Need help... (1 Viewer)

Stateranklol

HSC
at school we havent learnt calculus yet but i know how to use it, so say i have a curve sketching question or something am i allowed to use calculus which we havent learnt yet, but is in the 3u syllabus to help me do the question? im just not sure and dont want marks taken off if im not allowed to use it

si2136

HSC
N/A
at school we havent learnt calculus yet but i know how to use it, so say i have a curve sketching question or something am i allowed to use calculus which we havent learnt yet, but is in the 3u syllabus to help me do the question? im just not sure and dont want marks taken off if im not allowed to use it
Calculus is in 3U

Ask your teacher before hand, every teacher is different. The head teacher for the maths faculty at my school doesn't allow it, while my teacher does for class tests.

Flop21

HSC
I'd say no. They want you to show you can do it without calculus, which you should be able to do.

the_matrix

HSC
According to my head teacher, HSC external exams require you to use formulae/methods taught in that course only. I.e. assuming you're in year 10, you must use year 10 methods:

- Axis of symmetry
- Intercepts
- Vertex
- Origin/centre of curve (for circle)
- etc.

Green Yoda

Hi Φ
HSC
Just draw it normally lol..differential calculus would help you find min and max points and points of inflexion. Which for basic graphs is not needed..you can do it for the lols. But in yr 10 for tests its would be plentiful if you just did:
-x-intercepts, y-intercepts
-horizontal, vertical and oblique asymptotes
-see if the function is odd, even or neither
-if its even then find line of symmetry

si2136

HSC
N/A
According to previous posts, OP is studying 3U now, and his/her issue was that they haven't learnt Calculus yet (Most school don't learn it term 1), and was it possible to use it, since many people self study 3U or go tutoring and they have probs done Calculus now.

Green Yoda

Hi Φ
HSC
According to previous posts, OP is studying 3U now, and his/her issue was that they haven't learnt Calculus yet (Most school don't learn it term 1), and was it possible to use it, since many people self study 3U or go tutoring and they have probs done Calculus now.
For harder graphs..if it helps to use calculus to see where the curve goes then defs use it but for like drawing basic curves..no point.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)