Need some help and advice (1 Viewer)

Tabris

HSC
My UAI is 91.35

however, the cut-off for B Business is 92.05

I really want to do this course and i am considering to go as FEE rather than HECS

on uAC $17 000/ year

if i pay upfront $17, 000 a year do i get a 25% discount?

Beaky

You can read minds?
HSC
Another way is to do the B Bus / B Comp course (UAI 86.30) which has two degrees (the B Bus one and the B Comp one). Then transfer half way through or at the 1st year. Effectively you only have to catch up on 2-4 subjects depending when you transfer

Tabris

HSC
not really interested in comp but

mathematics and finance seems to be good

BTW, when they say recommended 3u maths (I only did 2u maths) will they re-teach the 3u componens as if some fo the students havent learnt it b4?

In other words when they teach the 3u stuf to 2u student, will the 2u student find it hard?

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
Tabris said:
not really interested in comp but

mathematics and finance seems to be good

BTW, when they say recommended 3u maths (I only did 2u maths) will they re-teach the 3u componens as if some fo the students havent learnt it b4?

In other words when they teach the 3u stuf to 2u student, will the 2u student find it hard?
Well in terms of the Business side, there is no 3 unit maths involved in it, and very little 2 unit maths either. So basically if you have done 2 unit maths or even general maths, then it will be fine. You just need to do Statistics and some finance calculations in the Business side of things, depending on which major your going to do obviously.

If you are considering the BMathsFinance course then for the maths side of it, it is recommended to have Ext 1 maths (though you can still get in without it). The Mathematics 1 subject teaches you basically the Ext 1 stuff and some Ext 2 stuff and Mathematics 2 subject teaches you basically the harder Ext 2 stuff and some extra stuff. If you didn't do Ext 1 or Ext 2 maths at school then you will most likely struggle with the maths side of this course (unless you put a lot of time and effort into the maths subjects). UTS run Maths Ext 1 bridging courses in Feb (after you get your offer) for students like yourself who haven't done Maths Ext 1 in HS.

As Beaky mentioned, there are other courses besides BMathsFinance to get into the BBus. I'd recommend BMathsFinance is you are considering Finance as one of your BBus majors, otherwise it will be a waste of time. Also your maths electives will not carry over if you transfer, unless you elect to say do a maths sub-major in the BBus (which will obviously restrict you do only doing 1 major in the BBus, such as Finance, instead of doign 2 majors like some people do, though if you are really set on doing just 1 major, then thats fine).

Most of the combined degree courses with BBus have a lower UAI than the stand alone BBus degree, with the exception of the BBus/LLB obviously. One of them is the BBus/BComp as Beaky mentioned. If you are considering doing the IT major as your second major in the BBus, then you will not lose any subjects in your first year as you can transfer all your core BBus subjects and your IT major subjects from BBusBComp over to the BBus (with a 1st major in a Business major and a 2nd major in IT). It seems like you're not interested in computing though, which is fine.

The BBus/BEngineering degree also has a lower UAI and so do the combined BBus/BScience ones (of which there are 3 variations I think). In my opinion, it is probably easier to transfer from a combined degree in BBus to the single degree in BBus than transfer from BMathsFinance, however I know of people who have transferred into BBus from that course (though that was when Internal Course Transfers still existed).

As I said, its pretty much up to you. All is not lost. Please still put the single BBus degree as your 1st preference if you really want to do it, as the UAI may drop. It used to be only 88 a few years ago and it was 91 not long ago either, so you may get lucky, so just be careful. Other than that, pick one of the combined degrees and BMathFinance as your other choices. I just thought I'd warn you about the maths side of that course though. Remember they look at your uni marks + UAI when you transfer, so you might not do as well in your maths subjects if you're not as strong in maths, so most people will go for a slighly easier degree so they get better marks.

As I said, up to you! I'd still put BBus as your 1st preference though. Good luck!

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
I don't think it's been mentioned on this page, but UTS doesn't offer fee paying places to local students.

Just thought you should know. :)

Dave85

HSC
Tabris said:
My UAI is 91.35

however, the cut-off for B Business is 92.05

I really want to do this course and i am considering to go as FEE rather than HECS

on uAC $17 000/ year

if i pay upfront $17, 000 a year do i get a 25% discount?
well this time last yr i got my uai of 92.05 and the prevoius yr cut off was 93-point something and i thought i'd miss out 4 sure. turns out i just scraped in; so u never know. hav u considered doing it @ kuringai? the campus also has nursing and teaching so there will be plenty of eye candy. otherwise b bus/computers is a good alternative u shud look into

Tabris

HSC
Is it possible to get transfer from B Bus at kuringai to City campus? It only needs 87

Anyway, i read it in the UTS handbook (one gave out on open day) that it provides free buses that connects its campuses, can someone fill me in more on this?

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
The transfer is possible, however you will most likely have to go through UAC again. I'm not sure if you can internal course transfer from Kuring-gai to City campus (someone else asked that in another thread, so we're waiting for that outcome).

There is a free shuttle bus that goes from the UTS Tower Building to the Kuring-gai campus. It seems to take almost an hour on that bus, so some would say a train to Lindfield and walking is sometimes faster! The bus is a free for anyone who has a UTS student ID card, but the bus can only hold around 20 or so people. The last bus goes around 5pm ish though, so if you have any late classes then you won't have the bus.

Taramisu

just out of curiosity,is it true that their are mostly asians in the business/computing course? (i am one myself)

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
It's fairly mixed. I'd say about half. The class that I taught in the semester that just finished was fairly mixed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)