharm?

sorry to the others for the offtopic. lol

Any other potential Pharmers for next year?

Last edited:
HSC
midifile said:
Discuss the difficulties in defining the terms health and disease
Health is defined as the physical, social, and psychological well-being of a person. However, these factors are variable for everyone. For example, a 'fit' person will say they are healthy if they have no disease, however a chronically ill person may say they are feeling healthy if the symptoms are not showing that day.
Disease is defined as a state of impaired functioning or poor health. However, this depends on the normal level of functioning of that person. For example, a person may not consider arthritis a disease if they have had it for many years and it is 'normal' for them.

Describe one current theory about the processes responsible for the movement of materials through phloem tissue in plants.

imqt

Premium Member
HSC
danz90 said:

it looks small on the outside, but its massively long, and branches off extensively.

but don't despair... there are some nice new buildings around campus. the new sci-tec library is awesomeeeee and is obviously for courses associated with science and tchnology.
the buildings at USyd in general are pretty old anyway. there's some newer auditoriums, and they're building a brand new law building.

hmmm the building looks ok....not so gr8 at all lol but oh well i'l stare at the other buildings and pretend im walking into them ;)

um second preference is Combined Bachelor of Science and Business at USyd how about you?

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
danz90 said:

but don't despair... there are some nice new buildings around campus. the new sci-tec library is awesomeeeee and is obviously for courses associated with science and tchnology.

Nope =[

But the word 'pharmers' reminds me of the awful documentary my bio teacher made us watch called 'animal pharm' about cloning and genetic modification and such...

Also, if you are ever in the biology labs in sydney uni you will have the pleasure of seeing the skeletons of headless birds

arghh.. im going crazy fromm study

btw. i think that building looks cute. Much like a 'cottage' as you have described it =]

danz90

HSC
aussiechick007 said:
Describe one current theory about the processes responsible for the movement of materials through phloem tissue in plants.
The source-path-sink theory states that nutrients such as sucrose, hormones and other substances move across a pressure gradient in the phloem tube through translocation. A source cell (companion cell) loads the products/nutrients into the sieve element via apoplastic or symplastic loading (cbf outlining these lol). They then travel down the sieve elements, along a pressure gradient, via translocation to a source cell. As nutrients are removed from the sink cell, the pressure gradient pulls nutrients from the source cell, along the path towards the sink cell.
If the sink cell is at a higher position than the source cell, then energy is required in the form of ATP, whereby carrier proteins actively transport substances to the sink cell.

Explain the relationship between conservation of water and the production and excretion of nitrogenous wastes in a range of Australian insects and terrestrial mammals.

HSC
dolbinau said:
Q: Describe TWO types of changes in DNA sequences that can result in changes in polypeptides produced
Two changes that can occur in DNA sequences are Inversion or Duplication.
Inversion is when a DNA sequence breaks and then is reattached the wrong way around.
Duplication is when there is an extra copy made of a section on the same chromosome.
Both of these result in changes to the DNA sequence on the chromosome, which will result in the sequence coding for a different polypeptide.

Discuss the role of quarantine in preventing the spread of disease in Australia.

danz90

HSC
imqt said:
hmmm the building looks ok....not so gr8 at all lol but oh well i'l stare at the other buildings and pretend im walking into them ;)

um second preference is Combined Bachelor of Science and Business at USyd how about you?
at the moment, its B. Medical Science @ UNSW, coz i can't get over their brand new Chemical Sciences building.. see for urself. but it looks so much better in real life. its like basically ALL GLASS.

but i'll probably end up putting B.Science (Nutrition) as my 2nd pref, since i love nutrition and shit, and would do good in that so i could transfer to BPharm 2nd year.

midifile, yu goin 2 USyd as well???

i like the biochemistry and microbiology building.. it looks so massive and cool.

Last edited:
HSC
danz90 said:
Explain the relationship between conservation of water and the production and excretion of nitrogenous wastes in a range of Australian insects and terrestrial mammals.
Desert mammals excrete nitrogenous wastes in the form of concentrated urea in order to minimise water loss as there is little water available.
Insects excrete a dry paste of uric acid in order to retain as much water as possible, as they have a high Surface area to Volume ratio and therefore lose water easily.
In general, animals in areas of low water must be able to tolerate high levels of nitrogenous wastes in their system or be able to excrete it in a way that maintains water.

Discuss some ethical considerations arising from the development of genetically modified animals.

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
danz90 said:
Australian insects (ie grasshopper cicada) excreate uric acid, which is a crystaline compound expelled as a pellet or paste with little/no water loss, allowing them to conserve water.

Terrestrial mammals main nitrogneous waste is urea, which can be expelled in varying concentrations of water. Mammals that need to conserve water (ie bilbies which live in arid environments) can produce small amounts of concentrated urine to conserve water, while, in environments where water is readily available, animals (ie cattle, pigmy possums) can produce large amounts of dilute urine

Describe two methods in which mangroves regulate salt concentration

danz90

HSC
aussiechick007 said:
Discuss the role of quarantine in preventing the spread of disease in Australia.
The Australian Quarantine and Inspection Service is responsible for inspecting all incoming articles into Australia at all ports of entry, ie airports, mail centres etc. Articles that contain certain organic material (such as insect pests - eg aphids) are seized and incinerated, in order to prevent the entry of such pests and diseases into Australia. Hence, strict controls by Australian Quarantine has successfully prevented the spread of plant and animal diseases and pests into Australia, which could ultimately affect a wide variety of industries and communities.

danz90

HSC
midifile said:
Exclusion - Mangroves have certain roots which are IMPERMEABLE to salt. Hence, mangroves do not absorb excess salts, in response to varying salt concentrations.

Secretion - River Mangroves (NSW varieties) have special glands on their leaves which secrete excess salt. When dried, the excess salt can be blown away or washed away by rain.

Outline the role of hormones Aldosterone and ADH in the regulation of salt and water levels in the blood.

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
danz90 said:
at the moment, its B. Medical Science @ UNSW, coz i can't get over their brand new Chemical Sciences building.. see for urself. but it looks so much better in real life. its like basically ALL GLASS.

but i'll probably end up putting B.Science (Nutrition) as my 2nd pref, since i love nutrition and shit, and would do good in that so i could transfer to BPharm 2nd year.

midifile, yu goin 2 USyd as well???

i like the biochemistry and microbiology building.. it looks so massive and cool.
No.. probably UNSW - its like a 15 min walk from my house.

I had this revelation halfway yr 11 that I didnt want to do science or anything science related in uni (despite doing bio and chem), so now I wanna do comm/law

first I have to get 99+ to get into UNSW though

HSC
midifile said:
Mangroves must regulate their salt concentration because they grow in estuaries, where rivers meet the sea, and so must survive in constantly varying salt levels. They can do this by either accumulating the salt in their leaves and then shedding them, or by excreting the salt from their leaves directly.

Clarify, using examples, the difference between the terms allele and gene.

danz90

HSC
midifile said:
No.. probably UNSW - its like a 15 min walk from my house.

I had this revelation halfway yr 11 that I didnt want to do science or anything science related in uni (despite doing bio and chem), so now I wanna do comm/law

first I have to get 99+ to get into UNSW though
I'm sure you'll get your 99+ :) by the sound of ur responses. ;)

btw, I hope we all get band 6's for bio (the ones participating in this thread) :D

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
aussiechick007 said:
A gene is a specific sequence of bases in DNA at a specific locus that codes for the production of a given polypeptide. Alleles are alternate form of genes. For example, for the gene that controls height in pea plant, two alleles (T = tall and t = short) are possible.

danz90

HSC
aussiechick007 said:
An allele is a corresponding member of a gene pair, located on the homologous chromosome. A gene consists of a pair of alleles, one on each corresponding chromatid.

eg. the gene for heterozygous tallness (Tt) - T is an allele of t ... and vice versa.

Assess social and political influences on the development of theories of evolution.

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
Describe the forms in which carbon dioxide is carried in the blood

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
danz90 said:
I'm sure you'll get your 99+ :) by the sound of ur responses. ;)

btw, I hope we all get band 6's for bio (the ones participating in this thread) :D
Thanks for the vote of confidence =] I hope you are right.

I think it might be possible for us all to get band sixes. Everyone on here seems to know what they are talking about :)

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
danz90 said:
An allele is a corresponding member of a gene pair, located on the homologous chromosome. A gene consists of a pair of alleles, one on each corresponding chromatid.

eg. the gene for heterozygous tallness (Tt) - T is an allele of t ... and vice versa.

Assess social and political influences on the development of theories of evolution.
Lemark came up with the theory of evolution by aquired characteristics, where if an organism required a particular characteristic they would aquire it, and then it would be passed on to their offspring. Despite being wrong, this was accepted in France, as he suggested this theory after the French Revolution, and as a result people were more accepting of the fact that change can occur, so his theory was widely accepted.

Darwin worked in Britain where there was an entrenched monarchy and the church and state were allies. As a result, the state was not accepting of his theory of evolution due to natural selection. However, as science and medicine were begining to improve individuals lives, people were more accepting of science, and in the huxley-wilberforce debate, huxley presented enough evidence to convince the public of darwins theory

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)