• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Neverwinter Nights (1 Viewer)

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Ah Diablo, that brings back memories of the hours of fun I had, mindlessly clicking on monsters. Too bad it got a little boring after a while.

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
Riviet said:
Ah Diablo, that brings back memories of the hours of fun I had, mindlessly clicking on monsters. Too bad it got a little boring after a while.
they really should make a 3rd version of the game.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Slide Rule said:
Well... NWN was fun and all. But it is hardly how I would define an RPG.

Have you ever played games like Baldur's Gate, Fallout, Icewind Dale, KoTOR or VTM: Bloodlines? Those are the GOOD RPGs.

On that note, NWN2 will bloody rock! Take a look at some of the material regarding NWN2. It's like NWN1 times 100. That's like... NWN 100.

Coincidentally, Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 and KoTOR were done by the people who did NWN (Bioware). KoTOR 2 was done by the people who did IceWind Dale and Fallout 2 (Black Isle, now Obsidianent), and are doing NWN2, and who helped Bioware with Baldur's Gate 1 and 2. Further, VTM: Bloodlines was done by a portion of the team who did Fallout 1 (this team was called Interplay and the derivative was called Troika, but both of these teams have gone bankrupt), with another portion of this team becoming members of Black Isle, then Obsidianent.

What am I saying? I'm saying you should go buy and play those games!
Have you played any elder scrolls games?

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
I played NWN for a while just recently - it took absolutely forever just to get through Chapter 1.

I got *really* sick of always having to walk around inside rather than outside. Those cramped labyrinth mazes that you seem to continuously end up finding under an old warehouse or some other random building make me want to start rushing through the area, ignoring everything until I get to whatever big bad guy is at the end, just so I can kill him and finally get back out into the open!

There is no sense of adventure or exploration when you're underground (again, and again, and each time it always looks the same).

I like the characters, and the storyline, and the skill system etc, but man. Those areas kill it for me.

My other gripe relates to the quests... I seriously find it hard to believe that designers aren't able to come up with anything more creative than Postman Pat quests - which, more often than not, actually don't require any effort whatsoever, because if you just keep walking around the area you'll accidentally complete all of your delivery quests anyway!

Argh. I hate these games. They could be so much better.

Someone needs to take those great problem-solving elements of an adventure game and throw them into a plot-packed RPG. Anyone know of a game like that??

Riviet

HSC
N/A
hopeles5ly said:
they really should make a 3rd version of the game.
Yeah, that would have been nice, since it was so popular.

P

pLuvia

But what could they do? I think it was enough that they didn't create another one or else they would have taken it too far

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
waf: I did play Morrowind. It was the only game which caused me we to ask for 3 weeks of my life back. Don't get me wrong - I enjoyed parts of it... but for a supposed open-ended RPG, it failed pretty badly. Sure, there was a large land mass to explore, but how much of that actually contained encounters? And how many of the encounters contained any sense of depth which differentiated them from the others just like them? And the storyline was pretty linear and unimaginative. And what was up with the dialogue? You clicked keywords and that was it! I adored some areas, though. The swamp/forest areas, as well as a few dungeons and dwarven ruins, though again they got repetitive after a while, and they could have done so much more with the dwarves storyline!

Regardless, I am looking forward to Oblivion very much. Bethesda seems to have a knack for making real improvements on their past games, and they also seem to have made a decent dialogue system for this game. I suppose I'm also being hopeful because they are responsible for the development of Fallout 3, and if Oblivion is great, it is likely that FO3 will be.

Anyway, as for NWN1: I disliked the game graphically. Compared to something like Morrowind or even its isometric predessessor, Buldur's Gate, it felt pretty comical and repetitive. And that was actually due partly to an engine limitation. If you'll take a look at NWN2 screenshots, you'll see that it looks as good as Morrowind or Oblivion - thank god. I think the lack of variability in tiles lead partly to my inability to enjoy the dozens of underground areas quite as much as I would have liked. I'm normally a big fan of underground areas - as long as each one is largely unique (both in purpose for existing, and in graphical detail). A simple matter of quality over quantity, I suppose. Anyway, graphics aside, I got pretty fed up with the henchmen. Compared to games like KoTOR, Baldur's Gate, Fallout and the master-piece Planescape: Torment, the joinable NPCs were woefully one-dimensional and boring. Their quests were all unoriginal fed-ex, and their personalities were for the most part pretty bland. And what PURPOSE did they have to tag along? Oh, they had one, but it could have done with a healthy dose of creativity. Having said that, I enjoyed Shadows of Undrentide a lot more, and I suppose the majority of this rant applies to the original campaign of NWN.

The strange thing is, Bioware did NWN and KoTOR at approximately the same time, and used the same game engine and rule set. Why they were worlds apart I do not know. Surely it is due to something more than the setting?

Anyway, to answer your question, Laz: I think Planescape: Torment might fit the bill. I don't exactly know the breadth of your tastes, though, and PS:T is a bit quirky (but supremely awesome, IMHO), so...

PS:T is based in the Planescape setting, and the first half of the game mainly takes place in Sigil, the city of doors which houses portals to all the different planes, such as Baator, Faerun (where NWN is set), Elysium, Negative Energy plane, etc. The second half takes place in some of these planes.

I also thoroughly enjoyed Fallout in terms of plot and characters. That game is trun-based isometric, and slightly out of date graphically, however (1997). Though I'd still say it is my favourite game of all time. Fallout 2 is a very nice sequel. Oh and it is post-apocalypse sci-fi.

And Blizzard has split up. The Blizzard you see now is not the same group that made Diablo 1 and 2. That group is making Hellgate: London, instead, so go take a gander at that. That is 3D, though.

Speaking of 3D games, have you guys played Deus Ex or System Shock? Deus Ex falls under the genre of RPG, however System Shock doesn't really. Either way they are both awesome games. Again, sci-fi.

Um. Sorry for being overly verbose.

Last edited:

stalk_if_u_dare

cheese hater
HSC
I LOVE NWN...i just got the Kingmaker Modules & that first game is pretty good..but i prefer the second one, Shadow Guard, but i wish u get to fight the bad guy...still better than nothing :D

NWN rocks!

But Civilization IV rocks even more!!!

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Wow, the first BOSer that absolutely loves NWN!

I have to say though that I got a little bored in the middle of chapter two, so I just stopped for a while and started playing The Sims 2 instead. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)