network hardware? (1 Viewer)

Fluorescent

Banned
HSC
I don't really understand much of the stuff on network hardware...

For example, where in a physical topology like a WAN or LAN are things like routers/hubs/switches used?

I added a photo of a question from an old paper

I've figured out that number 2 is a router...but why? and what about the other 3

Thanks

Sorry I've been asking heaps of questions XD

HSC
Uni Grad
well routers are used to determine the best route for a given data packet based on distance and cost algorithms.

Switches direct data packets along a path, simple and faster than a router as it contains no network information.

Bridges are a combination of hardware and software to link 2 similar network protocols.

Gateways are a combination of hardware and software to link 2 different network protocols.

Hubs are a networks central connecting device.

I know that doesn't answer your question but it's info nonetheless... As for 1, 2 and 4 (provided 3 is a router) I really have no idea.

cptkerageous

HSC
1 could be a switch because "a switch is a high performance multi-port device that connect small sections of LANs." The traffic is directly switched and transmitted to the intended receiver and not to the other nodes on the network.

4 could be a hub because when a hub receives a packet of data it simply amplifies and retransmits the packet to all attached nodes

as for 2, i'm guessing its a gateway because gateways are routinely used to connect a LAN to the internet

JBB

HSC
The question's pretty ambiguous.

where in a physical topology like a WAN or LAN are things like routers/hubs/switches used?
A hub/bridge/switch is used to connect any networkable device such as PCs or printers together. This forms the LAN
A router is the outermost device of the LAN - the LAN will end once it reaches the router. This will be where access to other parts of the corporate network over a WAN or access to the internet takes place.
A gateway is simply the router that a PC uses to exit the network. See your default gateway configurations for your router's IP

1 could either be a hub, bridge or switch, because it is connecting the pc's on the LAN together.
2 could be anything ... could be a router and hence a gateway ... my guess would be that it's a repeater because there is only one cable in and out - these just send the data again so the signal doesn't degrade
3 has got to be a router, because it's connecting several networks. Thats the main function of a router - to route packets between networks like what phoenix said
4 I have no idea.. it looks to be like a token ring network which don't really exist today (but are in the old IPT textbook my school gave me). If so, wikipedia says that the device is a MAU. <shrug>. If it were a hub then the two white box devices shouldn't be connecting.

All in all though the picture's -really- bad to try and learn from i wouldn't suggest using it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)