** Need help! Stuggling over Units/Scaling!! ** (1 Viewer)

ShowStopper

HSC
Quick question, i have 11 units and the 11th unit is Maths extension one which is my lowest mark out all of units, considering they only calculate the ATAR with only 10 units, does that mark out the extesion one unit for me??

PLEASE HELP IM CONFUSED!

ShowStopper

HSC
please help, wasting time not studying!!!

Last edited:

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
Quick question, i have 11 units and the 11th unit is Maths extension one which is my lowest mark out all of units, considering they only calculate the ATAR with only 10 units, does that mark out the extesion one unit for me??

PLEASE HELP IM CONFUSED!
That is correct, if you have chosen Maths 3 unit and you are sure that that's your worst subject, then they won't count the extension unit.

ShowStopper

HSC
100% sure??
does that mean its like pointless studying it, even if i go really good in the hsc exam?

Finx

HSC
100% sure??
does that mean its like pointless studying it, even if i go really good in the hsc exam?
If you're positive its your worst subject, then yes, it's pointless to put effort into it for the HSC exams.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
100% sure??
Depends on what rank/mark gaps you have within your school. But if you go really good in the HSC your mark will be averaged (with your school mark) and you'll get a decent mark.

And seeing as you want to do engineering at UNSW, i suggest that you not fail 3U maths.

ShowStopper

HSC
i have a crap rank of 13/18 in my school and many people under me have worse marks under 40%, im roughly around 43%. Worth not sutdying for or nah?, sorry for the stress i just want to ensure this!

Michaelmoo

cbff...
HSC
Try and spend at least some time on it. Like try to past the HSC (cos u wana do engineering).

But like they said don't spend tooo much time on it. Focus on ur other 10 units. Get your 90 ATAR

Good luck.

Last edited:

ShowStopper

HSC
Try and spend at least some time on it. Like try to past the HSC (cos u wana do engineering).

But like they said don't spend tooo much time on it. Focus on ur other 2 units. Get you 90 ATAR

Good luck.
thankss man, yeah its beneficial if i pass right, because they view each of your HSC marks and sorta make a decision from there?
I'm not going to study as much and im sorta ready for it..

Michaelmoo

cbff...
HSC
All I've got left to say is:

FEERRNAAAANDOOOOOOOOO WHAT A BEAUTY!!!!!

hecheeseman

HSC
you have to decided what the study will do for your marks, ie. no point studying for 8 hours for an extra 3% but maths online is really good for last minute study things. I would say you should do at least 1 past paper and learn everything you dont know in that but then its probably not worth much more.

good luck

emilyo

apathetic member
HSC
seriously if i were you i would be studying like every unit is going to count!! how can you be sure it wont slip into your atar and then you will definately regret not studying! You have a week and that is alot of time if you use it wisely and 3 units good scaling might cause it to over take another unit. also you dont really know how your group might perform. With only 11 units neglecting one would be pretty foolish but that is just my 2 cents worth lol.

oasfree

HSC
N/A
100% sure??
Yes and no here!

Yes: you would waste time on it if it is your worst subject in the sense that it won't add into your final score.

No: you may need 3U to enter some Uni courses even though you did not get the mark from this extension unit. Some good Uni courses are only offered to students who had 3U math at HSC level. Also it can be very tricky. You have got an offer of a course. On the day you come to Uni to actually enroll on first year subjects, you will pick some core subjects and some elective subjects. Suddenly the lecturer(s) for some subjects tell you that you are not allowed to enroll on their subjects because you did not do 3U math! So you are limited in your choices at Uni even though you have got an offer. In this case the offer turns sour!

This is why it 's good to contact the University you want to enter, look for course requirements and even try to ask the department you want to study to confirm. It sounds a bit overkilling but it pays off. Each University department has its own things that you would want to know in advance! You local school counsellor may not know the detail (for each University department!)

ShowStopper

HSC
thanks guys, im still going to focus on it, its not like im gonna give up, i'm quite alright at 3u we just have very hard exams at my school, but seeing as i have 11 units and it isnt my best subject in terms of mark and rank and the fact that im top 5 in english adv i think ill be alright for my required ATAR? what'd you think?

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Sorry for the delayed reply, i was locked out of BoS and actually got some work done XD

thanks guys, im still going to focus on it, its not like im gonna give up, i'm quite alright at 3u we just have very hard exams at my school, but seeing as i have 11 units and it isnt my best subject in terms of mark and rank and the fact that im top 5 in english adv i think ill be alright for my required ATAR? what'd you think?
I echo Michaelmoo's sentiments. We can't give you a proper estimate unless you give us all your ranks and your school rank :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)