Need help with decision making (1 Viewer)

MysticalElement

Troll Slayer
HSC
Hello,
I'm confused over which course to make my first preference, Advanced Science at uWs or Med Science At usyd, i got a uai of 93.55 so i'm eligible to do either, i dunno which to pick because with UWS, well its UWS, and i would need to maintain a grade point average of 5 (how hard is that mark to attain?) and with the usyd course i dont know whether it even seems worth while doing because i would imagine 99% of the students will try to get into post grad medicine which i would be also planning to do....so im really confused over which course would be my best option......thanks for any advice...

Miss Winey

HSC
Hey Mystical Element,

Congratulations on finishing the HSC and getting such fantastic marks!!
Just letting you know, the dilemma you are currently facing is VERY NORMAL and many people are probably going through the same thing.

Here are my tips to help you make a good decision

1. Do something you like - obviously you want to do something science related. this is great! Just letting you know, getting into grad medicine doesn't matter WHERE you come from to do that

2. How far are you willing to travel? and how accessible is the place? science is a heavy degree. ie lots of hours and lots of work to do. So ease to getting there and going home is important.
there are lots of trains into the city, and not so much going out west. you can walk to sydney uni from redfern station and i'm not sure how accessible the other places are

3. the vibe/atmosphere/opportunities you may get there - each uni is different. they have a different vibe for different people. so go and check out each of the campuses and decide where you want to spend the next 4 years day and night at.
Look at the outside-of-the-course stuff, like clubs and societies, student mentoring programs, international exchange opportunities, social activities, special interest groups, sporting/media/gaming opportunities that might also interest you.
Getting into medicine depends alot also on what you do OUTSIDE the classroom. This includes reaching out in the community and so on.

I'm the 2009 president of usyd young vinnies, perhaps if you come to sydney uni, you can do volunteer work with me :)

4. Reputation - if you're into that kind of thing. I'm not. but some are.

5. the general look and feel of the place.
don't forget you will spend FOUR YEARS+ of your life there. so it better be some place you like going to.

On you comment about people who study med science. it is NOT TRUE that 99% of the people where want to get into med afterwards.
but it is a high percentage. After med sci, there are plenty of other opportunities, such as medical research, dentistry, masters into other health sciences (like physio, radiography, optom etc), PhD in science research and so on.

Good luck!
and don't stress!

MysticalElement

Troll Slayer
HSC
thanks for tht great reply, what are the majors you can do for med sci, i would also like to do radiography but the time to subit the questionnaire is up, and i didnt know you would have to do one...so what can i major in, if i do med sci at usyd..?

Miss Winey

HSC

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)