• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Natural Rate of Unemployment and NAIRU (1 Viewer)

ay_caramba

Crazily Sane.
HSC
:p *long and meaningless ramble was here before*
thanx

Last edited:
C

CaR

lol...no..keep on rambling...

does anyone know the current natural rate of unemployment in australia is?

nova

HSC
Originally posted by mushroom_head
so what has the natural rate of unemployment got to do with inflation?? hehe..i still don't get it!
The natural rate of unemployment, also known as the non-accelerating-inflation rate of unemplyotment is the lowest rate to which unemployment can fall before shortages of labour lead to excessive pay raises and, hence, worsening inflation. (higher wages -> more money to spend -> higher agg demand -> higher prices = inflation)

Read the article "Unemployment limbo: how low should we go?" written by Ross Gittins in the SMH weekend ed, 29-30 may 2004.

mushroom_head

holey moley!
HSC
hey! i get it now! thanQ

Originally posted by kochou
[B
so taht would mean NAIRU/natural rate of unemployments CANT be lower than normal unemployment rate which is under 6% ..? [/B]
that's what i wanna know too. but in the article, Gittens said that they are unsure whether the normal unempl. rate is under the NAIRU so i think it's possible. i "think"!

mushroom_head

holey moley!
HSC
Originally posted by kochou
they try so hard to confuse us, all these names for the same thing grrrr
lol i reckon eh! can't they just stick with the same name to make life easier for people like me?!

C

CaR

maybe they should one day publish an economics thesaurus...that ought to do it =D

yeah thats a good article
there are a few good explanations already, but;
nairu is the same as the 'natural rate'. it is argued that 0% of unemployment is impossible,[ and it is in all of todays economies for a huge number of reasons]. the natural rate is a medium term concept- which can't be accurately measured, but is somewhere between 5-6% at the moment. [ last year it was probably 6-7%..?]

Even if we get unemployment down to 3% - at the cost of say 10% inflation, in a matter of months/weeks- the unemployment rate will rise back up to 5-6% .

hope that helps anyone

nova

HSC
iwantnotes&stuf said:
yeah thats a good article
there are a few good explanations already, but;
nairu is the same as the 'natural rate'. it is argued that 0% of unemployment is impossible,[ and it is in all of todays economies for a huge number of reasons]. the natural rate is a medium term concept- which can't be accurately measured, but is somewhere between 5-6% at the moment. [ last year it was probably 6-7%..?]

Even if we get unemployment down to 3% - at the cost of say 10% inflation, in a matter of months/weeks- the unemployment rate will rise back up to 5-6% .

hope that helps anyone
Was just about to explain exactly the same thing. Nicely done

Wild Dan Hibiki

teh sex0r
HSC
ok so the natural rate of unemployment occurs when all economic resources are employed?

nova

HSC
Wild Dan Hibiki said:
ok so the natural rate of unemployment occurs when all economic resources are employed?
The name NAIRU will help you remember what the natural rate of inflation means.

non-ACCELERATING INFLATION , rate of unemployment

It's the level that unemployment can drop down to, before demand for labour puts up wage rates, which increases agg demand (more money -> want to spend more) which will put up inflation. Hence, the name!

Hope this helps you

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)