need to monitor... (1 Viewer)

nerdd

it's for chemical monitoring and management...

i can't remember the exact dot pt but it's something about the need and evidence to monitor chemicals/metals??

the hsc online said something about the need to monitor lead in food to ensure that we don't consume poisons that can accumulate in our bodies etc.

But the last time i checked they didn't actually provide evidence for why we needed to monitor.

anyone?

abdooooo!!!

Banned
im not sure what you're saying but we do need know the how AAS monitors the heavy metals and how effective they are; and evidence for monitoring one of the ions in the syllabus... like heavy metal poisoning, algae bloom...

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
okay, i think ur referring to this one:

3.3.2 Gather, process and present information to describe and explain evidence for the need to monitor levels of one of the above ions in substances used in society.

From my notes: One metal that must be monitored carefully is lead. Lead is a toxic, heavy metal. It can damage all the organs of the body, especially the brain, kidneys and reproductive system, by disrupting enzyme function. Lead inhibits the formation of haemoglobin in blood, causing anaemia and reducing the ability of blood to carry oxygen. It can cause neurological damage in the brain, especially in children.

Lead accumulates in the body and is difficult to excrete, and increases in concentration in the higher end of the food chain (a process called biomagnification). Its accumulation in air has been caused by the (now-ceased practice of) addition of lead into petrol, the mining and refining of lead and deterioration of lead-based paints.

The health and environmental destruction of lead makes it very necessary and important to monitor lead ion levels in our atmosphere, water, food and soil.

nerdd

okay so the evidence of lead is......?
body damage? increased health probs?

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
"...to describe and explain evidence for the need to monitor levels..."

it's not the evidence of the lead per se, rather WHY (ie. the need) lead needs to be monitored (read the syllabus statement again)...

so yes, the need for the monitoring has come from the evidence that lead causes all these health problems.

inasero

Reborn
HSC
the evidence? it's clear...once fish populations start declining in the northern european oceans for reaons other than overfishing...something fishy (hehe pardon the pun) is afoot.
Measurements of mercury concentrations in fish have been increasing steadily over the years- even past the recommended safe limits imposed by the WHO, and this is mainly due to bioaccumulation.
If that is not evidence enough. then I'm at a loss for words.

Recognise!

shadowRRL

HSC
when
Originally posted by abdooooo!!!
yea and don't forget to assess the information that you used to explain and describe, like its reliability... they might just ask that in the exam
when u say reliability do u mean the source of information?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)