need help on CompEng/Commerce !!! (1 Viewer)

thunda

HSC
redslert said:
Again, you provided too little information to give direct answer.
Tell us what your degree is and majors... AND any other details...

Sorry, i forgot to mention that i intend to do B Engineering (petroleum)/B Commerce. And as i mentioned above, I will be doing statistics (under the engineering component) in MATH2899...furthermore, i have already completed math1131.

So my question is, if i do both math 1131 and 2899, will i get exemtions for qma & qmb?

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
I believe you will because all the topics mentioned in the handbook for MATH2899 are topics taught in QMB.
You are definitly exempted for QMA if you take MATH1x31. QMB is exempted most likely as well, but to be 100% certain you can always email FCE.
MATH2899 excluded some of the courses listed in the bcom/sci handbook, so it's like saying it can be replaced by...

thunda

HSC
redslert said:
I believe you will because all the topics mentioned in the handbook for MATH2899 are topics taught in QMB.
You are definitly exempted for QMA if you take MATH1x31. QMB is exempted most likely as well, but to be 100% certain you can always email FCE.
MATH2899 excluded some of the courses listed in the bcom/sci handbook, so it's like saying it can be replaced by...
its amazing how a 3 UOC subject can gain me exemptions from a 6 UOC commerce subject....if anything this demonstrates how engineering (and science in general) is twice as difficult as commerce. :D

gman03

HSC
thunda said:
its amazing how a 3 UOC subject can gain me exemptions from a 6 UOC commerce subject....if anything this demonstrates how engineering (and science in general) is twice as difficult as commerce. :D
is more like MATH 1B + Stats => QMB

so is 9uoc for 6uoc.

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
thunda said:
oh is it only 3UOC?!

hmm, then i think you better check with faculty because it does state "At least 6 units of credit of statistics selected from:..."

thunda

HSC
redslert said:
oh is it only 3UOC?!

hmm, then i think you better check with faculty because it does state "At least 6 units of credit of statistics selected from:..."
ok, this might be a dumb question, but for my degree who do i contact to ask about these exemptions- is it the commerce faculty?

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
thunda said:
ok, this might be a dumb question, but for my degree who do i contact to ask about these exemptions- is it the commerce faculty?
For QMB, you ask commerce/economics office.
If they say you can't, then just do one of the 6UOC stats courses and get exempted for the 3UOC from your COMP part.

ace

is retired
HSC
my program is software engineering/commerce

http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/programs/2006/3653.html
http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/seng/Programs/BE-BCom-generic/

For me anyways:
6 units of credit of first year mathematics courses as required for the Software Engineering program and at least 6 units of credit in statistics and mathematics chosen from ECON1203, MATH1041, MATH1141, MATH1081, MATH2400, MATH2859, MATH2801, MATH2901, MATH2841, or alternative statistics and mathematics courses approved by the program advisor.

I take this line "6 units of credit in statistics and mathematics" as mean a total of 6, not 6 each. And the director seems to have taken it as that definition also in his page he made.

since i've done 1081,2400,2859,1131 i've done more than enough maths for qma+qmb by now

thunda

HSC
ace said:
since i've done 1081,2400,2859,1131 i've done more than enough maths for qma+qmb by now
so looking at your program,is it that you have done 3UOC of statistics (under MATH2859) and got an exemption for a 6UOC QMB course?

if this is the case, then they should have no problems giving me exemptions for QMB if i do math 2899.

ymj

HSC
okay this thread is getting way too confusing for me :/

any1 else that is doing CompEng/Commerce or know some1 is doing the course?

anyway i think i should email FCE and CSE for more advice?

thanks for all the help :D

Last edited:

thunda

HSC
ymj said:
okay this thread is getting way too confusing for me :/

any1 else that is doing CompEng/Commerce or know some1 is doing the course?

anyway i think i should email FCE and CSE for more advice?

thanks for all the help :D
Lol sorry for hijacking your thread... :D

ace

is retired
HSC
Thunda,

Reading my post above its 6uoc of stats and math. Not any stats course exempts qmb

So i've done 2859(which is 3 uoc) and also done another course (lets pick 1081 in this case, which is 6uoc). Now that is at least 6uoc (more so in fact) combined in order to waive the qmb stuff (At least according to my program)

Individual requirements for a program may vary, I think checking with fce would be your best bet.

Cheers

HSC
I'm a B comp/B Comm student! in my first year too!!!

hmm...yea im still stuck on that problem...i think im just gonna drop the 3unit and go for the big STATS
ill goto a consultation sometime during info day

oh yea..and what about the electives? the CSE electives?

ace

is retired
HSC
ZoDiAc KnIgHt said:
I'm a B comp/B Comm student! in my first year too!!!

hmm...yea im still stuck on that problem...i think im just gonna drop the 3unit and go for the big STATS
ill goto a consultation sometime during info day

oh yea..and what about the electives? the CSE electives?
What about CSE electives?

If your wondering what is running this year, browse these links (and the handbook of course for pre/co-req info)
http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~nss/sitar/classes/COMP_S1.html
http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~nss/sitar/classes/COMP_S2.html

ymj

HSC
yo happy new year fellas,
now according to the cse site
http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/undergrad/programs/COMPB13715.html

for s1 2006 i need to do:

Comp2011 - 6
Comp2121 - 6 (which replaced 2021 and harder?)
Elec2031 - 3
Math2510 - 3
Math2859 - 3
CSE Elective - 3 (need more info :S)
Total: 24 UOC

6 subjects lol...damn thats going to be tough, since i heard that 3 unit subjects are pain in the ass...

so what you think of theses courses, are they all pretty tough? any comments are welcome

cheers
ymj

ace

is retired
HSC
comp2011 walk in the park (assuming you haven't forgotten how to program over the break :p )
math2859, ok for about 9 wks, then annoying for the rest

not sure about the rest, have fun

Last edited:

chris_c28

Random Member
HSC
ymj said:
yo happy new year fellas,
now according to the cse site
http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/undergrad/programs/COMPB13715.html

for s1 2006 i need to do:

Comp2011 - 6
Comp2121 - 6 (which replaced 2021 and harder?)
Elec2031 - 3
Math2510 - 3
Math2859 - 3
CSE Elective - 3 (need more info :S)
Total: 24 UOC

6 subjects lol...damn thats going to be tough, since i heard that 3 unit subjects are pain in the ass...

so what you think of theses courses, are they all pretty tough? any comments are welcome

cheers
ymj
I had 6 courses last session too. It was tough but manageable (I have little life lol). I'll have to do it again this year, with Acct as one of them. I'm gonna be sooooooo dead.
MATH2859 is fun if you actually put some effort into it. I'll see you in 2711/2011 and 2121 I think.

rand0m3r

HSC
i thought u were doing seng/biomed... why are u doing acct and geneds?

chris_c28

Random Member
HSC
rand0m3r said:
i thought u were doing seng/biomed... why are u doing acct and geneds?
Well, after a year of serious thought, I figured Biomed isn't exactly what I really want to do. I couldn't keep my interest high enough for the course, but still managed to do decently (yet I'm one of those kind of students who's able to force themselves to study anything). I'm looking for a course that complements my SENG major well and at the same time give me wider career options.

I'm not implying that Biomed can't give me that, so if it is all that you ever want to do, go ahead because it is a great course too.

ymj

HSC
okay some questions about enrolling:

what does this mean:
<table cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr><td class="bsktData" align="right" width="12%">Wed</td> <td class="bsktData" align="right" width="28%">9:00 am -</td> <td class="bsktData" align="right" width="23%">10:00 am </td> <td class="bsktData" align="left"> (Odd Week)</td> </tr> </tbody> </table> KENS

odd weeks? usually it says weekly, somebody please clarify.

and for the CSE Elective, i have to choose a GenEd right? any GenEd?

thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)