New Kingdom Egypt (1 Viewer)

Ash03

Hi,

I am probably really stupid to ask this but what could I talk about when referring to the impact of the amarna period??

Also, I noticed that in the 2001 exam they asked a question on the roles and contributions of ANY TWO queens. Is it likely that they will ask the same question again, but about A particular queen?? I am running out of time to learn about all of them :(

SmokedSalmon

HSC
Most likely they won't ask about queens again...

The impact of Amarna Period:
* The demise of the sufficient economy of Egypt
* depletion of relations with foreign countries (Amarna Letters).
* Akhenaten too caught up in religious reforms to go on military campaigns to fortify its borders. Hittites rise in power capturing allied vassal cities of Egypt.
* Only one god presiding over all, only linked to the Pharaoh and family no one else. Loss of faith in Egyptians.
* Increase recognition of women (could be added) but the military one is A HUGE IMPACT. You could go on for ages on it.

Hope this helped.

cakeater

sydney, NSW, Australia, the world the solar system
in the issue regarding the impact of the amarna period, you have to assess how each sucessive Pharaoh has reacted to Akhenaten and his changes. For example, following the amarna period no single god was ever stressed again. ie Seti's temple to Osiris had like 8 chapels dedicated to himself, osiris, isis, horakhte etc. The focus was on "Many gods", and although amun made a comeback his priesthood was never as powerful as it had been in the years leading up until "the rebellion" (as the ramessides knew the amarna period to be).
oh and although Akhenaten has been labelled a 'pacifist', and it seems as though he was "too caught up in religious reforms to go on military campaigns" his reign was not deviod of military activity. In year 5 he smashed the Numbians and impaled a number of the captives. Whilst Akhenaten was in power only a small amount of land was lost in Northern Syria. The fact that he he only emarked on one punitive expedition, doesnt mean he had a lack of interest in diplomatic affairs. He maintained good relations between Egypt and its neighbours through letter writing, diplomatic marriages and foreign receptions (ie the political durbar of year 12 as depicted on the walls of the tombs of Meryre II and Huy).. sorry this is helping me study as i am getting information out.. has anyone got any interesting quotes for ahkhenaten's reign? this is my funniest:
J Pendlebury - "the impression that the art and civilization of amarna gives us is that of an ephemeral butterfly age with that total lack of moral standards usually associated with happy morons". lol can u beat it?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)