• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

nazi flag (1 Viewer)

tattoodguy

there are some calls for the nazi flag to banned in light of the central coast couples refusal to remove it from their property.

Whats wrong with the nazi flag? its on their own private property so everyone should mind their own fucking businesss.

im the biggest supporter of anzacs ---- i dont think its disrespectful to the anzacs.

maybe it annnoys jews..........but who gives a shit.

if you want to throw up synagogues and ur little funny hats in our faces.........in our fucking country ---------we have a right to fly nazi flags..........

thats violating freedom of speeach/expression..by banning the flag........fucking helll....

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
yeah agreed. you cant ban it, thats just stupid

mizz_smee

has a fetish 4 handcuffs
HSC
it was in spencer street mannering park...
i think it was stupid... it was in there backyard and everything
people need to get a life and think of better things to complain about..
and it has nothing to do with anzacs really
anzacs = ww1
nazi = ww2

walrusbear

HSC
anzacs = propaganda

forget about them
they're people who died in a war
it's a nationalistic concept used to fire people up

Vangineer

Treehugger
HSC
NAZI flag??

those racist moffos must all be killed. They dont belong in this world! It should be banned, think WW2 and Hitler that fucked dickhead who goes killing all the jews, polish and other nations. U think its acceptable to have Neo-nazis promoting their racist shit today>>?

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
It did orginally have a good meaning.

http://history1900s.about.com/cs/swastika/a/swastikahistory.htm

The swastika is an extremely powerful symbol. Though the Nazis used it to murder millions of people, for centuries it had positive meanings. What is the history of the swastika? Does it now represent good or evil?

The Oldest Known Symbol

The swastika is an ancient symbol that has been used for over 3,000 years. (That even predates the ancient Egyptian symbol, the Ankh!) Artifacts such as pottery and coins from ancient Troy show that the swastika was a commonly used symbol as far back as 1000 BCE.

During the following thousand years, the image of the swastika was used by many cultures around the world, including in China, Japan, India, and southern Europe. By the Middle Ages, the swastika was a well known, if not commonly used, symbol but was called by many different names:

* China - wan
* England - fylfot
* Germany - Hakenkreuz
* Greece - tetraskelion and gammadion
* India - swastika

Though it is not known for exactly how long, Native Americans also have long used the symbol of the swastika.
Sponsored Links

The Original Meaning

The word "swastika" comes from the Sanskrit svastika - "su" meaning "good," "asti" meaning "to be," and "ka" as a suffix.

Until the Nazis used this symbol, the swastika was used by many cultures throughout the past 3,000 years to represent life, sun, power, strength, and good luck.

Even in the early twentieth century, the swastika was still a symbol with positive connotations. For instance, the swastika was a common decoration that often adorned cigarette cases, postcards, coins, and buildings. During World War I, the swastika could even be found on the shoulder patches of the American 45th Division and on the Finnish air force until after World War II.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Vangineer said:
NAZI flag??

those racist moffos must all be killed. They dont belong in this world! It should be banned, think WW2 and Hitler that fucked dickhead who goes killing all the jews, polish and other nations. U think its acceptable to have Neo-nazis promoting their racist shit today>>?
Easterners revile the hammer and sickle equally as much as the swastika. Regardless it's their own property and they can do what they like with it to (I feel no need to regurgitate first year torts crap here, since most people here know it :p).

Banning the Nazi flag is pointless, banning a symbol won't erase past atrocities.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
There's no need to go about banning everything. It may be socially frowned on and I certainly think it in poor taste but it's not harming anyone. There is no real need to infringe upon people's liberty with something like this.

walrusbear said:
anzacs = propaganda

forget about them
they're people who died in a war
it's a nationalistic concept used to fire people up
That's quite disrespectful. We should not forget about those who died fighting for our country.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
tattoodguy said:
maybe it annnoys jews..........but who gives a shit.
The Jews were not the only people to suffer under Hitler. Are you forgetting, people of Slavic decent, communists, homosexuals, mentally and/or physically disabled, Soviet Prisoners of War, Gypsies, Jehova's Witnesses, various Christian priests and assorted roles (for ideological reasons), those who formed unions, petty criminals, or simply those who threatened the Third Reich.

It annoys alot more than just those of Jewish decent.

In any case, it's distasteful, disrespectful, and overall a bad idea. Despite not being illegal, common courtesy to the community can help (and not make land values plummet around it).

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
rare thing when majority of posters agree with what tattoguy has to say....

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
Deus said:
It did orginally have a good meaning.

http://history1900s.about.com/cs/swastika/a/swastikahistory.htm

The swastika is an extremely powerful symbol. Though the Nazis used it to murder millions of people, for centuries it had positive meanings. What is the history of the swastika? Does it now represent good or evil?

The Oldest Known Symbol

The swastika is an ancient symbol that has been used for over 3,000 years. (That even predates the ancient Egyptian symbol, the Ankh!) Artifacts such as pottery and coins from ancient Troy show that the swastika was a commonly used symbol as far back as 1000 BCE.

During the following thousand years, the image of the swastika was used by many cultures around the world, including in China, Japan, India, and southern Europe. By the Middle Ages, the swastika was a well known, if not commonly used, symbol but was called by many different names:

* China - wan
* England - fylfot
* Germany - Hakenkreuz
* Greece - tetraskelion and gammadion
* India - swastika

Though it is not known for exactly how long, Native Americans also have long used the symbol of the swastika.
Sponsored Links

The Original Meaning

The word "swastika" comes from the Sanskrit svastika - "su" meaning "good," "asti" meaning "to be," and "ka" as a suffix.

Until the Nazis used this symbol, the swastika was used by many cultures throughout the past 3,000 years to represent life, sun, power, strength, and good luck.

Even in the early twentieth century, the swastika was still a symbol with positive connotations. For instance, the swastika was a common decoration that often adorned cigarette cases, postcards, coins, and buildings. During World War I, the swastika could even be found on the shoulder patches of the American 45th Division and on the Finnish air force until after World War II.
Thats not entirely accurate the Nazi Swatzstika has the ends pointing out in opposite fashion to the Buddhist one

rama_v

HSC
Yeah the Nazi Swastika is tilted at 45 degrees, and its reversed too I think. I do know that the swastika,at least in Hindiusim, is a common symbol often used in temples and on the front pages of books as it is associated withthe Goddess of Wisdom and knowledge.

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
Komaticom said:
If the symbol is banned Australia's not going to be receiving any new games where you get to shoot Nazi scum and carve up Nazi flags with ye knife... which may be a relief to Germans but it's sure gonna annoy everyone else.
I have a mixed German background i hate the Nazi's, plz dont sterotype

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
MoonlightSonata said:
There's no need to go about banning everything. It may be socially frowned on and I certainly think it in poor taste but it's not harming anyone. There is no real need to infringe upon people's liberty with something like this.

That's quite disrespectful. We should not forget about those who died fighting for our country.
I think the original ANZACS were more fighting for European freedom than that of Australia, although it could be debated that it would have spread outside of Europe, I don't think it was explicitly our freedom they were fighting for.

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
fuk yuo all who said they should take it down. people can put up any flag they want. yuyo little b1tchs just cant hadle life

walrusbear

HSC
withoutaface said:
I think the original ANZACS were more fighting for European freedom than that of Australia, although it could be debated that it would have spread outside of Europe, I don't think it was explicitly our freedom they were fighting for.
that's right
if anything, anzacs should be pitied more than deeply respected

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
You know I supposet that people have the right to put whatever flag they want in their yard but gosh they could be a little culturally literate.

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
walrusbear said:
that's right
if anything, anzacs should be pitied more than deeply respected
Yeah one of my relos got a VC for WW1, and its ashame he died so young when he wasnt even defending Australia

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)