Navigating the Global?!?!?! (1 Viewer)

flyonthewall

HSC
OK. Out of everyone studying Navigating the Global, how many people actually have a solid grasp on the concepts?

And if any of you do, feel like explaining it to me? In my trials - yes they were a while ago - I thought I had the right idea with my essay, but I got 14/25 so obviously not....

help?

happyhelen

HSC
Hi, We've just (just!) begun Navigating the Global (doing HSC in 2010), and our teacher recommened these notes to us from the CSU HSC Online website. Not sure if you've already seen them, if not, they might be helpful for you. All the best : ) HSC Online

waxtrel

HSC
Navigating the global is frustrating because its convoluted by postmodernism and doesnt have a central definable concept, like belonging say.

That said... it's essentially about how people respond to globalisation. Before, the course focused on people 'retreating' from it, but now it has expanded to include all kinds of associated issues/reactions/phenomena associated with globalisation. So like: absorbing it or perhaps fusing it with the local, creating a hybrid...

thats the generalest idea. to get into specifics, look closely at the texts themselves. remember to always consider them in the context of globalisation... how is the author offering insights into different responses and positioning us etc. they each guide you to different themes and concepts relevant to the nebulous 'navigating the global'

well thats how i see it anyway ;)

gl

Skinneth

Do The Whirlwind.
HSC
We've always approached the topic looking at the paradoxes and complexities of Navigating the Global, for example, responses involve areas of discussion:

- The paradox of 'no matter how far you run, you can't outrun the global.'
- The complex intertwining relationship with the local and the global
- The impact of globalisation on local culture, and how this impacts identity
- The issues of globalisation, i.e. communication, technology, economy, media
- The level of acceptance to the rise of monoculture - retreat from, wearily accept, embrace or challenge
- The impact of the role of art, that is the way a composer has used their texts to generate their point of view on navigating the global
- Postmodernism

Etc haha. :jump:

HSC
i'm so glad i dropped this...i had no idea at all

i know the kids who kept it had lots of trouble...we did Lost in Translation but related texts were hard... sorry i'm no help

GOOD LUCK

Misanthropist

HSC
Okay, so here's where I'm struggling: I understand the ideas of Navigating the Global and I believe I can identify the various concepts and how the texts exemplify different attitudes towards globalization.

However, my teacher has only recently highlighted the importance of the ways of thinking aspect in regards to my response.
And by recently, I mean yesterday. HSC EXAM IS TOMORROW!

So I went over it some more, and I feel like I can connect this to the module because it is after all, different ways of thinking...so the texts offer different ideas on globalization?

But...

He suggested that the inclusion of philosophers or theorists was important as were ideas like existentialism.
How relevant is this?
And also, he only yesterday told me that perhaps my related texts needed revising? HELLOOOO?!

I have the Black Books episode Blood and several artworks by Patricia Piccinini. I also prepared for the Castle however I hope I don't have to use it because I have been informed of the dangers of over-simplifying it.
Is prose necessary? Am I screwed without a novel or written supplementary as mine are all visual?
Please HELP!

If anyone responds to this I would be eternally greatful! I'm freaking out right now!
<3

Last edited:

canchimooru

HSC
aite, you need to chill. don't stress too much, it's the day before the exam.
1. find some theorists. you need em. get like at least 1 every 2 paragraphs (thats jus because it's the day before, otherwise i wouldve said 1-2 per para)
2. don't change relateds now, it's pointless. go with what you have. if you can, just make them a bit more sophisticated or whatever.
3. just memorise all that you have. look over the rubric. learn the key concepts and practice linking your essay to these concepts in case they pop up in the question.
4. don't forget your creative.

good luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)