Need More Yeats (1 Viewer)

Mendo

HSC
yeats questions

first time poster that would be me. Yeah, some questions would really help considering this is such a crappy module- however i do like yeats. One question we were given to practice on was this:

In regard to The Second Coming- "This is Yeats' most powerful poem: its effect is cummulative, it states a situation and envisages its development, its essence is dramatic as well as philosophical"
Discuss this statement.

Except that this was given to us by a teacher that used to do the old course. I don't know if it helps at all. In a way its good in that you can discuss it and incorporate integrity and duribility. hope its of some help.

Mendo

HSC
yeats questions

One question we were given to practice on was this:

In regard to The Second Coming- "This is Yeats' most powerful poem: its effect is cummulative, it states a situation and envisages its development, its essence is dramatic as well as philosophical"
Discuss this statement.

Except that this was given to us by a teacher that used to do the old course. I don't know if it helps at all. In a way its good in that you can discuss it and incorporate integrity and duribility. hope its of some help.

Mendo

HSC
woops

apologies for posting that twice, silly me.

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
Critical study questions are general and not specific to Yeats. Therefore you should just practise past critical study questions on Poetry. If you can answer those sufficiently i doubt youll have a problem with the HSC question.

Mendo

HSC
Hey. well if our gayass teacher had given our trial question papers back then I could write it up. I'll have a try:

Imagine you are a visiting lecturer to a local library.
You are to write a speech exploring the way perspectives give values to texts.
blah blah something something

Well, it was something like that. It seemed pretty easy- just basically our assessment again, but given that we had a STUPID teacher marking it I got a shit mark.

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
don't try and do the (2001?) poetry mod b q though about 'personal voice', it's irrelevant

just do things basically talking about the reception in a variety on contexts, in a variety of text types.

Mendo

HSC
Just and after thought

Yeah, you do just have to talk about its reception in different contexts, and outline the perspectives of that context.
Feminist is a good one to do (especially if your female)
Maxists for those politically inclined
Psychoanalytical- this is a pretty good one, especially for the study of poets.
Post modern, modern, or romanticist. Yeats was supposedly a romanticist however his later work was far more modernist. He wasn't around in the post modern era so thats a really good one for contexts as the post modernist would have such a different take on such trivialities as "love".
You probably know most of that but I thought I may as well say something, can't leave old Dabbu out in the cold. I hope it helped somewhat :(

Sammy_b

HSC
My trial question was:

Whilst Yeats' poetry is shaped by his personal, political and literary values and context, the power of his poetry lies in the fact that he makes a strong connection with contemporary readers from a variety of contexts.

Explore this statement in relation to at least 3 poems from your prescribed texts.

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
i can't remember our exact trial question but it was something like "compose a feature article based around the statement that 'a text can never stand still'".

regarding what mendo said i honestly think a post-modern reading for yeats isn't worth the hassle. its a pain in the ass, especially to find reception for it and you shouldn't do it for the sake of sounding smart/wordly

Mendo

HSC
Hey. well post modernism isn't really a hassle at all. I do think its the easiest- basically the whole damn english syllabus is a big post modernist extravagansa. The 'ism' issue is a postmodern issue, so its not too hard.

_dies_

University Member
HSC
Well our teacher hasnt taught us Marxist or femminist or post modernist ideas or readings of the text. All i have are critics opinions of Yets, that i cant work out how to fit into the categories. I am now freaking out with such little time left and so little resources. The internet doesnt have anything really, just overviews Uni courses that contain the studies of Yeats and postmodernism etc. But anyways, Yeats as a poet was good. Yeats to study = crap.

And how do femminist readings view Yeats' poems?

Best of luck to you all!!

Jooce-ca

yeats poems?

you don't need to have certain articles that apply interpretations to Yeats poems, and this will save you a lot of time researching
just be able to apply one broad interpretation to each poem (in case they specify)

what's a good interpretation for Byzantium ? because i really don't want to do a p-mod interpretation...

cubsy8831

Yeats

Hey i am currently doing my HSC and i think my class here in Orange is the only class doing WB Yeats for english! does anyone have any notes i could borrow? If so please sendd to mjparmenter@optusnet.com thanks.

Damien Szy

HSC
Feminist reading

Well from what I've been taught a feminist could look at Yeats texts and say that he itemises women. In when you are aold a male persona speculates on a female reminiscing about the way men loved her as if that was the only important thing in her life. In Wild Swans the sawns go pair in pair, lover by lover as if the female swans are dependant on the males. taking a holistic view of Yeats and not just including single poems is the key, thats why its a CRITICAL STUDY. Try to make a generalisation about most of his poetry that back it up with quotes or ideas from his texts. Don't just limit yourself to the six BOS poems, try to read teh others so you can add something as a side note such as: In Leda and the Swan the portrayal of Leda almost liking the rape in the latter part of the poem is derogratory towards women or how in among school children the nuns and mothers are reduced to poet technique

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)