Need some help please? (1 Viewer)

HSC
hey is there any way that you can distinguish between Lyric Poem, Ode, Sonnet, Ballad, Epic?

Like cause I have an english exam tomorrow so just wondering is there any possible way to distinguish the differences between these... l

For example, if i was given a poem and was asked what type of poem this is? Could you tell me how i can say what type of poem it will be?

lizziegirl

HSC
N/A
lyric : a poem that expresses the observations and feelings of a single speaker.
ode: a long lyric poem.
* differences between lyric and ode
* more dignified in tone, subject and style - usu. used to celebrate an event, person, etc. to try and identify between a lyric and an ode remember an ode is more 'formal' and reverent of a single subject.

sonnet: also contains praiseworthy material like a lyric and an ode, but differs from an ode in that it has a fixed structure (14 lines long). usu. has 10 syllables in each line.

ballad: a poem that tells a story often a folk story. Usually composed of 4 line stanzas.

epic: a long poem that is similar to the ballad as it tells a narrative, BUT concentrates on worshipping a 'hero' - i.e. the main character in the poem.

i hope thats helped you out. all the best for your exam!

:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)