Need advice on school changing (1 Viewer)

HSC
Ive just started yr 11 in a school thats ranked in the high 100's(didnt make the top 200 last yr though) and in the most unconvenient of times have been given an offer to go to fort street high school within this week; i am so split between wether to go or not. Fort st is about 1 hr 15 mins from my house by train but is a great school; the school i currently attend is close to home and it is easy for me to stand out (i.e i will have good ranks) but isnt as great as fort street...... WHAT SHOULD I DO????
i also have a couple of questions:
1. will my marks be hampered due to the poor performance at other students at my current school?
2. i will obviously have a lower rank at fort st; is this going to affect me badly?
3. to any one who goes there... wats it like? are the trachers good? are there alot of distractions in class (because there are at my school)?

thanks in advance for any help

`kyttie

rawr.
HSC
N/A
Hmm, well from what I understand, as long as you perform very well, the school you're in shouldn't affect you. Scaling is designed to be as fair as possible.

So if you're at the closer-to-home/not-so-great school, as long as you do well and maintain very high ranks, then no, everyone else's potentially-bad marks won't affect you. In fact, you'll pull your cohort up.

Meanwhile, if you're at Fort Street.. despite your rankings being lower, that school will actually be pushed upwards. So, because it's selective, it'll generally mark more harshly compared to other schools [found out by comparing raw school assessment marks vs. how the cohort performed in HSC in comparison to others].

Personally, I'd suggest going to Fort Street. The competitive environment will help keep you on track and the school's very likely to be scaled up. Obviously never rely on scaling alone, you -do- actually need to work to get good marks!

As an example though, I was at a selective school in the top 10 in NSW. Our raw marks were always pretty low - eg. I was ranked first in Adv Eng with raw scores between 60-70. However, on the results that came back to us, my "assessment mark" was 95, so those 60s/70s were pushed way up because our school had always been so harsh in marking.

Anyhow wow, hope that makes any sense. ;) I guess in the end, just making sure you work as hard as possible and play fair will guarantee good results.

riya03

HSC
Just a quick post...if I were you, I would never miss a chance on attending a selective school, and that too Fort Street High which is academically inclined! So, I suggest go for it...even though it may be far in terms of distance, but it'll be worth it :)

LordPc

HSC
Go to the selective school. As already said, if you maintain your effort you should get the same marks. But just being around smart people who work harder than normal students will itself make you do more work and put in more effort, its just the better atmosphere. so definately go selective

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)