New rep policy (1 Viewer)

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
jumb said:
That's true. I always took this board as social.
I find that an issue with the NS board actually :\ With it there's just so much more spam, and it's only lightly controlled at the moment.

Ah well, if you have any suggestions, we'll always be glad to hear. :)

rumour

HSC
What is "rep trading"?

Is that when someone reps you & asks you to rep them back?
Do you want people to dob them in?

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
I dont think anyone cares enough to "dob" people in, but Im sure the admins/mods would appreciate it

santaslayer

HSC
anti said:
Hmm, I wasn't aware of that.

We'll have to take it into consideration. Thanks for bringing it up SS :p

What would you think about increasing the # of posts required before re-repping someone?

I think that is a helpful (and even better) alternative for continuing with the reputation system. Things that need to be taken into account:

1) Will people spam in order to rep someone? (probably not)

2) But wouldn't that constrain members from repping the people who really deserve it?

Maybe have a double standard system whereby BoS civillians use the above rep system and then giving certain mods the power to rep anyone anytime?

IMO, people have their own opinion on the level of credibility of certain members and the admin are only creating more problems/troubles than they want to handle with by continuing with the reputation system, but of course, I have no say in that. :p
You might like to argue that the system provides for an indication for noObs to ask questions via PM to more credible members. If they were intelligent enough, they would be able to point them out through their tireless assistance through various forums anyway.
Also, the level of reps do not soley indicate helpfulness. They also indicate a number of other things such as popularity and humour. (These things don't only occur in NS)

OK, I think I'm finished. I hope I don't get banned. :p

Melody

HSC
N/A
anti said:
b) Non-School reps will no longer count and many of the 'rep me i'll rep you' repping was done in NS. I'm not sure if there's a set date from which they will not count or whether like NS posts they will be removed completely from the rep system.

Thanks :) It was a joint effort by all the mods (woohoo! we do stuff toGETHER)
Oooh... *gets excited*
Does that mean any bad rep received from NS will disappear completely? *wanders off quietly mumbling to herself about her only rep*

sub

hey how do u neg rep?

umm, can u please not use me as an example to prove ur point that such a thing exists? much appreciated :)

rumour

HSC
Melody said:
Oooh... *gets excited*
Does that mean any bad rep received from NS will disappear completely? *wanders off quietly mumbling to herself about her only rep*
No,

only reps made after they changed the policy won't count!!!!

sub-it doesn't exist anymore.

J

jhakka

sub said:
hey how do u neg rep?

umm, can u please not use me as an example to prove ur point that such a thing exists? much appreciated :)
As was said in another thread:

withoutaface said:
You can't anymore since Laz declared this a happy little pixie land where nothing ever goes wrong :)

J

jhakka

On a different note, perhaps the possibility of completely removing the reputation feature should be considered. I personally don't have a problem with the new system, instead I applaud it, however if all the tomfoolery that's been happening in Non-School recently goes on for too long, that forum will sink even lower.

I believe Laz did say that the reputation feature was something that was to be trialled when it was first introduced, and if there is going to be this much controversy whenever a change is made, perhaps it should be discontinued altogether.

EDIT: Found it.
http://www.boredofstudies.org/community/showpost.php?p=746914&postcount=6

Last edited by a moderator:

rumour

HSC
jhakka said:
On a different note, perhaps the possibility of completely removing the reputation feature should be considered. I personally don't have a problem with the new system, instead I applaud it, however if all the tomfoolery that's been happening in Non-School recently goes on for too long, that forum will sink even lower.
I agree!!!

I don't know why people are so upset about the whole ns thing, that wasn't even the point behind reps in the first place!!!
As most of the things in ns are not helpful!!!!

Last edited:

Melody

HSC
N/A
rumour said:
No,

only reps made after they changed the policy won't count!!!!
Darn...
In some ways I am glad they got rid of bad rep, makes you feel so dirty...
But then the other day I went to neg rep someone, not realising that it had been removed. I couldn't help but feel that it was slightly unfair that a longer-term member, albeit for the most part a lurker, could be labelled as an "unknown quantity" (9 rep points) while somebody who is new, assuming no one take it upon themselves to rep the semi-active lurker, will always have a "higher" reputation no matter what their posts are like.

*shrugs*
Will just have to wait for someone to spread some rep around, lol :)

All this being said, you guys are doing a great job of evolving the site
More power to you! Lol, or maybe not... jk :)

sunny

meh.
HSC
jhakka said:

I believe Laz did say that the reputation feature was something that was to be trialled when it was first introduced, and if there is going to be this much controversy whenever a change is made, perhaps it should be discontinued altogether.

EDIT: Found it.
http://www.boredofstudies.org/community/showpost.php?p=746914&postcount=6
Let me assure you that the rep system is under constant scrutiny in the mod forums. Completely removing the feature to stop idiots abusing the system has always been on the table, but we have opted for alternatives and changes in the meantime.

Not that i am one to stick to policy...but it annoys me whne you see people who joined this month, have posted three times and already have one rep box...man it took me over a year to get my first one. Maybe im jsut a loser with no friends... :rolleyes:

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
No you wouldnt be, thats exactly why we're trying to curb it. Some people are genuinely worthy of it, others seem to thrive on the trading.

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
can the cool members (like me) have the option to neg rep?

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Beck the Bimbo said:
Not that i am one to stick to policy...but it annoys me whne you see people who joined this month, have posted three times and already have one rep box...man it took me over a year to get my first one. Maybe im jsut a loser with no friends... :rolleyes:
This reputation system was only recently introduced, that is why you only just got a box:p. Everyone who is a member of this forum has a box:p.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Merethrond said:
This reputation system was only recently introduced, that is why you only just got a box:p. Everyone who is a member of this forum has a box:p.
lolololol yeah that was a funny post

J

jhakka

sunny said:
Let me assure you that the rep system is under constant scrutiny in the mod forums. Completely removing the feature to stop idiots abusing the system has always been on the table, but we have opted for alternatives and changes in the meantime.
OK, cool. Thanks for that. :)

hotcocoababe

Sexiest BoS Member
I'm up there.... somewhere... gently floating abou
HSC
I say, stick at it sunny+mods ;)
I enjoy the rep system (although I am currently stuck at 99 points which is funny, but slighty frustrating LOL) and find it harmless fun... if only everyone else was likeminded, we wouldn't have any problems :)

It's nice to know that someone appreciates something you said :D

EDIT: I was NOT asking for rep then... and didn't realise that it sounded suggestive :eek: Hope no one's cranky at me now :s

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)