Need advice: should I drop my computer science major (1 Viewer)

mamehapumpkin

HSC
I'm currently doing a science degree at USYD majoring in comp sci and biology.
I've found that my main interest is in biology, and if I find that I enjoy this enough I am also considering an honours year.

I did comp science initially because I had some interest in related things beforehand, e.g. web design and development. But a lot of units don't relate to web design/development. I don't really think I'll have an interest in a career relating to comp sci, again it's more of a hobby but it's not really my strength.

So for a major in comp sci I need 4 senior units. There are 2 that I think I will enjoy, especially since they're more related to web design / e-business stuff. But there's 2 that I'm doing for the sake of a major. One seem easy enough, but the other looks very difficult. It is a continuation of another unit I'm currently doing. This unit I did not enjoy, at least the latter parts I found difficult but most of all, boring. The continuation unit is going to be all that difficult and boring stuff and basically I have zero interest and there's a chance I will fail the unit.

So the problem is, I'm not really keen or interested in a few senior units that I need for my comp science major and I'm not sure if I should drop it and fill it with some other bio units that I am actually interested in. I feel like I should just do the comp sci units to get the major, because I've already done a bunch of junior and intermediate units, and a comp science major will look good for my degree. Then again, what's it worth if my skills in the area are average at best?

So I guess these are my options:

- just do the senior units and have both bio and comp sci major
- change to just biology major, pick only a few interesting comp sci units for fun, and get an IT minor

I am pretty sure I can alternatively have a minor in IT. Obviously I don't think this looks as good as a comp sci major. But then again, a lot of units that I did related to comp sci were not programming heavy, so they are actually more related to IT.

What do you think I should do?

Master Singleton

The Night Owl
HSC
Uni Grad
OP if i'm not too late in providing you with a response then here is my take on your problem:

I'll strongly recommend you to not drop your computer science major as in the current workforce there is a huge deficit in terms of Computer Science Uni graduates when compared to the amount of Computer Science related jobs avalable. Also Computer Science has excellent future Job prosepects compared to Biology future job prospects and also a senior role in a Computer Science related job pays you more than a senior role in a Biology related job.

Check these articles out: http://www.itworld.com/article/2945674/careers/computer-science-students-are-in-demand-and-they-know-it.html and http://joboutlook.gov.au/occupation.aspx?code=2345&search=&Tab=prospects and http://theconversation.com/a-bubble-about-to-burst-why-we-dont-need-more-maths-and-science-graduates-15007

Hope this helps :smile:

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)