Newcastle in General... (1 Viewer)

clairine73

Sleepy :P
HSC
Hi guys, i'm a total novice with a shitty computer so don't send me to other threads plz!

Just a few questions...
Anyone at on-campus accom. this year, is it recommended? ppl laid back?, and are there any stereotypes of people from each 'house' or whatever they're called?

Also, is the city itself easy to get around by car/public transport? (I'm a crap driver, from what I read I'll just be adding to a problem?) And how often do you guys go to Sydney?

Lastly, how's the shopping?

Thanks guys, I'm going in 07, just planning ahead/ getting a feel for it.

PrincessSJ

Work. Inn. Buy Shoes
HSC
I'm not living on campus, so can't answer that one

The city is reasonably easy to get around by car and public transport, watch out for stupid one way streets.. but on a bus, you'll be fine..

I go to Sydney nearly every weekend, but thats because my boyfriend is down there... generally tho, there's not really a need to go to Sydney.. unless you have something specific to go there for...

The shopping is not A-Grade, but its also not devastating...There's a few main shopping centres, with all the basic major chains.. but for nice shopping check out some of the boutiques on Darby St. (in town) Westfield Tuggerah is only 40mins down the road and has a little more choice.. and Westfield Hornsby is only a little further than that for a little more choice...

Good luck!

mrbassman

0.38 posts per day...meh
HSC
on campus is awesome. im not sure what you mean by stereotypes because there are all kinds of people that live here. laid back? yes at times. other times it is crazy

vodkacrumble

shiftworker
HSC
i did my first year of uni at newcastle and i loved living there (only t/f because i didn't like the course, but loved the uni and the place)

i wasn't on campus, but knew people who did and they loved it, very friendly social atmosphere. be prepared to go into a bit of liver failure. and the washing machines are only $1 a load!

i had my car and did a decent amount of driving but BEWARE - PARKING IS HORRENDOUS ON CAMPUS. it's okay before 8am or after 4pm :p however you will sharpen your parking/listening skills as you sit in an aisle and wait to hear for an engine starting up.

shopping is good, another place to go is Charlestown Square - but also beware the bogans during the weekday.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Yes, but you're there a lot later than us.

Parking is a BITCH this year. It is steadily getting marginally better, but it is still a psycho-evil-wench-whore.

Die, parking, die :mad:

moz

Med Student
HSC
I've lived on campus for 2 years now, and can not recommend it highly enough! By far it is the best way to go. basically the breakdown of the 4 colleges is this:

Evatt $120/wk - self-catered, thus mainly girls, about 70-30 ratio girls to guys, fun place, nice ppl. accom is in units with living room/kitchen between 10 and toilets between 5 ppl

IH $158/wk- semi-catered, (where i am!) we get dinners each week night, but do our own breaky, lunch and dinner and all meals on wknds. this suits ppl who want to go back to sydney, or just might not be around during wknds, or just like cooking with friends! it's about 50/50 guys to girls and is 50/50 internationals to australians, which means u get a lot of very funny and friendly (and drunk) americans and scandanavians. accom is the same setup as evatt

Teds (Edwards Hall) $188/wk- is fully catered: breaky and dinner during the week, and all 3 meals on wknds. ideal if your lazy tehehe. i have a lot of my mates who live/lived there and love it. great place. accom is in large dorm buildings, or 3-4 floors. u have about 20 ppl on your hallway, and u share a few showers/toilets and a wee lil kitchenette (dont need much more cause u dont/can't cook there! :p). teds is about 50/50 guys girls as well.

all 3 of these colleges have great social lives, the social clubs organise plenty of events (tonight Teds is going to Jazz in the Park, and IH is going night lawnbowls at local bowling club, followed by local Irish Pub for Sty. Pat's day.. dunno what evatt is doing, going to sum pub sumwhere to drink)

the 4th college, Barahineban $190/wk/room is setup so u either share a room (with kitchenette/shower/toilet) with a roommate, or you pay a fortune to have it to yuorself. there is no catering provided, and its very quite and secluded. social life doesnt really exist there. it's ideal for internationals or older students who might want to "retire" from the other colleges. i strongly recommend aGAINST moving there in your first yr.

as for shopping.. well college students get a free bus to jesmond shops every thursday night to go grocery shopping/whatever else u want to buy (beer etc). as others have said, charlestown shops are big as well (but farther away, about 25 mins on bus).

if u live on college parking isnt a problem.. u get free residential parking and u walk to class. it's 15 min drive to beach/city.

and as for Sydney? who cares?!?!?!?! why would anyone want to go there!

---
p.s. IH is the best... but i'm biased lol.

Emily.

Pro-VSU
HSC
how the hell do you know when im there jess?

im there in the middle of the day one day each week this sem and i find a park all the time

PrincessSJ

Work. Inn. Buy Shoes
HSC
Emily. said:
how the hell do you know when im there jess?

im there in the middle of the day one day each week this sem and i find a park all the time
who are you sleeping with to get that?????

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
This was were I wanted to post it...does anyone actually live in Barra? Does it come with your own kitchenette and ensuite? From what I've read it sounds like it, but I just wanted a definitive yes or no answer. Whats the social life like? I wanted more laid back rather than the halls type of life.

Cheers

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
White Rabbit, have you always been at UNCLE?

Cyph

espresso me up!
HSC
White Rabbit said:
LOL?! I think...I'll pretend I know what you mean ;) :p

Hi Cyph!!
What are you doing in this part of the forum? Thought you went/lived out Bathurst way or something, but I see you've relocated to Sydney?

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
Cyph said:
What are you doing in this part of the forum? Thought you went/lived out Bathurst way or something, but I see you've relocated to Sydney?

LOL, went out to Bathurst and came back home, doing my TENs now and hopefully will be up at Newy 2007/08 :D

Jumb - nup, never been at UNCLE

Cyph

espresso me up!
HSC
Rock on! If you're ever up Newy way, or coming here for Uni.. I owe you a drink!

magchem07

Open Up!
HSC
moz said:
I've lived on campus for 2 years now, and can not recommend it highly enough! By far it is the best way to go. basically the breakdown of the 4 colleges is this:

Evatt $120/wk - self-catered, thus mainly girls, about 70-30 ratio girls to guys, fun place, nice ppl. accom is in units with living room/kitchen between 10 and toilets between 5 ppl

IH $158/wk- semi-catered, (where i am!) we get dinners each week night, but do our own breaky, lunch and dinner and all meals on wknds. this suits ppl who want to go back to sydney, or just might not be around during wknds, or just like cooking with friends! it's about 50/50 guys to girls and is 50/50 internationals to australians, which means u get a lot of very funny and friendly (and drunk) americans and scandanavians. accom is the same setup as evatt

Teds (Edwards Hall) $188/wk- is fully catered: breaky and dinner during the week, and all 3 meals on wknds. ideal if your lazy tehehe. i have a lot of my mates who live/lived there and love it. great place. accom is in large dorm buildings, or 3-4 floors. u have about 20 ppl on your hallway, and u share a few showers/toilets and a wee lil kitchenette (dont need much more cause u dont/can't cook there! :p). teds is about 50/50 guys girls as well.

all 3 of these colleges have great social lives, the social clubs organise plenty of events (tonight Teds is going to Jazz in the Park, and IH is going night lawnbowls at local bowling club, followed by local Irish Pub for Sty. Pat's day.. dunno what evatt is doing, going to sum pub sumwhere to drink)

the 4th college, Barahineban $190/wk/room is setup so u either share a room (with kitchenette/shower/toilet) with a roommate, or you pay a fortune to have it to yuorself. there is no catering provided, and its very quite and secluded. social life doesnt really exist there. it's ideal for internationals or older students who might want to "retire" from the other colleges. i strongly recommend aGAINST moving there in your first yr.

as for shopping.. well college students get a free bus to jesmond shops every thursday night to go grocery shopping/whatever else u want to buy (beer etc). as others have said, charlestown shops are big as well (but farther away, about 25 mins on bus).

if u live on college parking isnt a problem.. u get free residential parking and u walk to class. it's 15 min drive to beach/city.

and as for Sydney? who cares?!?!?!?! why would anyone want to go there!

---
p.s. IH is the best... but i'm biased lol.

could u make it clear for me how many ppl u r in each room in either of these colleges?

Thank u

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
magchem07 said:
could u make it clear for me how many ppl u r in each room in either of these colleges?

Thank u
They shove 20 poeple into the same closet sized room and then lock the doors. Sometimes the people on the bottom die.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)