Networking/whatever it's called (1 Viewer)

shiny

The Shiny One
HSC
N/A
i'm going to get a new computer soon and my current computer is directly hooked up to optus' crappy (sorry) cable connection thru a wall socket.

the new computer is going to be upstairs (hopefully) and the old one is still gona be down in the living room.

the question is what things do i need to buy in order to have both computers connected to the net- even with the main computer off. wires are going to be ugly so it's best if the hardware needed is/are wireless.

sunny

meh.
HSC
There are many wireless options depending on your price range. Most complete wireless solutions can come for $200-$300.

Immolate

Elvish Warrior!
HSC
What you'll need is:

2x wireless PCI card
A wireless router

I suggest you check out the Billion's line of wireless products @ www.billion.com.au. They're cheap but they work wonders.

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
Don't get netcomm, my router is oer heating, i'm currently using it with its top off, lol

damn crappy australian engineering, this is what i get for supporting australian company :(

if you got the money go for the good brands like linksys and D-link, but cheap brands work almost as well too. You have to remember this will be a long term investment you don't want a crappy connection for a long time.

JayWalker

HSC
jm1234567890 said:
Don't get netcomm, my router is oer heating, i'm currently using it with its top off, lol

damn crappy australian engineering, this is what i get for supporting australian company :(

if you got the money go for the good brands like linksys and D-link, but cheap brands work almost as well too. You have to remember this will be a long term investment you don't want a crappy connection for a long time.
I'm using a D-Link Router, works real good... Provides both computers (both next to eachother) with fast cable through 1 modem. Catch is, if one computer is connected, the other comp has access to internet too :D and if one computer disconnects, even if other is connectd, they have to reconnect...

Still good, using both comps i can still get speeds on avg 2MBps but if I --- *looks around for Telstra Reps* - If i say .. "modify" their connection program, i can download 32MBps split boht ways so each comp gets 16MBps :D Shhhh :D:D

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
JayWalker said:
I'm using a D-Link Router, works real good... Provides both computers (both next to eachother) with fast cable through 1 modem. Catch is, if one computer is connected, the other comp has access to internet too :D and if one computer disconnects, even if other is connectd, they have to reconnect...

you contacted D-Link about that? what did they say?

JayWalker

HSC
Nah its just the way I set it up - on purpose :D when my parents check its not connected on the left comp, im usin the one on the right :p so i still get to use internet :D

neuro_logik

HSC
Netgear is pretty good too, nice and stable :)

I've got a Netgear Wireless AP connected to my switch, I get a pretty good signal too, i get around 48Mb/s from the second level of my house.

masteraal

ive got the wired version...quite good :)
im gonna go get the 108mbit wireless one...thatll be sick :) and its sexy and black :p

equiski

HSC
Immolate said:
What you'll need is:

2x wireless PCI card
A wireless router

I suggest you check out the Billion's line of wireless products @ www.billion.com.au. They're cheap but they work wonders.

From what I've seen, many wireless routers have multiple cat5 ports availible. So if you have a router with multiple LAN ports and have one of your computers near where the router is plugged; you could plug that computer in via cat 5 cable and save yourself from buying one of the wireless PCI cards.

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
problem with that is you sacrific positioning of the router.

this could be important if you have a big house

Immolate

Elvish Warrior!
HSC
equiski said:
From what I've seen, many wireless routers have multiple cat5 ports availible. So if you have a router with multiple LAN ports and have one of your computers near where the router is plugged; you could plug that computer in via cat 5 cable and save yourself from buying one of the wireless PCI cards.
Yeah, that's true. I only suggested the 2 PCI wireless cards because he said he didn't want/require wires.

shiny

The Shiny One
HSC
N/A
Argh... wireless networking costed more than I had expected T_T
Prolly around 160 or more for me just to use the net upstairs.... grrrr

shiny

The Shiny One
HSC
N/A
Yeah, I just read some reviews on it... seems a bit unnecessary for me though.
Plus I'm only using it for the net, no need to 'swap files' as my friend said.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)