Need Help With Chem Assessment Task --> history and impact on society on a few things (1 Viewer)

onesikgypo

HSC
hey, ive got an assessment task coming up and im having a bit of trouble finding some information to talk about.

The two things i need to talk about are:

1) History of scientific understanding about making an acid from an acidic oxide (Sulfur Dioxide + Oxygen + Water --> Sulfuric Acid) & metal displacement reactions, on the past present and future.

2) Assess the impact of metal displacement reactions OR making an acid on society or the environemnt, including future concerns.

I think on both, i could alternatively instead of talking about making the acid itself, talk about the acid i made, which is sulfuric acid, and maybe talk about the activity series for the metal displacement reactions, but either way im not entirely sure what to say...

Any help would be appreciated

tristambrown

HSC
onesikgypo said:
hey, ive got an assessment task coming up and im having a bit of trouble finding some information to talk about.

The two things i need to talk about are:

1) History of scientific understanding about making an acid from an acidic oxide (Sulfur Dioxide + Oxygen + Water --> Sulfuric Acid) & metal displacement reactions, on the past present and future.

S(s) + O2(g) ---> SO2 (g)
SO2 (g) + H20(l) --> H2SO3 (Aq) sulfurous acid
2H2SO3 (aq)+ O2(g) ---catalyst---> H2SO4 (aq) Sulfuric acid

History of understanding - re lavoisier's definition (who thought all acids had O in them) through arrhenius's definiton (acids contain ionisable H+) & maybe through to bronstead & lowry - acid is proton donor

2) Assess the impact of metal displacement reactions on society or the environemnt, including future concerns.

displacement reactions - maybe talk about batteries /galvanic cells & their impact on society ... (portable & disposable power ! [which also led to davy's breaking of lavoisier's definition, and to davy isolating many elements previously not done])

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)