[new hand]reference books needed (1 Viewer)

ne plus ultra

HSC
hey i'm an international student who arrived in sydney for a year, now in year 11 and going to be year 12 next month.
i plan to study extension two maths, but i still not very clear about how we ll be examed in HSC.

one of my friends who is in epping boy recoomend SUCCESS ONE MATHS 3/4U PAST HSC PAPER to me while didnt mention anything about the common book(i think><) EXCLE.
do these books really work? can you guys recommend some reference books to me?

NEED REPLY. THANK YOU.

Affinity

HSC
Cambridge(Arnold) seems like the best standard one around.. (in my humble opinion)
Ofcourse if you are enthusiastic then any decent book on maths is good enough, and come here often to answer the questions posted by others.. it's one of the most effective ways of learning.

In general I hold a low opinion in excel and success books, but that's just me. I don't feel these books are "organic".. in the sense that they distort what maths should be and you end up putting in more effort to learn

go to http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au to check out the syllabus.

Last edited:

Affinity

HSC
ne plus ultra said:
hey i'm an international student who arrived in sydney for a year, now in year 11 and going to be year 12 next month.
i plan to study extension two maths, but i still not very clear about how we ll be examed in HSC.
Let me guess you are chinese :p use "newbie" instead of [new hand]
The final HSC exam will be a 3 Hour paper consisting of 8 questions(more appropriately called sections/parts), of which the two are generally more difficult.
ne plus ultra said:
one of my friends who is in epping boy recoomend SUCCESS ONE MATHS 3/4U PAST HSC PAPER to me while didnt mention anything about the common book(i think><) EXCLE.
The MANSW publishes a book with hscs from the past 10 years with solutions every year. ask your teacher about it.. I think it costs around 20? for each book (I n 2003 it was $16, should be more expensive now), refer to my earlier post for other comments about books

ne plus ultra said:
do these books really work??
No, books don't work, you do. It's not like that the HSC is some kind of game which involves collecting the right books.

ne plus ultra

HSC
THANK YOU!!! very helpful!!!~

ps. is it that obvious i m chinese newbie(hoho~i got it``)..../////..blushing..\\\\\

fishy89sg

HSC
buy a clear, concise, easy book like maths in focus then a 'demanding' book like cambridge

like soulsearcher said, diversify man

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)