Need some help with ECON200 (1 Viewer)

toknblackguy

HSC
hi guys
does anyone have any ideas what the econ200 upcoming MC test is going to be like? all the ones on the webct thing come up with cannot be found errors

i'm starting to get a little worried cause the lecture slide diagrams are getting pretty damn complicated
the varian ones are so much better

gnrlies

HSC
Yes I will second that! haha

Maybe if he broke the diagrams up into multiple ones in order to show the concept instead of trying to put so much info on one diagram.

I want to see some past papers too. Im dying to see what the difficulty is. Id be able to take it if its at tutorial question standards, but I dont want any big surprises! haha

Good_riceZ

Go the Rabbitohs!
HSC
At this rate anything to do with past papers will go a long way to giving some insight for me in how things are actually 'applied', I have no idea wtf is going on, I feel like its 1998 all over again :(

toknblackguy

HSC
so i take it noone has access to any past papers
good to know it's not me having some lamer errors

another question - does anyone have any study tips or techniques for this subject?
the lecture notes are quite useless on their own, so does everyone read from the textbook?
and how are you going to prepare for the exam?

Last edited:

gnrlies

HSC
toknblackguy said:
so i take it noone has access to any past papers
good to know it's not me having some lamer errors

another question - does anyone have any study tips or techniques for this subject?
the lecture notes are quite useless on their own, so does everyone read from the textbook?
Im ac tually finding myself doing it all from the lecture notes. I havent needed to use the textbook very much.

My biggest concern is not knowing how they are going to ask a question. Like how much detail, what kind of questions etc.

I mean for example I can totally do the tute questions fine, but then some of the complicated stuff with the graphs I might not understand 100%.

Ive got a mate who said he has some past exams, but no MC. I will upload them when I get them

toknblackguy

HSC
gnrlies said:
Im ac tually finding myself doing it all from the lecture notes. I havent needed to use the textbook very much.

My biggest concern is not knowing how they are going to ask a question. Like how much detail, what kind of questions etc.

I mean for example I can totally do the tute questions fine, but then some of the complicated stuff with the graphs I might not understand 100%.

Ive got a mate who said he has some past exams, but no MC. I will upload them when I get them
thanks
much appreciated
did your mate happen to remember what the MC questions were previously like?
chances are they wont change much at all

ReaveR

HSC
Here are a few of the finals with no MC..

Unfortunately, I did have some past papers of those midsems but it seems they got corrupted and I can't open them (Adobe throws all sorts of errors at me)..

There'll be quite a few calculation ones and looking at graphs and stuff. I remember a question where they showed a graph and asked which section was EV and CV etc.

gnrlies

HSC
ReaveR said:
Here are a few of the finals with no MC..

Unfortunately, I did have some past papers of those midsems but it seems they got corrupted and I can't open them (Adobe throws all sorts of errors at me)..

There'll be quite a few calculation ones and looking at graphs and stuff. I remember a question where they showed a graph and asked which section was EV and CV etc.
Thanks thats appreciated.

I gotta somehow get some MC! haha

toknblackguy

HSC
got another question
for lecture 5 where we go through engel curves and demand functions and stuff are we supposed to know engel curves (x1 against m) and demand functions x1 again p1 for all different types of goods/ cause some of them are pretty complicated and my fiagrams are pretty sucky and end up misleading me, esp that damn perfect substitute and quasi linear one

toknblackguy

HSC
and another question
if we study from the lecture notes will we be covering everything we need to know, or should we know everything from the textbook
eg only price and income elasticities in the notes, but there's a whole heap of other ones in the textbook

thanks

gnrlies

HSC
toknblackguy said:
got another question
for lecture 5 where we go through engel curves and demand functions and stuff are we supposed to know engel curves (x1 against m) and demand functions x1 again p1 for all different types of goods/ cause some of them are pretty complicated and my fiagrams are pretty sucky and end up misleading me, esp that damn perfect substitute and quasi linear one
Im gonna make a guess and say that we just need to know the nature of an engel curve and what that means in terms of inferior, normal good, etc. and perhaps some comparisons of engel curves (and how this reflects different income effects etc). I dont think we need to know what the engel curves look like for each indifference cure.

Tabris

HSC
its 4 cp for a reason, if its in L-notes i guess it would,

use the lagrage method for demand functions

gnrlies

HSC
Tabris said:
its 4 cp for a reason, if its in L-notes i guess it would,

use the lagrage method for demand functions
I totally agree that you'd need to know the demand and engel curve properties, but I dont think they would go so far as ask you to know the exact nature of each curve.

As long as you know their nature then thats the key point.

toknblackguy

HSC
yeah i'm starting to think it'd be a little ridicuolous for them to ask us to draw all the different types but i think if they give us a curve then we should be able to deduce properties from it
eg some positive sloping engel curve leads us to conclude it's a normal good

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)