Naturopathic Medicine? (1 Viewer)

jennylim

HSC
A 37-year-old man lost 11kg in 10 days and was "allowed to waste away" by a Sydney naturopath, Glebe Coroners Court heard today.

Vecko Krsteski, a security guard from Rockdale in Sydney's south, suffered a massive heart attack and renal failure on February 26, 2002, while under the care of Jeffery Dummett and his wife June at their business in Oatley.

The court heard Mr Krsteski suffered from chronic renal failure but had not been following his treatment of dialysis and medicine at St George hospital.

He began a live-in detoxification program with the Dummetts on February 13, lost 11kg in 10 days, and complained of being hungry to his parents and sister.

Detective Sergeant David Miller, from Hurstville police, said Mr Krsteski's chronic illness was known to the Dummetts but the program appeared to have little regard to his prescribed medical needs.

"Mr Krsteski was allowed to waste away and was not provided any professional traditional medical care when he complained of headaches, kidney pain, all over aches and pains, and pain and numbness to three fingers," Det Sgt Miller told the court.

AdvertisementAdvertisement
"I am of the opinion that the death of Vecko Krsteski at Oatley in February 2002 was a direct result of his undertaking a health program supervised by Jeffery Dummett and his wife June Dummett."

Jeffery Dummett claimed to be a leader in the field of naturopathy but several of his qualifications had been obtained from "dubious" operators and he had previously been convicted of false advertising, Det Sgt Miller said.

The inquest continues before Senior Deputy State Corner Jacqueline Milledge.
_______

personally i am very suspicious of quacks. then again i'm a rather strict adherent to western medicine and a bit of a pill popper. just posting this for discussion...

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
While Alternative Medicines are gaining ground in the wider (evidence rather than anecdotally based) medical community, it is events like these which really stall progress. Very sad to know that while some operators (here called "professional traditional medical [carers]") know what they're doing and achieve real, measurable results; others know jack and kill people.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Article said:
Jeffery Dummett claimed to be a leader in the field of naturopathy but several of his qualifications had been obtained from "dubious" operators and he had previously been convicted of false advertising, Det Sgt Miller said.
The article has more to do with shonky operators as opposed to any real lack of substance when it comes to natural remedies.

After seeing my father being ravaged by "professional traditional medical care" which failed to diagnose a cancer, failed to spot the cancer when it had spread, failed to provide any medication to remove the cancer (he went on a trial, but whenever you go on a trial there is a 50/50 chance that you'll be a control subject who receives sugar tablets instead of medicine) and then failed to provide any kind of solace to him in his last few months (the Western solution is to dose you up with morphine and turn you into a vegetable) alot of Chinese remedies in particular begin to look rather attractive (particularly in the later stages of illness where Western medicine can do nothing to give you any kind of relief).

Last edited:

rama_v

HSC
I remember a program on discovery channel about natural remedies..in this case I think they were talking about ayurveda. A doctor in the show made an interesting point, and that is that the reason many people turn to more natural remedies is that they feel more cared for - in western medicine often the personal touch is not evident , so patients turn to natural remedies from practitioners. Just an interesting thought.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Theres a place for natural medicine however it does not work miracles it will not (alone) cure too much at all. Especially serious conditions.

It has a place in medecine complementing for the shortfalls of modern medecine to suggest that it could replace it is akin to saying that the dark-ages were fun and that the black-plague was great.

jebbie

imrad. yourerad. letshug.
HSC
addymac said:
Theres a place for natural medicine however it does not work miracles it will not (alone) cure too much at all. Especially serious conditions.

It has a place in medecine complementing for the shortfalls of modern medecine to suggest that it could replace it is akin to saying that the dark-ages were fun and that the black-plague was great.
Exactly. When will people learn that natural medicines usually aid in taking away pain or helping the process of healing. We still need western medicine as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)