Network related assessment question (1 Viewer)

jakeman265

HSC
Stimulus: A small advertising business (Ad-ways) has grown out of its current office space and has decided to expand. There is property available next door however, it still won’t hold all the employees. They are going to work between the two buildings thus resulting in two Local Area Networks. These two networks will need to be linked together.

How would I connect the two LANs together? and how would I connect a bus network (containing the employee workstations) to a switch?

moxpsy

HSC
You would use a router to connect the two networks together. The packets of data need to be 'routed' to the other network. Routing is required because the packets need to be guided towards the target device (such as another workstation or networked printer).

A switch would be connected to a bus network typically through a BNC connection. Below is an image that shows how this would work;

transmission-images-bnc.gif

As you can see, the top half of the diagram is essentially part of the line which makes up the bus. The switch is plugged into the network though a connection into the cable.

Hope this helps. I don't always explain things the best so just ask if you want me to clarify anything I've said.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)