Need help (1 Viewer)

jonhysmitw2

HSC
So I got my maths result back (1st internal 25% weighting) and it was 70% I ranked 40th out of 80. I'm aiming for a band 6 and 90 atar for my course. Is this still possible or is it over?

user1818

HSC
So I got my maths result back (1st internal 25% weighting) and it was 70% I ranked 40th out of 80. I'm aiming for a band 6 and 90 atar for my course. Is this still possible or is it over?
Very much possible don't give up just focus on learning from your mistakes and getting your rank up, maybe ask your teacher for help on what to improve in, any difficult questions and going through the paper together

jonhysmitw2

HSC
Very much possible don't give up just focus on learning from your mistakes and getting your rank up, maybe ask your teacher for help on what to improve in, any difficult questions and going through the paper together
What rank would be required for a band 6 at a top 100 school do you think?

user1818

HSC
What rank would be required for a band 6 at a top 100 school do you think?
Honestly depends on your school, my cohort performed really well and i don't go to a selective school but my group got 90+ atars : D, try and aim for atleast top 20 and even 10 if possible that will secure you a pretty good spot but its pretty dependant on your cohort, are you doing well on your other subjects btw?

jonhysmitw2

HSC
Honestly depends on your school, my cohort performed really well and i don't go to a selective school but my group got 90+ atars : D, try and aim for atleast top 20 and even 10 if possible that will secure you a pretty good spot but its pretty dependant on your cohort, are you doing well on your other subjects btw?
Im top 5 in all my other subjects which is why I'm worried lol

user1818

HSC
by my group i meant my group of friends not the whole cohort lmao, also your ranks fluncuate later in the year because people get burnt out or don't try too hard so don't beat yourself up over your first assessment you'll be fine

user1818

HSC
Im top 5 in all my other subjects which is why I'm worried lol
thats very impressive, if you keep maintaining that a 90+ atar should be really achievable, i can't say about band 6 in math but if you keep putting effort im sure you'll get there or atleast a band 4/5, dont give up. Also are your subjects good scaling like sciences and stuff?

jonhysmitw2

HSC
thats very impressive, if you keep maintaining that a 90+ atar should be really achievable, i can't say about band 6 in math but if you keep putting effort im sure you'll get there or atleast a band 4/5, dont give up. Also are your subjects good scaling like sciences and stuff?
I do chem geo and business

user1818

HSC
I do chem geo and business
You'll be fine just try and maintain your top 5s because its only the start of the year and later on people slack off a bit, dont give up on the math you can do it

raspberriesandpears

HSC
oh posts like this are my time to shine. i was averaging an 80% in maths advanced for the whole year (it's my worst subject by far). screwed up the trial beyond belief - 53%. the hsc rolled around, i was ranked in the bottom half of my cohort. actually put some work in for the first time in my life and pulled a 95% on the hsc exam, ended up with a band 6 and 91 overall.

you can redeem yourself and get a band six. trust me :)

user1818

HSC
oh posts like this are my time to shine. i was averaging an 80% in maths advanced for the whole year (it's my worst subject by far). screwed up the trial beyond belief - 53%. the hsc rolled around, i was ranked in the bottom half of my cohort. actually put some work in for the first time in my life and pulled a 95% on the hsc exam, ended up with a band 6 and 91 overall.

Omg congrats girl your hardwork paid off : D Also good luck for your hsc next year you will do amazing🙌

raspberriesandpears

HSC
thank you sm 😭

i was in a rlly bad headspace for the trial and i was honestly just hoping for a low band five - i thought the exam went well but not that well!! i genuinely it was a mistake for like an hour!

hoping for an all rounder next year so fingers crossed!! i hope you're pleased with your results <333

jonhysmitw2

HSC

by 'putting in some work' what do u mean? Can you explain exactly what you did to study step by step? ty

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Go HSCNinja atar calc and type your school in to estimate how many band 6's they get in certain subjects usually. This way you can estimate what rank you need to be generally to get a band 6. E.g. my old school would get around 30-35 band 6's in advanced maths so I would aim for a minimum of top 40 in the subject.

jonhysmitw2

HSC
Go HSCNinja atar calc and type your school in to estimate how many band 6's they get in certain subjects usually. This way you can estimate what rank you need to be generally to get a band 6. E.g. my old school would get around 30-35 band 6's in advanced maths so I would aim for a minimum of top 40 in the subject.
Only 3 people got a band 6 this year for maths advanced
:(

raspberriesandpears

HSC
by 'putting in some work' what do u mean? Can you explain exactly what you did to study step by step? ty
oh sure!! the two main problems with my trial were:

not understanding the content (sequences and series looking at you): this was less of a problem for me so pretty easy to rectify. i did a lot of textbook questions. i pretty much set like, bare minimum an hour a week and ran through questions, then pulled together anything i didn't understand and went through it with my maths teacher, or a friend of mine in the year above. this was less of my problem - if you need more specific guidance, i might not be able to provide it to you. but don't agonise through questions you don't understand, asking for help is good! so the next problem:

silly mistakes/getting overwhelmed: practice papers are a godsend. using the hsc practice papers and marking guidelines are genuinely invaluable. picking up where you have to write formulae, how much working you have to show, how much you have to write for explain questions. all of that can help you gain crucial marks.
take a deep breath between each question if you feel yourself making silly mistakes or getting overwhelmed, especially after hard ones. a limiting sum question is in a completely different ballgame than the difficult optimisation question you dealt with last. don't let yourself lose confidence.
finally, keep remembering the marks you gained! in your last exam, you gained 70 marks (or whatever the equivalent percentage on a lower total value test was). that's really good, and it's something to work on. don't get stuck in the trap of thinking you've lost 30 - those are just marks you didn't get, but you will next time.

i hope this helps, feel free to ask me more specific questions :) but it is possible. i am a living example!

user1818

HSC
thank you sm 😭

i was in a rlly bad headspace for the trial and i was honestly just hoping for a low band five - i thought the exam went well but not that well!! i genuinely it was a mistake for like an hour!

hoping for an all rounder next year so fingers crossed!! i hope you're pleased with your results <333
My friend was exactly like you she wasn’t in the best mental spot for HSC and had to sit out on some of her exams and get estimated scores but she got HSC all rounder at the end!! 🥳 Just gotta power through a year and you’ll get there and be done with nesa and the hsc😎

raspberriesandpears

HSC
My friend was exactly like you she wasn’t in the best mental spot for HSC and had to sit out on some of her exams and get estimated scores but she got HSC all rounder at the end!! 🥳 Just gotta power through a year and you’ll get there and be done with nesa and the hsc😎
thank you for your faith in me!!! i'm giving it my best shot so i suppose we'll see how it goes - i might have to let you know this time next year!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)