• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Need info about ANU National Scholarship!! (1 Viewer)

I am here!

HSC
N/A
Evilo said:
Although humphdogg would know more than me about this (so humph please also respond lol)....
i) Summer School, Winter School (if its available at your faculty), i know a chick who does 2nd year courses in her 1st year, and 3rd year courses in her second. I've done winter school courses, and its great.
ii) i think so. there are different uni depending on which course you are doing.Have a look at anu website
ii) I know a bloke (very well) from NUS who is doing the opposite (currently studies here). If you need any questions about the uni. But yeah its a diff situation cos hes nus on exchange here, not visa versa.
What does the guy in iii) do? Science, like you?

It's just that I know NUS is damn purty for maths / science etc, but I'm doing an Arts degree - I'm not sure what their pedigree in philosophy and the ilk is like. But I am looking to dive into a some of M / S, so it may all sort itself out

Anyway, it's hardly all about the studies - Singapore will be an awesome base from which to check out bits and pieces of Asia, and er the city itself is about a 100x bigger than the biggest town within 100 kilometres of me (pop. wise) - which is downright :cool:

Does he mention Singapore much - I mean, as a place to live is it all 'nanny state' or a bit cooler than the ads say?

Evilo

HSC
i think hes doing actuarial and computer science.
Ill ask him the other questions when he next comes on msn.
Cheers. EvilO

Evilo

HSC
I am here! said:
What does the guy in iii) do? Science, like you?
EvilO's NUS Mate said:
actuarial /econs
I am here! said:
It's just that I know NUS is damn purty for maths / science etc, but I'm doing an Arts degree - <snip> whats it like? <snip>
EvilO's NUS Mate said:
I am here! said:
Does he mention Singapore much - I mean, as a place to live is it all 'nanny state' or a bit cooler than the ads say?
EvilO's NUS Mate said:
its alright, its good if hes not bee n here
he's very talkative today, sorry :(

humphdogg

HSC
Uni Grad
I am here! said:
I might as well take you up on this! Here goes:

i) This may seem silly, but is there anyway to zoom through the degree in just 3 / 3.5 years? Or would it be a little too hardcore?
this is definitely possible for PhB science, so i presume it would be too for PhB arts. but remember, as the last year of your degree is your honours year, you'll have to have done all 6 of your ASCs before you start your honours year.

i did a second year maths course in 1st semester, and a third year maths course in 2nd semester. this year (my second year of PhB), for 1st semester i'll be doing
one first year maths course
one second year maths course
two third year maths courses

and for 2nd semester i'll be doing
two second year maths courses

so basically what i'm trying to show is that it's definitely possible to accelerate your study. i did one ASC last year, and i'm doing another one over the next month in the summer session, so if i did one in each semester, one during winter session, one during next year's summer session, then i'd have done 6 ASCs by next year. which means i could do honours in 2009, and thus graduate at the end of my third year. not sure if i'll do this, however, because...

I am here! said:
ii) Are exchange trips possible? I mean, would there be someone at the other end willing to do the nonsense associated with the ASCs etc? Has anybody you known done it?
...i want to go on exchange in 1st semester of 2009. looking at somewhere classy, like berkeley or something. not sure yet though.

you don't necessarily have to do an ASC every semester, so if you go on exchange a semester and you don't do an ASC then, you just have to make it up some other time (do 2 ASCs in one semester, or do one over one of the holiday sessions).

some unis that ANU offers exchanges to do have ASCs available. however, it depends heavily on the uni that you apply for and the area in which you want to do the ASC. the best way to work out whether it can be done is to talk to your mentor, to the head of PhB arts, and to people at the info nights for going on exchange.

i don't know anyone personally who does PhB and has gone on exchange, but i know for sure that it has been done before.

I am here! said:
iii) A stab in the dark, but do you know anyone who has done the NUS (National University of Singapore) joint program thing? Just, you know, looking for the inside goss on whether it is worth it or not!

Thanks again!
a couple of my friends were originally enrolled in the NUS, though most have pulled out. word on the street is that it's really not all it's cracked up to be... apparently the longest any PhB student from ANU doing the NUS program has actually stayed in singapore is 6 months (they're supposed to be there for 18 months, for both semesters of their second year, and first semester of third year).
then again, i know a guy from johns who does NUS and is going there next year, and i imagine he'll love it - he's malaysian and has family in singapore.
for the most part, however, all i really ever hear about NUS is of people who were originally going to do it but pulled out before they had to go to singapore...

Evilo

HSC
look at that detailed responce, gee humphdog looks after you guys :p lol

humphdogg

HSC
Uni Grad
well someone's got to plug the PhB :p it is after all australia's most prestigious science or arts degree.

I am here!

HSC
N/A
humphdogg said:
this is definitely possible for PhB science, so i presume it would be too for PhB arts. but remember, as the last year of your degree is your honours year, you'll have to have done all 6 of your ASCs before you start your honours year.

i did a second year maths course in 1st semester, and a third year maths course in 2nd semester. this year (my second year of PhB), for 1st semester i'll be doing
one first year maths course
one second year maths course

and for 2nd semester i'll be doing
two second year maths courses

so basically what i'm trying to show is that it's definitely possible to accelerate your study. i did one ASC last year, and i'm doing another one over the next month in the summer session, so if i did one in each semester, one during winter session, one during next year's summer session, then i'd have done 6 ASCs by next year. which means i could do honours in 2009, and thus graduate at the end of my third year. not sure if i'll do this, however, because...

...i want to go on exchange in 1st semester of 2009. looking at somewhere classy, like berkeley or something. not sure yet though.

you don't necessarily have to do an ASC every semester, so if you go on exchange a semester and you don't do an ASC then, you just have to make it up some other time (do 2 ASCs in one semester, or do one over one of the holiday sessions).

some unis that ANU offers exchanges to do have ASCs available. however, it depends heavily on the uni that you apply for and the area in which you want to do the ASC. the best way to work out whether it can be done is to talk to your mentor, to the head of PhB arts, and to people at the info nights for going on exchange.

i don't know anyone personally who does PhB and has gone on exchange, but i know for sure that it has been done before.

a couple of my friends were originally enrolled in the NUS, though most have pulled out. word on the street is that it's really not all it's cracked up to be... apparently the longest any PhB student from ANU doing the NUS program has actually stayed in singapore is 6 months (they're supposed to be there for 18 months, for both semesters of their second year, and first semester of third year).
then again, i know a guy from johns who does NUS and is going there next year, and i imagine he'll love it - he's malaysian and has family in singapore.
for the most part, however, all i really ever hear about NUS is of people who were originally going to do it but pulled out before they had to go to singapore...
Wow, cool - I didn't quite think it'd be that easy (or, at least as easy as you're making it out to be).

A Q: are ASCs marked far more stringently than normal courses? I understand that a higher std is expected - but do they require bundles and bundles of extra work, or just a little bit of polish etc?

Yeah, it was the likes of Berkeley (along with the other UC campuses, and McGill, Toronto etc) that were hooking me onto the idea. Chances are I'll probably add to the NUS bail outs line - oh well!

Thanks heaps - and good luck w- the Berkeley idea!

humphdogg

HSC
Uni Grad
I am here! said:
Wow, cool - I didn't quite think it'd be that easy (or, at least as easy as you're making it out to be).

A Q: are ASCs marked far more stringently than normal courses? I understand that a higher std is expected - but do they require bundles and bundles of extra work, or just a little bit of polish etc?
i'm not sure how stringently they're marked. i got 90 for mine last semester, which was about what i thought it deserved. your supervisor will know that you're a PhB student and have to maintain an HD average, so they'll try to make sure that you're working at an HD level on the topic that you're researching.
and the workload for an ASC varies greatly. if you're doing a standalone, the expected amount of time you spend on it should be around 120 hours or so. your supervisor will tell you how much research he wants you to do and how much he wants you to write.

for my maths ASCs, generally the main challenge is actually understanding the content - a lot of maths ASCs cover topics that are really more at graduate level than undergraduate level, so there's lots of headbashing until you finally understand what you're researching. after that, writing the paper isn't really too hard...

I am here! said:
Yeah, it was the likes of Berkeley (along with the other UC campuses, and McGill, Toronto etc) that were hooking me onto the idea. Chances are I'll probably add to the NUS bail outs line - oh well!

Thanks heaps - and good luck w- the Berkeley idea!
lolz, you're interested in pretty much exactly the same unis as i am...

Evilo

HSC
humphdogg said:
lolz, you're interested in pretty much exactly the same unis as i am...
Perhaps you are the same person? or identicle lost twins? Being (mentally) identicle means you would probably end up running into each other some time. :)

I am here!

HSC
N/A
Humphdogg - re: PhB, do I get to have a chat to someone before I pick my courses? Did you (if you can peel back the years)?

I mean, I can't really tell how defined the boundaries are - the handbook goes 'blah blah 96 units from blah blah... The Assistant Dean (Honours and PhB) can approve variations to the above pattern where appropriate.'

So yeah, ambiguous! Do you recommend making an appointment with someone?

Thanks again! :cool:

humphdogg

HSC
Uni Grad
I am here! said:
Humphdogg - re: PhB, do I get to have a chat to someone before I pick my courses? Did you (if you can peel back the years)?

I mean, I can't really tell how defined the boundaries are - the handbook goes 'blah blah 96 units from blah blah... The Assistant Dean (Honours and PhB) can approve variations to the above pattern where appropriate.'

So yeah, ambiguous! Do you recommend making an appointment with someone?

Thanks again! :cool:
lolz, it was only a year ago...

there are plenty of people to talk to about choosing subjects. in fact, you're pretty much obliged to talk to the head of PhB to choose your subjects on enrolment day. before that day, however, we had an introductory info session for PhB, where the heads of each department in the science faculty basically talked us through what subjects to do in first year etc. pretty sure it's the same for the arts faculty for PhB arts too.

so you don't really need to make an appointment, as they'll give you chances to work it out beforehand. i do recommend reading the handbook in advance though and making a shortlist of all the subjects that you're interested in taking. you could also plug them in to the timetable generator thingy for 2008 on the ANU students page to work out what time all your classes would be on (try to avoid 8am/9am classes - sleep is crucial!).

I am here!

HSC
N/A
Shit, didn't see this 'til now - thanks! And yes, anything before 10am = zombie, I'll be getting onto that timetable thing quick-smart.

Eriny

Awesome Member
HSC
I saw the timetable thing for the classes I want to do this semester and according to that I'll be able to have 2 days off (but start at 9am all the other days, which doesn't worry me a whole lot), but I don't know when the tutes are...

jas0nt

HSC
N/A
Eriny said:
I saw the timetable thing for the classes I want to do this semester and according to that I'll be able to have 2 days off (but start at 9am all the other days, which doesn't worry me a whole lot), but I don't know when the tutes are...
the bigger your unit = the more tutes you have to choose = the more flexible.

check the context sheet for the number of enrolments for the semester. i remember micro 1 with 700 kids had a tute going every hour on monday/friday.

Evilo

HSC
Jason is right - psyc1004 had 3 hour labs running from 9am-9pm every day of the week.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)