need uni info (1 Viewer)

mommba

umm i'm a bit confused with the uni stuff...the questions are:

1) what is UAC? i read the UAC book and it says that we can apply to uni through them and give them our 9 preferences. can i apply to the uni by myself? which one is better?

2) i have absolutely no idea about HECS...wats that?

3) the course that i want to get into requires high UAI... i know i won't be able to reach that high....its around 97+ (i try my best though)...so is there any other alternative to go into the course that i want?

4) about the dates, my career adviser says that i have to give the preferences around september...but how can it be? UAI is released on December? can some one plz explain to me about how the dates work?

TY for the answers

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
i think uac is how you apply for uni, i'm not sure how you'll apply by yourself

hecs is kinda like fees, except the govt pays some of it for you and you're supposed to pay them back after your course and when you start earning a certain amount

you can do a similar course, and try really hard in your first year to transfer. or you could do a similar course. i think there are some colleges and stuff that allows your to go into uni after some study. an alternative is full fees, as opposed to hecs, where you can get into the course with a uai slightly lower but you'll have to pay full fees (as the name suggests) i think there is also flexible entry, but i'm not too sure about what that is.

um, you give the preferences in first.. and i think the uai cut-off is sort of in relation to the demands of the course- like how many people want to do it in the state and how they go in the HSC. and after you get your uai, you can apply for courses which your uai allows you to get into.

sorry, i'm probably not a lot of help, just thought you might want some quick answers. most of this will be in the uac book so you might want to read through it a bit more.

mommba

if i chose to be transferred, do i need to repeat the 1st year of the new course?

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
You apply for Uni before you get your UAI because the UAI determines who gets in or not, and the cut off's vary each year.

You see, You have a course, lets say it's Law at Sydney Uni. Now, lets just say that they accept 10 undergrads, the last person to get in (the 10th person's) UAI will be the cut off for that year. so, number 10's UAI is 99.6, then Sydney Law's UAI cut off will be 99.6, which is why they vary each year and why it doesn't matter that you apply before you get your UAI.

...did that make any sense?

Generator

HSC
N/A
Not really, because you have to apply beforehand, but the final deadline for the applications to be finalised is after the uais are released...

Also, don't believe that the uais are only determined by the candidature, as there is much more to it than that.

There are other ways into uni that don't go through uac, but each uni is different and what one may offer might not be available at another. The very large majority of applicants go through uac, though.

pinkbella

Dancing naked in the moonlight (can't handle it? d
white rabbit is totally right, for the vast majority of courses (we're talking 99% or so here) that's how the candidature is determined. why you apply beforehand makes no sense, but that's just the way it is. I suppose with 65000 applying every year, a last minute rush would pretty much suck. And by September, you should have a pretty rough idea of what UAI you're looking at anyway.

plus, you can always change your preferences after the UAI's are released. don't stress too much now, all the uni stuff gets drilled into you next term!

is a roflcopter
HSC
how come science/low engi degrees require so little? i thought they were really popular :/

saladsurgery

kicking the cack
HSC
*shrugs*

but don't be put off by a course just because it has a relatively low uai.

some of the smartest people i know(uai's of 98+) are quite enjoying their arts degrees.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by saladsurgery
but don't be put off by a course just because it has a relatively low uai.
and by the same token, don't assume that a course will be easy because it has a low UAI, its most likely the reverse

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)