Need help on dropping a subject... (1 Viewer)

soulful entity

HSC
so far i have two subjects in mind that i want to drop but the thing is i don't know which one HELP!!
so far i'm doing general maths and currently ranked 48 out of 86 which is really not that great and havent been passing any of my exams except one in the last term last year 30\36 (sigh) but because of stress related issues i just couldnt concentrate i guess that is reflected from my marks... and my other subject Pdhpe which i'm passing (by passing i mean just getting over 50%) which i'm ranked 14 out of 33 and my nxt`asssesment is worth 15% and generals maths is worth 20% of the next assesment i know iv'e probably ruined my life but hopefully by dropping one subject i can lessen the stress and hopefully gain at least a reasonable uai.

Any help is greatly appreciated :worried:

morganforrest

HSC
I'd say drop General Maths...it scales rubbish and if you're not doing well I think cutting your losses is a good idea.
PDHPE scales quite well, however it is quite a difficult course and the external exam is definitely one of the harder ones. You need to be prepared for this and put in the effort.

And a word of consolation. Your life most definitely is not ruined! The HSC is not the be all and end all. Secondly, it sounds as though you still have a few assessments left, plus the trials to jump ur rank a little. Perform well in the externals and there's no reason why u can't attain a more than respectable UAI.

Stay focused on ur goal and don't let life get you down.

Cam-C

HSC
i'll agree, general maths won't scale as well as PDHPE
so it might be best to focus ur efforts on ur other subjects.
if you've still got a few assessments to go then you can still get sum good marks.

and at the end of the day, the HSC isn't the end of the world.
that's probably the most important thing to remember.

do your best and that way there's no reason to have any regrets at the end :)

Loza33

HSC
I heard PDHPE scales really badly..... unless you get high.... same with general... but general is easier to get band 6 in..... i think...

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
the scaling for PD/H/PE and general math are quite similar. As said by others, The marks are easier to get in general math if you're persistent and study more then in PD/H/PE, which apparently is harder. It depends on what your averges are in both subjects. Whichever subject your're doing better in and know you can keep going well in once one subject is dropped is the one you should choose. Have a look at the subject scaling list

http://www.boredofstudies.org/scaledmeans.php

This might give you a better idea. I dropped from adv math to general because of the time consumption but i find general okay because i practice the math alot.

Oh and with general math, if you manage to get and 85+ mark for your hsc, scaling will not effect you immensely. I did shit to begin with, so my internals aren't that great, 79% at the moment but i hope i'll be able to get a 90% in my trials and the hsc so that'll work out in the end.

Talk to your teachers, people who did subjects similar to yours and ask them how they did....search this website too....it's quite helpful if you look for the right things.

Goodluck!:)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)