• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Need help on documentation part of my project (1 Viewer)

mengqing

our school is doing a Who Wants To Be A Millionaire type of game as our major project. I finished the programming and coding part, but stuck on the documentation as im not quite sure what the questions ask.

A report that includes:
a description of the problem and the specifications for itssolution
any assumptions/limitations
a representation of the solution using a recognized design tool
your initial screen design/s on paper
test data used and the results from testing the solution
the source code in hard copy

im stuck on assumptions/ limitations, what do i have to include in this part for this particular project? and also representation of the solution using a recognized design tool, what can i write in that part??? can some1 plz help...thx

mengqing

and also is there a easy way of creating a shaped window other than a square or a rectangle in VB? i know it's possible with the use of APIs but from what i have seen they need alot of coding...

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by mengqing
and also is there a easy way of creating a shaped window other than a square or a rectangle in VB? i know it's possible with the use of APIs but from what i have seen they need alot of coding...

I'm pretty sure i remember you can set the transparent color key value in VB6.

hornetfig

HSC
Hi Winston et al (why I'm posting here I don't know, but I digress)

A window must be rectangular. That said, it doesn't have to appear rectangular. But you can't do it using VB's builtin libraries (in fact, I doubt any RTL does; certainly VCL doesn't, .Net I don't know). You need to use the Create[xxx]Rgn() and SetWindowRegion() API functions. Here's an example, (from a quick google search) of creating a polygonal form using CreatePolygonRgn():

http://www.codeguru.com/vb/gen/vb_forms/article.php/c3041/

Complex "shaped" forms that some apps use comes from defining multiple regions from the standard Create[xxx]Rgn() functions and combining them with CombineRgn()

Here's another example:
http://www.vb-faq.com/Articles/Pharis/transparentform.asp

You can't, incidentally, make a form transparent in the same way a label can be made transparent.

Winston

HSC
Haha oh hello ! :D... everyone be thankful he's here, we got the 2nd in the state SDD student here :).

Cutieangel

I noticed that most people didn't answer your doc questions.
For assumption and limitation, I am guessing it's what's the most it can do... e.g. ask a certain number of questions, didn't have enough time so the final result will not be the best possible solution, the questions will not be on a certain topic... i.e. can't choose topic... stuff like that, the limits of the system... a lot like constraints and boundaries....
In relation to design tools, it means dataflow diagrams, context diagrams, structural diagrams, IPO charts... etc... for my major project, I had to do all of these... and it was a pain... but they are not actuallly that hard...

HSC
yeh all that stuff pisses me off aswell but with the limitations u were right about the number of questions and stuff

another thing u could right about how to fix this is to have user input like add questions... but only wrte as a suggestion dont try and do it

raymes

HSC
check out this example with regards to the transparent window background. this uses a different method to what hornetfig described, using the SetLayeredWindowAttributes api, allowing you to easily set the transparent regions of the form through a bitmap image. unfortunately this api only works with the winXP/2000 kernels :p

http://planetsourcecode.com/vb/scripts/ShowCode.asp?txtCodeId=47693&lngWId=1

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)