need chemistry help :/ (1 Viewer)

Zeref

Stare into my eyes.
HSC
Ok here's the thing, we've had this substitute teacher for chemistry this term and she's really bad. can't teach and can't understand with her accent. consequently everyone pretty much bludged in every chemistry lesson we had and it has occurred to me that everyone is screwed (me especially) except for the people who get tutoring. can i assume you guys finished metals? any tips on how to grind on this topic? i plan to read it on conquering chem and go over some notes.

we had some chemistry tests (chemical earth) and i performed really badly because i didn't study enough and i lack really basic chemistry knowledge. could someone link me to some sites that could help me or explain what a net ionic equation is and how they get the +'s and -'s. also how do you know which reaction occurs to find the product if you are only given the reactant?

EDIT: oh and when do i use the valency thing?

puddingopp

Unpossible
HSC
do you have chemistry textbooks from school? If you do, it would really help if you try reading through them. It's really hard to find stuff on the internet that directly fits the school syllabus. Better off, if you read the textbook and do some independent learning. Or else, you should consider start tutoring! :D Don't give up! Chemistry is may be hard at first, but once you get the hang of it, it's not difficult at all! :) you still have time to work on it. Since it's holidays now, go to your local library and borrow some preliminary chemistry study guides! They will help you heaps!

Kurosaki

True Fail Kid
HSC
Just borrow books from local library and do the exercises.
You could perhaps ask some other school teachers for help, from experience they should be more than willing to help you.

puddingopp

Unpossible
HSC
You could perhaps ask some other school teachers for help, from experience they should be more than willing to help you.
+1 :)
Yeah ask some other teachers... they are happy to help.. teachers love enthusiastic students :p

Zeref

Stare into my eyes.
HSC
do you have chemistry textbooks from school? If you do, it would really help if you try reading through them. It's really hard to find stuff on the internet that directly fits the school syllabus. Better off, if you read the textbook and do some independent learning. Or else, you should consider start tutoring! :D Don't give up! Chemistry is may be hard at first, but once you get the hang of it, it's not difficult at all! :) you still have time to work on it. Since it's holidays now, go to your local library and borrow some preliminary chemistry study guides! They will help you heaps!

well i have the conquering chemistry textbook and chemistry in context in pdf. well i don't really want to go to tutoring since I have tutoring 3 out of the 5 weekdays of school -_-"

lawl what am i going to tell them? "i bludged every single chemistry period when we got this new substitute teacher and im screwed"

Last edited:

Indoz

HSC
To be honest, even if you bludge, you should've be able to catch up at home
And c'mon, its chemical earth, its all revision from last year

Kurosaki

True Fail Kid
HSC
well i have the conquering chemistry textbook and chemistry in context in pdf. well i don't really want to go to tutoring since I have tutoring 3 out of the 5 weekdays of school -_-"

lawl what am i going to tell them? "i bludged every single chemistry period when we got this new substitute teacher and im screwed"
Honesty is the best policy, and to be brutally honest (not having a go at you or anything, so please don't be offended, take this personally etc), you should have been able to catch up by yourself in the holidays. Besides, teachers are an invaluable resource- use them, its their duty to teach you, no? But they can't help you if you're unwilling to admit your faults and seek to correct them.
(I say again, I am not having a go at you lol)

Last edited:

SuchSmallHands

HSC
Ok here's the thing, we've had this substitute teacher for chemistry this term and she's really bad. can't teach and can't understand with her accent. consequently everyone pretty much bludged in every chemistry lesson we had and it has occurred to me that everyone is screwed (me especially) except for the people who get tutoring. can i assume you guys finished metals? any tips on how to grind on this topic? i plan to read it on conquering chem and go over some notes.

we had some chemistry tests (chemical earth) and i performed really badly because i didn't study enough and i lack really basic chemistry knowledge. could someone link me to some sites that could help me or explain what a net ionic equation is and how they get the +'s and -'s. also how do you know which reaction occurs to find the product if you are only given the reactant?

Ah shit, my chemistry teacher was stoked that we finished the chemical earth in time to have a lesson at the end of the term to go over everything.

Smilelivelife

HSC
N/A

Hey
At my school we have these booklets called 'Keep it Simple' and they are honestly an absolute lifesaver. They go through everything from the syllabus and explain it reasonably well and in ways you can understand. They also have questions to test yourself on. Also we are only half-way through the 'Metals ' topic.
Hope i helped

Basic Chemisty, chemical reactions etc
http://web1.muirfield-h.schools.nsw.edu.au/mahara/artefact/file/download.php?file=22089&view=5727

The Chemical Earth
-Type in Keep it Simple Chemistry Chemical Earth into google. The first lik that comes up is a bored of studies link called
Chem1.Chemical Earth.qxd - Bored of Studies- click on this and you can download the notes.

Metals
http://s3.amazonaws.com/engrade-myfiles/4011000697703619/Chem2.Metals.pdf

I have also found it helpful to do past SC questions online, just to revise past concepts .
http://www4.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/course/school-certificate/science/

Goodluck

Last edited:

Zeref

Stare into my eyes.
HSC
Honesty is the best policy, and to be brutally honest (not having a go at you or anything, so please don't be offended, take this personally etc), you should have been able to catch up by yourself in the holidays. Besides, teachers are an invaluable resource- use them, its their duty to teach you, no? But they can't help you if you're unwilling to admit your faults and seek to correct them.
(I say again, I am not having a go at you lol)
Yes you are correct and ik what u mean. Defs not gunna waste my time again.

lol why did u edit? i saw the questions this morning and i decided to do them later tonight. nek minnit :p

Ah shit, my chemistry teacher was stoked that we finished the chemical earth in time to have a lesson at the end of the term to go over everything.
LOLOLOLOL it took us 5-6 weeks give or take for chemical earth. it was really quick o_O well i guess when our normal teacher comes back and expects us as a class to have some decent knowledge about metals, he's gunna be in for a shock :L

Hey
At my school we have these booklets called 'Keep it Simple' and they are honestly an absolute lifesaver. They go through everything from the syllabus and explain it reasonably well and in ways you can understand. They also have questions to test yourself on. Also we are only half-way through the 'Metals ' topic.
Hope i helped

http://web1.muirfield-h.schools.nsw.edu.au/mahara/artefact/file/download.php?file=22089&view=5727

The Chemical Earth
-Type in Keep it Simple Chemistry Chemical Earth into google. The first lik that comes up is a bored of studies link called
Chem1.Chemical Earth.qxd - Bored of Studies- click on this and you can download the notes.

Metals

I have also found it helpful to do past SC questions online, just to revise past concepts .

Goodluck
many thanks to you for taking your time and copying these links for me :)

EDIT: speaking of notes and whatnot, at the resource section i found a very good chemical earth summary and it was uploaded by "K". does anyone know the source/author of the person who made it or maybe know where i can download other topics for it?

Last edited:

SuchSmallHands

HSC
Yes you are correct and ik what u mean. Defs not gunna waste my time again.

lol why did u edit? i saw the questions this morning and i decided to do them later tonight. nek minnit :p

LOLOLOLOL it took us 5-6 weeks give or take for chemical earth. it was really quick o_O well i guess when our normal teacher comes back and expects us as a class to have some decent knowledge about metals, he's gunna be in for a shock :L

many thanks to you for taking your time and copying these links for me :)

EDIT: speaking of notes and whatnot, at the resource section i found a very good chemical earth summary and it was uploaded by "K". does anyone know the source/author of the person who made it or maybe know where i can download other topics for it?
My teacher is just about the sweetest man on earth and goes through the syllabus really thoroughly trying to make sure we all get it (in fairness to him, about a third of the class has dropped already because they struggled with chemical earth).

hit patel

HSC
Uni Grad
Hey
Hope i helped

The Chemical Earth

Metals

Goodluck
+1

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)