New computer (1 Viewer)

sandersen

si seulement...
HSC
Hey guys,
Just wondering whether you think it would be worth waiting for Vista because I want to buy a new computer soon...

Or alternatively I might go an Appple - they're just so expensive!

Convince me!

DeathB4Life

Bánned
HSC
if youre into gaming then wait till directx10 gpus are out. if youll just be using the comp casually then i dont think theres much value in waiting unless you specifically want to use vista.

sandersen

si seulement...
HSC
I'm not into gaming.... yet anway.

It's just for internet and word processing. It's just vista looks cool

AntiJap

HSC
N/A
Then just use XP or 2000 cos teh vista is v. expensive.

jake2.0

. . .
HSC
If you cant wait long AND want vista aswell in a couple of weeks (i think) if you buy a computer with XP pro you'll get a coupon which will allow you to get Vista for FREE whenever it comes out, so might be worth waiting for the coupons.

jake2.0

. . .
HSC
politik said:
Incorrect. Even if Vista does go RTM, it won't be available until the volume licensee's receive it.
in english?

breaking

paint huffing moron
HSC
you really dont need vista anyway
theres nothing wrong with XP, its been out for a while, its stable and all that sort of shit, especially if you just wanna do net and word processing and shit.

jake2.0

. . .
HSC
breaking said:
you really dont need vista anyway
theres nothing wrong with XP, its been out for a while, its stable and all that sort of shit, especially if you just wanna do net and word processing and shit.
True, there is not much point installing vista until the first service pack comes out, at the least.

sandersen

si seulement...
HSC
Would there be any significant developments in computers between now and January?

And also, wouldn't Vista work better with a computer designed for it?

I don't really know that much about computers...

HotShot

-_-
HSC
sandersen said:
Would there be any significant developments in computers between now and January?

And also, wouldn't Vista work better with a computer designed for it?

I don't really know that much about computers...
NO

get 486 and run windows 95 - i think u can. U will be happy surfing the net and word processing. U can also play solitaire pretty comfortably.

Vista will come out next year and it will stable with all the patches a year later - by that linux distributions would be kick ass- so just get linux. learn it and its awesome.

get a amd processor. dont bother with apple.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Yes there most certainly will be, namely:
- the rolling out for the first direct x 10 compatible cards.
- probable lowering in price of the conroes.

sandersen

si seulement...
HSC
withoutaface said:
Yes there most certainly will be, namely:
- the rolling out for the first direct x 10 compatible cards.
- probable lowering in price of the conroes.
What exactly are conroes?

DeathB4Life

Bánned
HSC
theyre a line of proessors recently released. fast and cheap, that pretty much summarises them.

maskd

HSC
I'm waiting for Apple to upgrade their MacBook's to Core 2 Duo's (They updated the MBPs to them today). Not really because of the processer update, but because they will most likely have bigger hard drives + more ram for the same price.

That is if they release it in January some time, if not I'll just get a MacBook as it is, I'm getting it before Uni.

Last edited:

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
sandersen said:
Hey guys,
Just wondering whether you think it would be worth waiting for Vista because I want to buy a new computer soon...

Or alternatively I might go an Appple - they're just so expensive!

Convince me!
From what I've seen with comparing laptops at least, Apple products cost about the same as PC's when you factor in the education discount (which is actually fairly substantial).

GaDaMIt

Premium Member
HSC
Anyone know any good BYO (build your own) computer stores? Like.. cheap?

Last edited:

Collin

HSC
N/A
There certainly will be some new products for PCs between now and January, but nothing too critical for desktops. Like already mentioned, Intel's new Quad processors will debut and NVIDIA's DirectX10 video cards will become available too. However the only models of Quad expected to be out by January is the QX6700 and possibly the Q6600. Chances are you won't want (nor need) to spend $1,000 on a quad-core processor when all you're doing is word processing and surfing the internet. Also the only DX10 cards expected to be out by January are the NVIDIA 8800GTX and the 8800GTS (~$1,000, ~$750 respectively). They're both high-end enthusiast/gaming video cards.. you won't need that. Plus as long as you buy a PC with a free PCI-x16 slot, you can always upgrade to a DX10 discrete card solution later on.

The main improvements will be in the notebooks market. Intel is scheduled to release their 4th generation Centrino platform for laptops in Q1 (probably not Jan, but close), in which it's features are very much geared towards Vista performance.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)