• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Need Feedback on Frankenstein quotes/information (1 Viewer)

manwiththeskill

HSC
Does this information look good to you guys?

Frankenstein quotes:

Ignoring rhythms of nature reveals how humans can be out of synch with world-

“Summer months passed...never did the fields bestow a more beautiful harvest...eyes were insensible to the charms of nature...” imagery of nature is full, fecund and rich, contrasts pale world of fevered experimentation. Warns that humans should not disconnect from their relationship with nature as this dulls/hardens judgement and empathy and eventually destroys them. Cautions us to be wary of goals driven by ego rather than thoughtful evaluation, scientific progression must act on clear judgement and awareness of moral/ethical issues or the world will suffer.

Obsessively focussed on development of the creature-

“New species will bless me as its creator...many excellent and happy nature will owe their being to me...pour a torrent of light into the dark world...” Repetition of “me”, religious and self-important connotations such as “bless me”, “owes their being”, “light into the dark world”. Frankenstein represents man blind due to obsession and egotism- this misuse of knowledge compromises ethical and moral boundaries. Shelley prompts the reader to examine Frank’s egotism and evaluate the consequences, and examine that unthoughtful choices can affect humanity.

Frankenstein has recovered, reconnection with nature with the help of Cleveral-

“By very slow degrees...I recovered...the young buds were shooting forth from trees...the seasons contributed greatly to my convalescence” Spiritual mood is evoked by
the imagery associated with rebirth associated with “young buds”. Reminds the reader how dislocated Frankenstein was from the forces that shape the world. Frankenstein’s research challenged and perverted the existing natural process and as a result, set in motion tragic consequences. Shelley cautions humanity to carefully consider the implications of its creative genius, if not morally or ethically questioned, it can have dire implications.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)