New comp.: "The device cannot start. (Code 10)." (1 Viewer)

Lord Ac

Trust me *wink*
HSC
I just bought this system:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350005361105

The system is supposedly tested and working (running XP home), but out of the box there was an exclamation mark in device manager on the graphics card (Gigabyte 8600GT 512mb) and the screen and graphics were all poor.

I try installed drives from CD again (after installing Direct X 9), but it tells me it it can't or doesnt feel like it. I uninstall the driver and then try to reinstall the driver and it gives me the error:

The device cannot start. (Code 10).

Also tried downloading the drivers from the Nvidia website. No difference.

??? Any ideas ???

Thanks,
Ac

goony

i am here to ride bike
HSC
Try a full cleanout of any graphics drivers that could've been installed then try installing the latest forceware drivers again.

Code 10 definitely is something to do with display drivers according to this:
http://support.microsoft.com/servicedesks/webcasts/wc091802/devicemgrerrcodes.htm?&gssnb=1

First i'd try re-seating the graphics card and make sure all cabling is clear etc. and if worse comes to worse, uninstall all graphics drivers, reboot, let windows use the basic built-in drivers and start from scratch.

I got the same problem when I got my new computer, the drivers had been incorrectly setup, however i was just able to install drivers from the cd without hassle :/

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
If the graphics card wasn't working, how would he be able to see stuff?

The stuff on the cd is probably crap, download the latest graphic drivers from nvidia and try those.

p4e81

Domesticated Daydreamer
HSC
jumb said:
If the graphics card wasn't working, how would he be able to see stuff?

The stuff on the cd is probably crap, download the latest graphic drivers from nvidia and try those.
The graphics card doesnt have to be fully functional for the display to work, and he did try downloading from nvidia...

Lord Ac

Trust me *wink*
HSC
I tried formatting, and it turned out the BIOS was also corrupt ... I sent it back to where it came from (Hell, errrr ... South Australia).

Ac

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)