Need Help :O Staying in 2u? (1 Viewer)

Burrows

HSC
Well, I dont know what i should do...

Just got marks back from half-yearlies and after these two assessment tasks im sitting on 60% for Mathematics.

I Studied sooooooooo much for the half yearlies and still barely passed maths, while in the other subjects i was easily achieving band 6's.

I was just wondering if it was too late to drop, or what my options are?

thanks in advance,

braintic

HSC
N/A
Well, I dont know what i should do...

Just got marks back from half-yearlies and after these two assessment tasks im sitting on 60% for Mathematics.

I Studied sooooooooo much for the half yearlies and still barely passed maths, while in the other subjects i was easily achieving band 6's.

I was just wondering if it was too late to drop, or what my options are?

thanks in advance,
I'm not sure of the precise date, but as long as you have 12 units (assuming you want an ATAR) you can drop a subject up to very late in the year. But if you need to pick up a replacement subject, then you have a problem.

Burrows

HSC
Sorry forgot to mention i do 11 units and i mean drop down to general, would i be able to catch up? Or should i just power through mathematics and keep trying? got no motivation...

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
1. Your school might make significantly harder 2U exams than others, so don't worry /too/ much about your numerical marks. Only worry about your ranks.

2. You still have at least 50% of assessments left, and that can dramatically change your marks and your ranks. It's way more important to have a better rank than mark (won't get into the whole moderation thing, but you can probably research it yourself)

3. I know what you mean by studying heaps and not getting the outcomes you wanted. I think a lot of it is about studying the RIGHT things and studying them efficiently. I studied way more for MX2 than MX1 (in my half yearlies) and I know I got crushed in MX2 and did much better in MX1 even though I haven't gotten any results back. It was because in the MX2 exam, I freaked out massively and my brain derped, so exam conditions are definitely a huge factor for when you're considering your results. Just study smarter and more efficiently for your exams next time. Also, are you studying the right things as well?

4. You can drop to general, but you're going to need to re-learn half the syllabus. I recommend you talk to your math teacher or head of maths to see what they have to say about this. They can probably give you better advice as they know previous cohorts and they're probably familiar with your situation.

Best of luck!

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
Sorry forgot to mention i do 11 units and i mean drop down to general, would i be able to catch up? Or should i just power through mathematics and keep trying? got no motivation...
well tbh, that's a bit of a problem if you lack motivation...set a goal (i.e. I want X HSC mark for maths, these are the ranks I need, and these are the internal assessment marks I need to achieve to get that goal, etc.) and find it in yourself to get that drive.

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
My internal ranking gaps were shocking. Like 15% from 1st and 2nd.

But yea, I set myself a goal to get above roughly 53-54/70 to drag up my internal mark, required to get a E4.

braintic

HSC
N/A
I'm not sure of the precise date, but as long as you have 12 units (assuming you want an ATAR) you can drop a subject up to very late in the year. But if you need to pick up a replacement subject, then you have a problem.
The first issue is whether you be allowed to drop to General.

Your ranking and school would be useful in deciding how well you are going. Also you ATAR aim, and how you are going in other subjects.
And your feeling about your aptitude for mathematical concepts.

Burrows

HSC
I know i am capable with mathematics, yr7-10 I was top and comfortably getting in the 90s, Its just in exam conditions i freak out alot and when i get stuck i lose all my confidence, I mean i forgot how to factorise during this exam; my brain just lost it! I was so nervous and stressed and thats my only setback; I know the concepts and im confident doing past exams and testing myself, so i know i have the ability its just in exam conditions i am let down, I'll get my marks back soon but im i believe im ranked in the 20s/50 so i dont know. I 'm in the top 3 for the rest of my subjects and hoping for a 95+ ATAR.

Thanks for the replies everyone, i'll speak to my math teacher and tutor after my exams finish, im most likely going to stay as there is still around 70% worth of exams to go but im definitely low on confidence.

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
What textbook are you using? Maths In Focus?? Maybe that's why..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)