Neck pain while studying. (1 Viewer)

hell1001

HSC
So I have preliminarys this week and next week, and of course I've been doing some frantic last minute studying. Only problem with that has been an onslaught of neck pain during and after studying, seriously sapping whatever morale I've got left for yr 11. I'm hoping it'll go away during the holidays, but when year 12 starts I really, really hope it doesnt come back.

Question is, how do I get rid of it? Has anyone else had any similar experiences? How do I prevent this from becoming chronic?

HSC
well prelims aren't that important to begin with and its better to study more calmly at this stage as it wouldn't be so straining.

Just relax i guess :)

HSC
Breath... relax... prelims aren't that important. Maybe you should see your doctor, who may be able to recommend some sort of neck exercise in the evenings or refer you to some kind of massage person.. hope you get better soon! Goodluck!!

hell1001

HSC
Thanks, Ive been going to physio like the last week and virtually living off panadol. It says on the packet not to take for more than 48 hrs straight, so i'm guessing a week isnt what they had in mind:uhoh:

I'm just hoping it gets better. Next year isn't going to be fun if it's still there. I'm just desperate for a soultion.

zazzy1234

Banned
HSC
Stuff prlim u go back 2 zeeeeeeeeeeeeeero even if u have beeeeeeeeeen getting 100 in everything!!!!!!!!!!!111

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
If you have neck pain I suggest you invest in a neck massager (electronic or something you can get so someone else can rub your neck... whatever floats your boat).

I can't believe you'd have neck pains. I just get headaches after doing lots and lots.

Dragonmaster262

Unorthodox top student
HSC
I had neck pains but because I slept in a distorted position and not because I continually studied. Just what kind of neck pain do you have? Have you pulled a muscle. If you have then all you have to do is massage your neck with two of your fingers in a circular position while holding down the place of greatest pain. If you do this precisely then it won't hurt. Keep doing this and it will go away.

hell1001

HSC
For example, atm it's at the very top of the neck, virutally the base of the skull on the left and right sides. The pain does travel when it wants to though, mostly through the shoulders.

It's not like i continually study though, certainly not as much as some people. It may be just because my body isnt used to studying or something, idk

I will try your advice though. Rub it for how long?

electrolysis

congenital schmuck
HSC
You're probably sitting in a bad position, with your neck stretching down or something...

You could try sitting in different positions or adjust seat height (if you have one of those chairs) :)

exiting

HSC
Relax your **ssy flaps! It's only the preliminary course...

q3thefish

HSC
Stop punching your neck every time you get a question wrong and your neck will get back to 100%.

like srsly, chillax man - its prelims.

emmcyclopedia

HSC
Hi =]
I get neck and back pain sometimes. It's often due to posture, and inactivity (sounds like you've been slaving away at your books for long hours!)
Personally, I'd go for the natural approach. Here's some suggestions:

- Invest in a heat pack, either gel or rice filling. These can be bought from the chemist, and usually just heat up in the microwave for a couple of minutes. (avoid wheat packs if you can - as they get older, they can germinate in the bag). I use one when I'm studying. It just prevents the muscle from cramping

- Try getting a massage - Remedial or deep tissue is best. Therapeutic is pretty soft, doesn't normally do a lot for the muscle.

- Use a heat cream. I prefer goanna heat cream, but dencorub hot also works well.

- Make sure you have a good pillow, with neck support

- Ensure you've got a good intake of magnesium. This will help not only alleviate any muscle pain, but also ease any pre-exam nerves and give you a good nite sleep.
Talk to a naturopath/holistic physician, or see if you can take a magnesium biocomplex supplement. "Nutrimedicine" makes a good one - practitioner dispensing only though.

- If you're into it, chiropractic is something which I've always gotten a lot out of. It's important you go to someone with a lot of experience, and who people recommend - there are a lot of crap chiro's. But it's a fantastic therapy which I have found to be better than physio, when combined with regular massage. If the vertebrae in your neck are out of place, no amount of pain relief will fix it.
Some people are against it, but as someone who has been seeing a chiropractor since around the age of about 9, i found its helped me.

Stephie-Rae

HSC
Hey. I have a bad back and neck, which causes a great deal of discomfort while studying for extended periods of time. The big thing is be conscious of how you're sitting, just try and find a position that puts as little strain of the area that's getting painful as possible, investing in a good desk chair (if you don't already have one) is also very worth it. Move around and stretch a lot! Try to move and stretch while studying, and get up and walk around the room regularly. Heat packs are a good idea and can help a lot as well. If it keeps up i would see a chiropractor (i wouldn't of made it through the HSC without mine). Good luck =)

hell1001

HSC
Hmm... chiropractor's not such a bad idea... I might try that.
No doubt its down to bad posture, but you kind of generally have bad posture when studying, you know? Can't keep your head balanced and straight and look down and write at the same time.

So are we talking a postition that takes strain off the neck? i.e. either sitting up ramrod straight or slumping with head in hands?

LEEESHA

HSC
Unfortunately I had chronic neck and back pain during the Trial HSC so it really affected my motivation to study.

I see my chiropractor every 6 weeks so i highly recommend it; he/she will be able to give you tips according to your needs and what not. Having breaks between studying helps alot; such as lying down, or grabbing something to eat... short walks are good as well!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)