• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

natural selection (1 Viewer)

MysticalElement

Troll Slayer
HSC
hey..
for a nat select question we got pick an example of natural selection.....
i was gonna use the peppered moth but it my book it says it is well known but recently discredited
does that mean i shouldn't use it :S

K

katie_tully

If it's been discredited then no, I wouldn't suggest using it.

ak08

HSC
Use the example of DDT resistant mosquitoes....very easy to understand

.x.Cookie.x.

HSC
This moth is historically interesting example of natural selection. The original experiement has been criticised because there is some doubt as to whether the moths are found on tree trunks. The moths are usually found under leaves and branches. Further discredit has come because of the original published photographs of the moths were achieved by gluing the moths to the trunks of the tree. However, it still serves as an example of how natural selection may occur.

If you do choose to do this moth and want some info on it feel free to pm me and i'll give it to you.

alex z

HSC
MysticalElement said:
hey..
for a nat select question we got pick an example of natural selection.....
i was gonna use the peppered moth but it my book it says it is well known but recently discredited
does that mean i shouldn't use it :S
well i was studing this and wat i discovered is that the pepper moths are an example of survival of the fittest not natural selection . the black pepper moths only survived because they were able to blend in with there environment the white were picked off by predators. use the cattle tick for natural selection, how humans introduced insecticide, i believe its more artifical then natural but thats what it says in the text book. 100 of my assessment for bio after 2 tests yeah.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)