nanotechnology in Australia. (1 Viewer)

windows xp

Hi again. I know several people here want to do nanotechnology and have no idea of the place of Australian nanotechnology industry in the world or worse, think that it doesn't exist. I used to think like that but I got some Australian websites for whoever interested

http://www.industry.gov.au/library/content_library/nanoworkshopreport.pdf

http://nanotechnology.gov.au/

And this is a report that can be obtained in NSW State library:

Small things- Big returs: The role of nanotechnology in Australia's future.

The report is from 1993.

Bye

aquaa123qwe

HSC
nano in unsw has high drop out rate
=D

don't choose if you hate doing lab hard work

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
That said, nanotechnology is one of UNSW's strong research interests.

Their degree is pretty tight. It would certainly give you an excellent grounding in nanotech, but there's not much room for choice - you can't combine it or do another major, for example, and the majority fo units are core, even in 3rd and 4th year you've got probably 50% of total units core, with electives from a specific set of mat sci, chem, bio or similar.

I've heard that it's a great degree... but yeah, if you weren't passionate about nanotechnology or couldn't see yourself sticking it through, it'd be a bad choice.

On nano in Aus:

The Queensland Government is the biggest funder for nanotech in Australia, AFAIK. I like their foresight.

That funding went to the University of Queensland for research and development. That's about $200 million IIRC. In good hands, given their excellent reputation for the biological and molecular sciences.

By comparison, NSW government has put up $2 million.

Nice, eh? They call it 'merely a holy grail not worth pursuing' - funny that pretty much any other world government would disagree: japan, most Australian non-NSW goverments, America, European countries like Germany...

Last edited:

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Yeah but NSW needs to throw money at stuff like PUBLIC TRANSPORT and HOSPITALS and PUBLIC SCHOOLS...

...not that any of the above are happening either... :rolleyes:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)