networking between laptop and computer (1 Viewer)

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC
i just got a new laptop with vista on it and have trouble creating a LAN between my main xp computer and the laptop. When I connect the cable into the laptop .. it just says its not connected. So therefore I don't have a connection between the two computers. Plus when trying to create a connection with the laptop, it mostly has wireless options which I don't want to do. So what do I do with that ?

Doing networking has to be the toughest things I've ever faced with computers. I'm never able to do them.

Just overall could you guys just tell me how I can create the LAN and what I have to do and all to get it up and running. And if I create the LAN it should be easy to create the internet connection through the LAN right ?

Bacilli

Hypocritical gump
HSC
N/A
sle3pe3bumz said:
i just got a new laptop with vista on it and have trouble creating a LAN between my main xp computer and the laptop. When I connect the cable into the laptop .. it just says its not connected. So therefore I don't have a connection between the two computers. Plus when trying to create a connection with the laptop, it mostly has wireless options which I don't want to do. So what do I do with that ?

Doing networking has to be the toughest things I've ever faced with computers. I'm never able to do them.

Just overall could you guys just tell me how I can create the LAN and what I have to do and all to get it up and running. And if I create the LAN it should be easy to create the internet connection through the LAN right ?
First, you need to tell me what internet connection you have?

wifi cable, standard cable, wireless internet, phoneline internet.. etc etc

Bacilli

Hypocritical gump
HSC
N/A
So it's cable internet yes? Ok, you need to install the moderm driver onto your laptop/Vista. You should have recieved an installation CD with your internet cable moderm etc... find that and install the driver onto the laptop. if you want to connect the laptop to the network, the cable moderm needs to have wi-fi, unless you hardwire the cable moderm to the laptop each time you want to connect to the internet.

Excalibur_

Not an Executive Member
HSC
Standard CAT5 (blue) cables won't work plugging computer-to-computer (aka ad-hoc network). You need what's known as a crossover cable to do so...

Alternatively, you could do a USB network between the two computers. I'm not sure about the technical requirements (having never set one up, but one would assume that it's all done on the operating system level).

However, that doesn't sound like what you want to do.

What it sounds like is that you have an internet connection you want to share between two computers. The best way to do this is to go out to your store and purchase another cable and a network switch [NOT HUB!] (4 port should suffice for you - I recently got an 8 port for $29). Then plug the network cable that previously went from your modem to your computer into the switch such that the modem is now connected to the switch.

Then connect your computer and laptop to the switch.

A number of ADSL/Cable modems these days come with routers built in - those usually have less fuss when it comes to sharing a connection and establishing a network.

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC
umm .. well i have a cable that I had used before to link this computer to the old one but unfortunately it got stuffed up when i reformatted and i didnt bother with it again. I've got the link between the two computers going so do I do what s-AINT says and get the motorola CD and use it on the laptop ?

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC
hm wait .. i dont think that works either .. plus the connection between the laptop and this computer has a speed of 100 Mbps. That's not normal right ? part of me believes that i set it up wrong .. although they can detect when its disconnected and all .. ah .. help please ? ><"

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC
ah no worries now .. some how i got it to work .. ahah im so excited ! =D thanks anyways guys =]

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC
a toshiba one .. lol ummm .. its black sleek and sexy .. aha .. thats all i really know about it .. x) I'm not very good with computers you see .. ^^"

Excalibur_

Not an Executive Member
HSC
Miles Edgeworth said:
... People need Crossover cables these days? I thought NICs compensated?

I know the one on all my macs does :S.

At any rate, use a crossover cable (Crimp your own if you don't have one, or look for a red cable, that's usually the colour) -> or just use a Hub.
You don't know how old equipment people are still using these days :S

*looks at old 10Base2/T NIC installed on old server*

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)