naming your characters (1 Viewer)

holden4ever89

HSC
how do u guys doing short stories or even poetry - come up with the perfect character names to fit. I've been through heaps of them but nothing is fitting (mostly cos his name has to start with a certain letter)

so yer, let me now how you find your character names

cheers

Hallatia

HSC
I am having serious problems naming, I have not named a single character, I came up with the mean nickname thta gets given to my protagonist and that is it and whenever I work on MW I call him it, because I do not know what else to call him

holden4ever89

HSC
well, i have choosen two names that i like, though they probably will change knowing me :) and the best part is they are derivatives related to my main theme- stoked!

how does everyone else feel they are going quality/quantity wise?? i've got lots but its all over the place!

J

jhakka

Or just use substitute names until you can think of something better. My main character was named Waldo until the week before it was due in.

jimmayyy

HSC
i named my character Alphonse Pierre Bailey Luc-Carrere for several reasons

1. he represents post war america (more specifically, new york) - he is a mix of french, german, italian and irish, hence his name is a comical almagamation of the 4 biggest migrators to new york in the 50's (its set in the 70's, he was born in the 50's)

2. its a name people will look at and read over, it will stick in their minds

3. its fun to read - amazingly lyrical for a ame

4. he sounds fucking bad ass.

the hooker in my story doesnt have a name (my character calls her Lizard Woman), the hotel employee is called Katie cus its a mad basic plain name - wat the hotel employee represents

apart from that, theres no other actual characters apart from

- person in 19th century deep sea diver suit and fish bowl helmet
- bell boy
- maid
- eldery man in pork pie hat

all billed as such.

princy

HSC
Neither of my characters are named and I intend to keep it that way. It just works better without names and I find that if I try to name her or the narrator it will be too blatantly symbolic or ridiculous.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)